What's new

Sony STR-DA4ES and DA7ES have arrived (1 Viewer)

Chip E

Screenwriter
Keith,
Me thinks you need to see a 7ES for yourself as soon as their available near you (where?). Maybe get a good deal on a 5ES.. Crutcfield has to put up the specs soon. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, I would like to see the 'DA7ES. However, if my 'V444ES is toast, I will likely be looking more seriously at the 'DA4ES. Since music is my main interest and I have dedicated stereo system, I don't need a "flagship" home-theater receiver. In the end, I could see getting a 'DA3ES or 'DA5ES.
I am checking Crutchfield's web site daily looking for information on the new receivers. As I have said, what I really want to know is how much the new models weigh. That will give me an initial indication of the quality of the new models. Unfortunately, Crutchfield does not post weights. :frowning: Anyway, weight doesn't tell the whole story, so I will have to check them out in person.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
What I don't understand, assuming all the information coming in is correct, is why Sony would discontinue excellent receivers like the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES and replace them with inferior models?
Holy speculation, Batman! Keith, why would you assume the the 'DA4ES would be an "inferior receiver" compared to the 'DA5ES? There was only one opinion thus far (reported secondhand by Ted based on his salesman's comments) that would substantiate that conclusion, and I'd definitely take anything a salesman says with a grain of salt. I guess the key phrase in your statement was "assuming all the information coming in is correct." Still, based on how low the MSRP of the 'DA5ES dropped before it was discontinued (to $1000 IIRC), I'd expect the 'DA4ES to be fully its equal, if not better. :emoji_thumbsup:
Regardless, I'm gunning for the 'DA7ES, and hope that it turns out to be a worthy successor to the 'DA777ES. At its reported MSRP, it damn-well oughta be! ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, you are right. I am speculating, as indicated by the disclaimer you quoted. However, I have been concerned from the beginning by the MSRP of $1000 on the 'DA4ES. I figure Sony dropped the retail prices of the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES to make room for the new models. Sony typically does that. So, the 'DA5ES now retails for $1200 (Crutchfield sells it for $1000), but I would not have expected the replacement model to start off priced lower than the current retail price of the 'DA5ES. That just caught me off guard.

What also has me wondering is that Sony is all the over the place with model numbers. It's odd for a 'DA5ES to be replaced by a 'DA4ES that would be as good or better. Other manufacturers make things simpler. Denon made the AVR-3801. It was replaced by the '3802. With some manufacturers, I feel it is easier to get an idea of what you will get. Sony is all over the place with its ES receivers.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Dont get me wrong-the salesman wasnt totally ripping on the new receivers-he just seemed disappointed(or at least thats how he came off) I do hear that the touchscreen that comes with the da7es is pretty nice! Thanks for the further info on the da5es dacs Keith :)

JackS

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking that a true replacement for the DA5 would have been designated a DA55 or something simular or as Keith stated a DA6 although this would have been totally out of character . I'm also thinking and guessing that the DA4 is not a replacement for the DA5. As Keith noted, the vacuum between the DA4/7 could lead one to beleive in the possibility that one more receiver is yet to be introduced. Speculation is always interesting. I expect many of our questions will soon be answered.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ted,
No problem. I would assume Crutchfield is correct, but I obviously can't say for sure.
As for the 'DA7ES, for $2300, it should come with a nice remote. However, it should offer other obvious advantages over the 'DA4ES beyond the remote. Better sound quality would be nice. :)
Jack,
I have a feeling we won't see any other models from Sony this year. Two years ago, when Sony replaced the 'DA333ES, 'DA555ES, and 'DA777ES with the 'V333ES, 'V444ES, and 'V555ES, it was immediately apparent that there was no true replacement for the 'DA777ES. I was hoping that Sony would come out with a 'V777ES at a later date, but it never happened. I have a feeling that the 'DA1ES, 'DA2ES, 'DA4ES, and 'DA7ES will be it for this year. At least in this case, Sony is releasing a "flagship" model.
By the way, I keep putting "flagship" in quotes like Dr. Evil with "laser" because we don't know at this point if the 'DA7ES is worthy of the term.

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I've been reading the back and back forth on this speculatory debate. I must say, unless someone has A-B'd the 4ES vs 5ES vs 7ES ... what's the point? As for the sales guy who called the 4ES and 7ES lesser models than the current 3ES and 5ES, can I assume he just wants a higher commission or gets a spiff because he's trying to push an older model out the door at a higher price (at least in the case of the 4ES vs 3ES and 5ES)? But again, who am I to speculate. Maybe his brother works for Sony. ;-)

As for me, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and bet that the 4ES is going to be a better receiver than the 5ES. I know for sure it's going to add more value than the 3ES as that unit did not have DD-EX or DTS-EX (whereas the 4ES does). I should be expecting my 4ES this Friday (ordered from Sammans.com at $680 shipped). I'll let you know how it performs.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
As for me, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and bet that the 4ES is going to be a better receiver than the 5ES.
Awesome!! I'm eagerly awaiting reviews of the 'DA4ES and the 'DA7ES AND reviews of the service you receive from Sammans. It sure seems like they're the price leader right now, and if their service and product delivery is up-to-stuff, I won't hesistate to order from them. Please keep us posted!

