What's new

Sony Introduces Exciting new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Considering what I have aimed for when I moved to a Marantz SR-8012 receiver and a Sony XBR55A9F 55" 4K OLED TV I am now wondering if the Sony UBP-800M2 will be good enough? I see that the play has an MSRP of $299 so can it perform to the level of my main components? Or should I be reconsidering getting another 4K blu-ray player like a Panasonic or Pioneer Elite?

Must have:
Compatibility with SACD & DVD-A
Compatibility with immersive audio (Atmos & DTS-X)
HDR 10
Dolby Vision

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Or should I be reconsidering getting another 4K blu-ray player like a Panasonic or Pioneer Elite?

Must have:
HDR 10
Dolby Vision
I am not sure about the Pioneer, but the Panasonic offerings will not give you SACD or DVD-A support.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My concern about the Sony UBP-X800M2 will not perform up to the standards of the Marantz SR-8012 or the Sony XBR55A9F 4K OLED. The goal is to have a well balanced player audio and video wise. If I was to go with the Panasonic I would then have to buy another player for SACD and DVD-A like a Marantz. Going to keep the Pioneer Elite on my list for the time being. But I just noticed the Sony UBP-X1100ES and am going to look further into that player instead of the 800M2. I know the 800M2 will MSRP at $299 but what will the 1100ES MSRP for and will it compete with the Panasonic or Pioneer Elite?

IMG_2353a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Oppo does, if you can find one.

I have always heard good things about Oppo but I see prices higher than I want to pay for a player. And what if I can not get the player repaired under warranty or if they stop updating the player and some titles will not play? I have some serious concerns getting a player where the company has pulled themselves out of the market.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Considering what I have aimed for when I moved to a Marantz SR-8012 receiver and a Sony XBR55A9F 55" 4K OLED TV I am now wondering if the Sony UBP-800M2 will be good enough? I see that the play has an MSRP of $299 so can it perform to the level of my main components? Or should I be reconsidering getting another 4K blu-ray player like a Panasonic or Pioneer Elite?

Must have:
HDR 10
Dolby Vision
What have you heard (other than the price) that makes you think the UBP-M800M2 may not be good enough?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just from experience lower cost players and gear doesn't tend to compete performance wise with the more expensive gear. And I want something that is going to get me the best picture to my Sony OLED. Granted I feel $1,200 is the max I can spend on a player so I can not just go nuts. I am looking at pairing a $299 player to a $3,000 Marantz receiver and a $3,500 Sony OLED TV and thinking I need something better.

IMG_2353a.jpg

IMG_2530a.jpg

IMG_2519a.jpg

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Actually I have found price matters to a point, then the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I have an AV7704 with about 3kw of amplification and some decent speakers. I chose a Sony 75" 900f, as my wife said we needed 75" and I couldn't justify a 77" Oled.

I am waiting for the UBP-M800M2 because I have been quite pleased with my BDP-S370, which when I bought it was not top of the line, but has served me quite well. If you find anything that shows specific weaknesses in the 800M2, I would be grateful if you passed it along before I purchase it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just from experience lower cost players and gear doesn't tend to compete performance wise with the more expensive gear. And I want something that is going to get me the best picture to my Sony OLED. Granted I feel $1,200 is the max I can spend on a player so I can not just go nuts. I am looking at pairing a $299 player to a $3,000 Marantz receiver and a $3,500 Sony OLED TV and thinking I need something better.

If you are going to just use the HDMI connection for all audio and use your receiver's DACs for processing, I doubt you will notice any difference between the X-800M2 and the ES player. I do not think the video sections vary much, if at all, between the players. You will also get a longer warranty with the ES unit, but that's about it.

I have the current Sony X-800 model, and have been quite satisfied with the player. The only thing it lacks is Dolby Vision support. I may upgrade to the M2, but only if Sony didn't use the same kludgy implementation for Dolby Vision that they used on their X-700 model. I am buying fewer 4K discs and more digital copies lately, so I don't feel any urgency to upgrade if I cannot find a player that does exactly what I want, in the manner I want it, for a price I am willing to pay.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am waiting for the UBP-M800M2 because I have been quite pleased with my BDP-S370, which when I bought it was not top of the line, but has served me quite well. If you find anything that shows specific weaknesses in the 800M2, I would be grateful if you passed it along before I purchase it.

Oh I totally agree about the law of diminishing returns. There is just so much you can spend before there is no benefit to spending more. I went back into research mode but would be more than happy to share any weaknesses if I actually pull the trigger on the 800M2. I want the best I can afford and do not want to go back and buy another player unless I am buying it for my other system.

Currently looking into:
Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

Still Considering:
Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

If I decide to drop SACD and DVD-A features and just go pure video player for movies.
Panasonic DP-UB820-K 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

Still need the following for my home theater:
Klipsch RC-64 Center Channel
Klipsch Atmos Speakers to replace my Advent Marbles using for Atmos
Emotiva Three Channel Power Amp

20190414_122327a.jpg

20190101_150852a.jpg

1ab940af-c252-410d-a9eb-75539e8d4df5.jpg

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Things in my systems just get demoted. When I acquire the new Blu-Ray player for my living room system the BDP s370 will move to the family room, the Toshiba in the family room goes to my home "office." and so it goes.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Hmmm... I have an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1. I have a spare channel on my Sherbourn 5/1500a, I have an old Adcom GFA 555 II....

I'll have to think about this some. I kinda like the symmetry of all the "floor" speakers powered by Emotivas... If I decide to let the XPA-3 go, I'll let you know.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am doing the same thing with my gear. At one time my home theater was centered around my Yamaha RX-V995 and then the Pioneer Elite SC-05 took its place and the Yamaha became the amplifier for my pc. Then I purchased the Marantz SR-8012 receiver then the Pioneer took the Yamaha's place and the Yamaha is now boxed. The current Samsung 4K blu-ray will get moved to my bedroom system after I get my new upgraded 4K blu-ray player. Appreciate the offer very nice of you.

https://www.valueelectronics.com/UBP-X800M2_UHD_BD_player.php

https://www.valueelectronics.com/UBP-X1000ES_4K_BD_player.php

https://www.valueelectronics.com/uploads/Panasonic_UB9000_rev._b__1_.pdf

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just bought the new Sony 800M2 at BB. Not even out till the end of the month.

Had to return the Panny 820 which just wouldn’t play nice with my OLED and Yamaha receiver.

Hope to have better luck with this one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just bought the new Sony 800M2 at BB. Not even out till the end of the month.

Had to return the Panny 820 which just wouldn’t play nice with my OLED and Yamaha receiver.

Hope to have better luck with this one.
Please let us know how you like the player. I am especially curious about the Dolby Vision implementation -- whether you have to manually turn it on and off like with the Sony X700.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Unfortunately yes. Outputs everything in Dolby Vision when set to on.
Thanks for the information. That sucks. I don't know why Sony implemented DV this way. I can check this player off my list for now. Maybe if the price drops a lot during the holidays I will reconsider.

With my UHD disc purchases slowing down (been buying 4K via streaming more due to the price), I may just stick with my current Sony X800 until it dies and continue to do without DV support. I don't feel like spending $500 on the Panasonic 820, and it looks like the Panny 450 will not be sold in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks