guys I need your help plz! which one to get, 5es or 4es?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan DC, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Ryan DC

Ryan DC Agent

Hey everyone!

I'm having a dilemma here on which receiver to choose. I have been following the thread titled "Sony STR-DA4ES and DA7ES have arrived" and a lot of you are saying that the 4es might be inferior to the 5es? If this is true I'd like to get my hands on the 5es pretty quick because everyone is about to be out of stock on them. I understand the 4es has a 7th channel of amplification, 12 volt trigger, composite to s-video up converter and 1 remote instead of 2. Is that about all of the new features the 4es has over the 5? What exactly does the up convert and 12 volt trigger do? I would just like your opinions on which one you would get and why because the 5es, even though it's discontinued still costs about $100 more than the 4es and I'd hate to buy the 5es if the 4es is in fact the same but with a little more features for a lower price.

Thank you for your input!

2. Bob Hickman

Bob Hickman Agent

Hi Ryan,

Well as you know, I decided on the 7es, because I wanted the latest from Sony. The up convert allows you to plug in all your other gear, DVD, TV, VCRs, etc, and the receiver takes that signal, and outputs it on one s-video connector that connects to your TV. If you have limited connections on your TV, this is a big help (you only need one S-video input). If you wife( or anyone else for that matter) gets confused as to which imput to set the TV on, this also helps, (only one choice).

The 12 volt trigger can be used to auto-power up a powered sub-woofer (assuming it has a 12 volt trigger), or if you move up to seperate amps, it can be use to trigger the "on" for the amp.

Hope that helps some,
    Bob

3. tom j r

tom j r Agent

Ryan,

I am in a similar situation right now myself, except the timing is very good financially for me right now. I too am wondering if it would be a good idea to pick up a 5ES before they are gone.

Anyone else want to comment on how the 4ES compares to the 5ES?

BTW, my plan would be to use a Parasound amp (855A or 1205A) and the receiver as a pre-pro, so my concern is less with amplification than it is with features and processing power.

Tom

4. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

FWIW. Sony recently replaced my defective DA5ES with a new DA4ES. IMO the DA4ES is every bit as good as the 5 and for my purposes better. Spec
    wise identical with the exception of weight DA5 20 kg, DA4 21kg, feature wise
    Sony has eliminated 3rd room capability and dual remotes in the DA4 however added 7.1 certainly more practical than features I would have never used. As for price the DA5 hit the street with a MSRP of $1500 that quickly dropped to $1200 and could be found online for as little as $750 from an authorized Sony online dealer. I think pricing for the DA4ES is more in line with reality rather than a downgrade. I would suggest you buy from an authorized dealer, I did and got a
    new receiver had I not the DA5ES I had might very well have ended up in a landfill. Good luck.

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Can someone explain the "3rd Room capability". Does the 4ES still do a second room or set of speakers? Just not 3 zones, I guess?

Aaron

6. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone tell me if the bass management on the 5ES will work if it is used as a pre/pro with external amplification?

Thanks!

7. Mark Davenport

Mark Davenport Stunt Coordinator

Sony receivers work very well as pre/pro they have more features and adjustments than almost any pre/pro out there.
    I have a V444es and had a Da5es for a week, it was not an upgrade at all to my V444es so I sent it back. It was not bad but they took out a couple of the EQ features that the V444es had and if you used the 3rd room option in the DA5es it took away your center speaker.

I would go for the DA4es as I didn't really like the DA5es.
    I'll probably keep my V444es, until I can afford a Pioneer 49tx or whatever replaces that model.

I'm currently using the 444es with the 5.1 channel sony ES amp TAN9000es and every processer function works great. I use my receiver to drive the fronts and surrounds and use my amp to drive a second pair of fronts and the center. This works really well. I have two Aperion subs to round it all out.

8. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I had just the opposite experience. I had just purchased a 5es & had the opportunity to return it & get the 4es for ~$50 more. After playing around with the 4es I came away with the impression that sony cut corners on this model & was skeptical of many things-among them if put out anywhere near its rated performance. I decided to keep the 5es(I also love the 2-way remote on the 5es)& wait to see what professional reviews & testing on the 4es turned up.

9. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Do most Sony owners catch the upgrade bug like the rest of 'em? i.e. do you think we could be seeing a few 5ES's come to the used market now that the new ones are out?

Aaron

10. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Ted
    When you say playing around with the 4ES
    did you mean a few minutes at the dealers showroom or did you actually bring the receiver home and test it under normal conditions. Additionally how did Sony cut corners on the 4ES, it was designed to eliminate the second remote and 3rd room capability it was also priced $500 less than the DA5ES initial MSRP. Performance wise spec's are identical with the exception of weight with 4ES 1kg heavier which to me is not a bad thing.

11. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

What happened to SONY's pre/pro market: i.e., a replacement for the E9000ES? I've been waiting for the supposed 10ES pre/pro for some time; my 9000 pre/pro is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Has anyone heard anything about a new Sony pre/pro?

Gary

12. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Ted,
    Please let us know why you think Sony "cheapened" the DA4es compared to the DA5. Have you had the opportunity to audition the DA4 by any chance?

Beside the 1-way remote, the binding posts on the DA4es appear to be different but I really can't tell anything from the pics. Would you change your mind if you could enable 2-way control on the DA4 and use your DA5's remote?

Also heard some noise that the 10ES may be available next year. We'll have to see.

13. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Does the 4ES manual state if it has 192/24 DACs like the 5ES? All the web site specs for the 4ES (& 7ES) don't mention this.

14. AaronWT

AaronWT Agent

I haven't seen 192/24 DACs mentioned anywhere with the new ES receivers. But my 4ES sounds great. If I could change anything it would be the smaller 2 way remote that was with the 5ES. That is an upgraded version of the 2 way remote I had with my 30ES. I was very used to it. the thing I don't like about the 4ES 1 way remote is the roller to choose the functions or sound-fields. Otherwise, at least by the specs, it is exactly like the 5ES without 3 room capability, or a second subwoofer out. The 4 ES will decode DTS 96/24 material. The Queen song on the DTS demo disc#6 sounded great in DTS 6/24. Plus the 7th channel is better to have than just 6.
    The Dolby site recommends 2 back surround speakers, not 1.

15. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

16. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

17. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

On the DA5ES...

18. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

If it is a must that you have to have 2 rear center surrounds then it also must be a must that you have 2 front center speakers! But since we all know that is BS then so to is the insistance that you must have 2 rear center surrounds!

19. AaronWT

AaronWT Agent

No one says you must have 2 surround back speakers. It is just recommended to enable a more diffuse and natural surround effect.(from the Dolby.com site)
    I know it definitely sounds better with 2 back surrounds than with one. At least in my home theater.
    My Home Theater
    My DVD Collection

20. BrunoB

BrunoB Auditioning

I bought a DA3ES as new but came as a refurbished unit and stoppped working after one hour of use. No luck. I have sent it back and got my money back.

Now the dilemma: should I upgrade and buy the 4ES or 5ES? I liked the DA3ES amps (the only thing I could test, the digital and video sections were dead). It has very good bass, very smooth high treble, is very dynamic but has a slight recessed medium. Vocals are very natural (I have 5 Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 speakers).

Would the DA4ES amps be as good? Or may be better? When compared to the DA5ES, the DA4ES has one extra amp, weight 1 KG more but the chassis is no larger. This is similar to Sony VA555ES and VA333ES in Europe. The VA333ES is a brand new model that has 7 channels, the same decoding and processing capabilities as the DA4ES. Both have the same weigth (21KG, according to Sony Australian web site). According to the "What Hifi?" british magazine (october 2002), the VA333ES is sonically inferior to the VA555ES, although the specs for the amplifier sections are the same.

Thanks for any advice and comment,

Bruno