Sony STR-DA4ES and DA7ES have arrived

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Hickman, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Bob Hickman

Bob Hickman Agent

I just ordered the 7ES!!!! I cannot wait for UPS to arrive.
    The only thing I know is:
    120W X 7
    All the latest modes
    Composite ->> S Up-convert
    RM-TP1 Touch Panel 2 way LCD remote, + extra remote
    3 zone, 2nd room with pre-out with E-volume (what is e-volume), 3rd room 2ch pre-out, with full 7.1 channels maintained in main room.
    All the goddies the 5ES (well I am assuming this) had and more.
    Check out www.sammans.com then ask for Joe or Al. They have provided me with great prices, and great service for over 10 years.
    The 4ES has
    110WX7, all the modes, only 2 zone, 1-way remote
    Composite ->> S Up-convert
    I will post the detailed specs on the 7ES next week after my unit arrives if Crutchfield has not posted them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I thought they were not coming out till this fall?

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

How much?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bob, thanks for the information. You might want to fix your link, as there is a comma at the end. Sammans.com does not show Sony ES receivers on its web site. Are they an authorized dealer?

Does sammans.com have the receivers in stock or did you pre-order the 'DA7ES? Crutchfield.com has no information posted about them.

5. Bob Hickman

Bob Hickman Agent

Keith,

They just got a shipment in today. Just a few 7's and i am not sure how many of the 4's. They never have the ES's on their web page. I just posted the link so you can find out about the company. Give them a call. If you want, you can wait a few more weeks until other dealers get in the units, then you would have a price for Sammans to beat.

The last time I checked with Sony, like 9 years ago they were an authorized dealer. I have had a few of my Sony's in need of minor warrenty repair, and I never had any problem with getting warrenty work after buying them from this dealer. But i agree with many other posters, that for Sony warrenty repair, you just need the receipt. They have never been picky with where you bought your unit.

As for the price, call them up, they have always given me a better deal then any other dealer. I am not sure why, but they do not like to publicly post their prices.

Bob

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bob, thanks for the info. They certainly are a dealer to consider. You may know that my Sony STR-V444ES receiver is in for repair. It is currently with Sony, and hopefully I will have a verdict soon. I am skeptical about Sony's ability to fix it given the damage it might have suffered. In any event, I will keep sammans.com in mind, but as you said, I will wait until more dealers have the receivers in the hopes of getting a better price.

7. Thomas Molnar

Just got off the phone with sammans - $640 for the 4ES, $1440 for the 7ES! Damn! I just bought the 5 ES 2 weeks ago for $800. Then, I decided to go for the Harman Kardon 520 for $600. Oh my God, what to do? I would only consider the 4 ES at this point.

8. VinceS

VinceS Extra

Keith,

How long has your 444ES been with Sony in the shop? Back in April I had to take my DB930 in because of a problem with the LFE channel and they replaced a circuit board and sent it back to me. when I got it and plugged it in it was DOA so I sent it back. They had it for another 3 weeks and 4 circuit boards that kept on failing before agreeing to replace it. Originally they were going to let me upgrade to a new 5ES for only $250 but after only being able to find a B-Stock 5ES hey are doing an even swap for the B-stock unit which just arrived today. So basically push 'em to just replace the unit and hoefully you can get your hands on the 4ES!

One feature I wish I had ni the 5ES is the composite to S-video up convert - my vcr and tv only have composite outs. I've got a couple of dongle things to convert to s-video but tey don't always work great. I would have thought this would be a common feature by now. I think I can live without the 7 channel amp.

9. VinceS

VinceS Extra

BTW - that's cheap for the 4es and 7es! MSRP per Sony is $1000 and $2300 respectively!

Vince

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Vince, I brought the 'V444ES to a local electronics repair shop on June 1st. This shop is authorized to do warranty repairs on Sony products. Their main repair engineer was on vacation for a couple of weeks, and they were generally slow. They determine a couple of weeks ago that they could not repair the receiver. They know that something is wrong with the power amp section, but they are not sure what. As a result, they took the receiver to a local Sony repair center. The receiver has been logged in, so I can check the status of the repair on Sony's web site. At present, the status is as follows"

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thomas, those are great prices for the 'DA4ES and 'DA7ES, especially for the 'DA7ES. Back in September 2000, I bought my 'V444ES from J&R Music World for $640, and it retailed for $1000. It's nice to know that the same deal is available for the 'DA4ES. I had no idea that the 'DA7ES would be available so far below the MSRP.

12. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

It looks like the DA5ES has been removed from the J&R website. I believe my return period ended today, so I hope I don't end up being pissed off that the new line is already here. I kept telling myself that the new stuff would still be a way off, and even when it did come it wouldn't do much new and would be more expensive (judging by the original price of the 5ES). If the 4es will replace the 5es, add a few little things, and still be cheaper, then I'm not going to be very happy [​IMG] .

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brett, I understand your potential frustration. However, I am concerned about the 'DA4ES being the replacement for the 'DA5ES. Jim Oade at Oade Bros. told me a couple of weeks ago that the 'DA4ES would replace the 'DA5ES. When the 'DA5ES came out last October, it retailed for $1500. The early word is that the 'DA4ES retails for $1000. Prices of successive-generation components sometime drop relative to prices for the preceding generation, but frankly, receiver prices haven't been falling so drastically so fast. A 33% reduction in the MSRP concerns me. The first thing I want to know is how much the 'DA4ES weighs.

14. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I would also be very wary of such a considerable price drop in the Sony line for like replacement models. But then again, times are a changing!

15. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Brett- I understand how you feel. I know you would have at least liked to compare the DA5 with the DA4. Lets look on the brighter side, how much better could the DA4 actually be? My uneducated guess is there will be very little difference.My thought is " what could possibly be added to the new model that the DA5 doesn't have"? Anything added would only be icing on the cake that would no doubt,add little to the pleasure of owning the DA5. The DA5 was the flagship receiver this last year and the DA4 will play second fiddle to the DA7. The DA5 is a proven commodity, the DA4/7 still have to prove themselves. The safest bet for anyone buying a ES receiver today would be the DA5. The coming months will have to prove the worthiness the the new successors . If I had to guess what the added features were going to be, I'd guess that Sony may have simplified some of the DA5 settings in light of all the questions and misunderstandings that have come to light on this and other forums. If I'm wrong , well I'll consider it just another mistake among many. Best of luck. Jack

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jack,

One thing the 'DA4ES offers 7.1-channel decoding. The 'DA7ES offers composite video-to-S-video conversion, but I don't know if the 'DA4ES offers it.

Dan,

Jim Oade told me a couple of weeks ago that he did not expect his prices on the 'DA2ES and 'DA4ES to be any more than his current prices on the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES (at least what he had been selling the 'DA5ES for) since the technology was getting cheaper and cheaper. I understand that viewpoint, but a 33% drop in MSRP from one year's model to the next concerns me. As I said, I want to know what the 'DA4ES weighs. The 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES weigh 44 lbs.

17. Brett Miles

Brett Miles Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm . . . I didn't realize that there was quite such a difference in MSRP. Keith, I am also now curious what could be sacrificed, if anything, to meet the drop. I would agree that such sizable %decrease would unlikely be due to the falling price of the same parts one year later(not that I know anything about the cost of receiver parts). I think JackS has made a valid point on the "sure thing" quality of the 5ES. From what I've read a quality Sony unit from one year does not necessarily carry over to the next. At the very least, I always like to read a good shoot-out. Hopefully someone has the means to do it, but I'm going to have to put a hex on the new units [​IMG] . Sorry perspective owners, I have to "protect" the value of the DA5ES [​IMG] !

18. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Keith, I agree. I guess when the DA5ES came out it was 1,499.00 I think. So its replacement at approx 640.00 from the above post make me wonder whether we can really even compare without further sights and specs. I think I will just sit back and keep listening to my DA5ES and see how things pan out. I agree with Jacks comments as well.

19. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

20. VinceS

VinceS Extra

FYI about the MSRP's I posted above on the 4ES and 7ES - I work for Sony (Columbia Pic's to be specific) and we have a pretty generous employee purchase program - a nice little benefit. Anyway, the prices are from our Sony Store's listing and they are accurate as far as being Sony's MSRP. If anyone is interested I can fill you in on the 1ES and 2ES MSRP's tomorrow when I'm back in the office - the system is on an intranet that I can not access from home. There's usually an info page that would have the specs (weight included) but it hasn't been filled in yet.