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Greg.

I've always been a firm believer that newer technology always beats older technology (9 times out of 10) when comparing like models (ie. 4ES vs 5ES).

But again, I'll just have to see when my 4ES arrives and I get a chance to run it through a series of sound tests.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
This week Im going back & they are supposed to have the da4es & da7es available for me to try-I just got the da5es & I can exchange it for either of the 2 newer models if I want. The da4es is $50 more & the da7es is $1100 more-if either are worth it Ill return the da5es & get that model-ill let you know.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marvin,

I certainly agree with what you said. At this point, I don't know how the new ES receivers will stack up to the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES or if the 'DA7ES is a true "flagship" receiver. However, the early word on the new models is not positive.

You said:

I've always been a firm believer that newer technology always beats older technology (9 times out of 10) when comparing like models (ie. 4ES vs 5ES).
Yes, but Sony has been known to vary the quality of its ES receivers. The 'V' series was generally regarded as a disappointment, and the general consensus is that Sony has not made an equal to the 'DA777ES in the last two product lines. I certainly hope the 'DA4ES and 'DA7ES are worthy successors to the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES. We shall see.

Please do give us a review of the 'DA4ES. What is sammans.com's return policy?

Ted,

If you do compare the 'DA4ES and/or 'DA7ES to the 'DA5ES, please do report the results. I'm not sure I will be able to do the same comparisons locally.

RichardMA

Second Unit
This is generally the case, thanks to continuously falling
electronics prices due to chip count reductions. However,
rabid "cost cutting" can take it's toll. But, given
the price of top receivers now (high) compared to 10
years ago (low) I doubt whether much cost cutting now
takes place, at least in the flagship area.

Bob Hickman

Agent
Guys,

Sammans return policy is one that expects you to know what receiver you want before you order it. They only take back out-of-box failures. Their complete return policy is on their web page. Below is the gist of it -

"
RETURN POLICY:

Because of the industry we are in, we can only accept returns on Dead On Arrival products and damaged shipments. The consumer is responsible for any shipping charges back to our location in Wayne, New Jersey 07470. Credits can also be given for your order minus the shipping charges & any re-stocking charges. We require that the card holder's billing and shipping information be the same (orders sent to an address other than the card holder's billing address will be denied unless our special shipping instructions are followed.)
"

I have purchased over $5,000 dollars worth of goods over the past 10 years from Sammans. Everything came on time, double boxed. I never had a problem, so I do not know what they really do if there is a problem, hope I never need to fine out.

I even ordered my 35" top of the line Mitsubishi TV from them back in 95. Still working just fine. My son really want me to upgrade the TV, so he can have the Mitsubishi.

The UPS truck is due Wednesday. Not long now.
Bob

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bob, thanks for the information. For my peace of mind, I would want to see the ES receivers first-hand before ordering from sammans.com. I would not be comfortable ordering something "blind" if I could not return it for a full refund. That's just me. I know you have had good experiences with Sammans.

Sammans' policy states:

Because of the industry we are in, we can only accept returns on Dead On Arrival products and damaged shipments. The consumer is responsible for any shipping charges back to our location in Wayne, New Jersey 07470. Credits can also be given for your order minus the shipping charges & any re-stocking charges.
Does this mean that they charge a restocking fee even on a DOA item? I would hope not. Pehaps if you get a DOA item, they expect you to request a replacement rather than a refund.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Anybody know for sure that Sammans is an authorized Sony ES dealer? $1440 is a hell of a lot cheaper than what my local authorized dealer is selling the da7es for. If they are ill return my 5es & buy from Sammans

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Anybody know for sure that Sammans is an authorized Sony ES dealer? $1440 is a hell of a lot cheaper than what my local authorized dealer is selling the da7es for. If they are ill return my 5es & buy from Sammans
Why does it matter? Sony doesn't care where you bought it from. I am unable to speak to if they're authorized.

Seth

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Why does it matter? Sony doesn't care where you bought it from

They do when it comes time for Sony to honor the warranty. There was some speculation on this board if sony actually cared(Denon & Yamaha do-to name a few) so I called & asked sony. They told me that they will honor warranties on equipment that were only bought from authorized resellers. I mentioned that some people have claimed that it wasnt true & Sony had authorized repairs on units bought from non-authorized dealers. He said this was true in the past(it depended on who at Sony handled the claim), but Sony has now cracked down on this practice & wants to make sure only warranties on units bought from authorized dealers are honored.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
a) Restrictions on disclaimers or modifications
No supplier may disclaim or modify (except as provided in subsection (b) of this section) any implied warranty to a consumer with respect to such consumer product if
(1) such supplier makes any written warranty to the consumer with respect to such consumer Product, or
You can find the entire text of the act here http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/ch50.html
Seth

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I can provide you with the full verbage of what's on Sony's warranty card if you like. The only issue I see is that ES equipment has been shipping with cards that only indicate a 3 year warranty.

Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks