What's new

Sony STR-DA4ES and DA7ES have arrived (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Vince,

I would appreciate it if you would share the retail prices for the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES. Since the 'DA4ES retails for $1000, my guess is the 'DA2ES retails for $700-800.

All,

The quality of Sony's ES receivers has varied a bit in recent years. That notion plus the drop in retail price in going from the 'DA5ES to the 'DA4ES has me concerned. Three years ago, Sony had the 'DA333ES, 'DA555ES, and 'DA777ES. They were all very good. Of course, the 'DA777ES was an awesome piece. The year after, Sony released the "V Series" -- the 'V333ES, 'V444ES, and 'V555ES. I have the 'V444ES (actually in the shop) and have always been happy with it. However, the V Series was generally considered a disappointment in comparison to the 'DA' models from the year before. Of course, the 'DA777ES is considered by many to be much better than the V Series models. So, it seems that many feel that Sony had a down year with the V Series. Last year, Sony released the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES, which have gotten high praise in comparison to the V Series. Something that impressed me immediately last year was the fact that the 'DA5ES retailed for more than the previous year's 'V555ES. Also, the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES weigh about 6.5 lbs. more than the 'V444ES and 'V555ES. I had an idea from the beginning that Sony had stepped it up with the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES, and it did. Now I am concerned that Sony is going backwards with the 'DA4ES, and perhaps the 'DA2ES as well. I hope I am wrong.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I actually am pleased with it-its much improved over the older style that came with my db930. Its still better than the one that comes the the da3es(which, im betting, the da4es gets)

VinceS

Grip
Ok - here's the complete rundown on the MSRP's per our company store

DA1ES - $500
DA2ES - $700
DA4ES - $1000
DA7ES - $2300
The 3ES and 5ES MSRP's have been reduced (I think-can't remember what they were originally) to $800 an $1200 respectively.

I don't want to post our employee prices here (or they'll cut me off...) but let's just say there's close to 100% markup on all of these. From this and back in the day when I used to work for The Wiz in NJ I am still amazed at the markup on amps and speakers - just incredible!

Ted - The 2-way remote that comes with the 5ES is not the same one as the db930? I just got my 5ES yesterday and have not really looked that closely at the remotes as I use a Sony RMVL900 universal remote for everything which I love. I hated the 2-way that came with my db930 and thought it was the same as came with the 5ES. I'll have to check it out.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Anyone here want to comment on the potential sound quality of the DA7ES for stereo listening ??

Vince

Any specs on either of these beasts? By the way, Oade will not match Sammans price. I used to work right up the street from Sammans when I lived in NJ. Order with confidence. They are the ones to beat right now.

Tom

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Does anybody know if the 5ES can be upgraded to do the Composite ---> S-Video upconvert? If so, is it just a software upgrade or is it a hardware upgrade?
Would be nice to have this feature!!:D
Just curious
Angelo

Bob Hickman

Agent
Guys,
My 7ES is to to hit my door next Wednesday (7/31). If Crutchfield does not have the specs posted by then, as soon as I can, I will post them from my owners manual. I can tell you that my shipment weighed in at 62 pounds.
So did anyone else order order one from Sammans? I think I am going to be the first in the US to get one running. Unless someone paid for one or two day shipment.
Bob
:)

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Boy, it looks like I finally may have made the right decision by waiting as long as I have to buy a 'DA5ES! I'm very, very, VERY interested in the 'DA7ES, particularly at Sammans-like prices! Speaking of Sammans, I'm still a little skeptical, but judging by comments in this thread and from Sammans' reviews on audiosurvey.com they may be the "real deal." Still, I'll reserve judgment until someone actually has product in hand and up and running. Bob, if you have the capability, please post pictures of the 'DA7ES if/when you get a chance. I'm waiting with bated breath for those specs! I'd love to hear more about this unit ASAP!!

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Angelo, Regarding firmware upgrade, all 4 people at Sony today didn't know the DA5ES was upgrade-able. He!!, they told me to check the website for info. I told them the DA5ES wasn't even on the website. They told me I was wrong, but all four of them couldn't find it on the web either. They sent me to PC division and they knew nothing either. So I am not going to hold my breath on this one!:angry:
The one rep also told me that "THE BEST WAY TO ENJOY MY 222ES FOR SACD IS TO USE DIGITAL CONNECTIONS NOT ANALOG!":angry:
It's a good thing this beast kicks some serious a$$.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Dan-
HAHAHA :laugh::rolleyes
Sony CS is a joke! I wonder WHERE the best place is to find info about this? The forums seems to be a LOT more suitable for this type of questions!
I'll do some research and whatever i find out, I'll for sure post here!
Angelo

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Vince, thanks for posting the retail prices for the new ES receivers. I am concerned by the $1000 retail price of the 'DA4ES since it is replacing the 'DA5ES. It seems to me that Sony should release a 'DA6ES for $1500 retail. There looks to be a void in the Sony's new lineup.

Do you know if any of the new ES receivers will have two sets of multi-channel inputs, like the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES do? The 'DA7ES certainly should, but hopefully the 'DA4ES will as well.

If my 'V444ES cannot be repaired, I'm not sure what I will do. The longer this thing takes with the 'V444ES, the more likely it will be that the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES will not be available. I would just like to have choices.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'm VERY VERY interesting in finding out all about the DA7ES. I have been putting off buying the 5ES for a few months now and it looks like it might have been a good decision. Whoever gets one first please oh please post pics and specs!

Thanks!

Bob Hickman

Agent
Keith -

Do you know if any of the new ES receivers will have two sets of multi-channel inputs, like the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES do? The 'DA7ES certainly should, but hopefully the 'DA4ES will as well.
The Product Sheet printed in May 2002 states that for both the 4ES and the 7ES:
7.1ch. Input, 5.1Ch Input. I think that is just like the 5ES.
Here is all I have on the 4ES:
110w X 7 amp
Dolby EX, DTS-ES 96/24,Pro logic II, DCS, 32bit DSP
Composite -> S Up-Convert
On Screen Display
1-way LCD remote
2 zone 2 room, 2nd AV out + E. Volume
Component Video In X 2, 50MH HD pass through
S-Video in 5 / Out 2
7.1 pre out
Opt in 4, Coas in 2, Opt out 1
RS-232C for control and upgrade
12 V trigger X 2
IR repeat in x 1, out x 2

7ES all the above plus
120W X 7
2 way LDC remote (RM-TP1), rechargeable + AC adaptor, + second remote (RM-US105A)
3/zone, 3 room
12v trigger X 3
Shipping weight was 62 LBS. (Total boxed package shipment)

Thats all i know, my unit arrives Wednesday as long as the UPS truck does not get lost.

Bob

:b

JackS

Supporting Actor
62 pounds for the DA7? This thing sounds like a monster. The 777 was only 55 pounds for comparison. Like everyone else I would be very interested to see some pics.

Bob Hickman

Agent
62 pounds was total package weight. I am sure at least 5 -6 pounds has to be shipping material. So that places it back around the 777.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks