What's new

Sound bar with TV without audio out (1 Viewer)

Kb4

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Just bought a sound bar only to discover that my TV has no audio out. It only has components, audio in, HDMI in, and a USB. Is there any way I can connect the sound bar to any of those ports?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I can't believe LG is making (or made in this case) tvs without optical output. That's embarrassing.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
At the time this TV was manufactured, there were quite a few entry-level TVs in this size range that did not have audio out, including Samsung.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
If I am understanding this correctly, this HDMI switch from Monoprice will pull the audio out of HDMI sources. Maybe this could be used to drive your soundbar assuming you are using HDMI for input? It is only $45 and could be returned if it doesn't work.

-Keith

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This tv is from 2016. The low end Samsung that year (the 5 series) had a digital output.
If I remember correctly, Samsung had a 4000 series at that time in 32" and smaller that did not have any audio output. We used to sell a lot of those TVs to the senior community across the street, and then a few moths later they would come in looking to add a soundbar or wireless headphones, and found that they could not be added.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If I am understanding this correctly, this HDMI switch from Monoprice will pull the audio out of HDMI sources. Maybe this could be used to drive your soundbar assuming you are using HDMI for input? It is only $45 and could be returned if it doesn't work.

-Keith
That would only work if the OP wasn't using the OTA tuner built-in to the TV or was using a cable box or blu-ray player. But in that case, a soundbar would be feasible for those devices, since most have at least a digital output of some kind.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If I remember correctly, Samsung had a 4000 series at that time in 32" and smaller that did not have any audio output. We used to sell a lot of those TVs to the senior community across the street, and then a few moths later they would come in looking to add a soundbar or wireless headphones, and found that they could not be added.
4 Series was the previous year's model and it did have a 3.5mm line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks