What's new

Sony Introduces Exciting new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (1 Viewer)

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
That’s a shame was hoping dv would be auto. Looks pretty much like the x800 with the 700 dv toggle. The only issue I have with my panny 820 is with dv on everything is dv but all else is auto

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That’s a shame was hoping dv would be auto. Looks pretty much like the x800 with the 700 dv toggle. The only issue I have with my panny 820 is with dv on everything is dv but all else is auto

Are you saying that the 820 will output DV even for 4K titles that are HDR only? Mine sure didn't work that way.

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
Are you saying that the 820 will output DV even for 4K titles that are HDR only? Mine sure didn't work that way.
Sorry my error this happens only on netflicks on the 820 but evidently on everything on the Sony m2 just as the X700’s. I love the panny but wanted a good backup still might go for one of the Sony’s.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Sorry my error this happens only on netflicks on the 820 but evidently on everything on the Sony m2 just as the X700’s. I love the panny but wanted a good backup still might go for one of the Sony’s.

I was initially going to go with a Sony 4K UHD blu-ray player but will go with the Panasonic UB9000 instead. Am also thinking of doing the same thing and pick up a Sony as a back up player. Maybe even use the Sony in my bedroom system.

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
I was initially going to go with a Sony 4K UHD blu-ray player but will go with the Panasonic UB9000 instead. Am also thinking of doing the same thing and pick up a Sony as a back up player. Maybe even use the Sony in my bedroom system.
I have the 820,the 9000 just more than I need but a great unit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I may end up with the Panny 820 eventually -- if I can get it on sale for less than the $500 it's going for new right now. I don't really need the HDR optimizer, as I have a 70-inch 4K LED display and not a front projector. Maybe if Best Buy has a 15% off sale when using their credit card.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am perfectly satisfied with my X700, but I'm disappointed Sony didn't change to automatic Dolby Vision implementation with their new Sony model.

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
Now available from bb. Not only is there no auto Dolby vision but very limited streaming apps just Netflix,amazon prime,and you tube. There are six reviews mentioning this. Everything else about this player they like. All considered I might pickup one as a backup.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Now available from bb. Not only is there no auto Dolby vision but very limited streaming apps just Netflix,amazon prime,and you tube. There are six reviews mentioning this. Everything else about this player they like. All considered I might pickup one as a backup.

From the reviews looks like it comes packaged with a couple of movies also, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse & Jumanji. They don't specify if it's the original or Welcome to the Jungle, I would guess it's Welcome to the Jungle.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr

Thank you. I just found this. My Sony locks up every once in a while. I hope the firmware update will solve the problem. I had never done an update like this, but the instructions were easy to follow (using flashdrive) and the update installed perfectly. Time will tell if the update will solve the lock-up problem. Previously when this happened, I unplugged the player, then plugged in again and that solved the problem. But it almost always happened when I had company and wanted to show off a disk.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I had $400 of Best Buy gift cards to use, so I upgraded my UHD BluRay player to the Sony
UBP-X800M2. I hope it’s a good player that will hold up (it was $300 at the Lexington Hamburg store).

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Thank you. I just found this. My Sony locks up every once in a while. I hope the firmware update will solve the problem. I had never done an update like this, but the instructions were easy to follow (using flashdrive) and the update installed perfectly. Time will tell if the update will solve the lock-up problem. Previously when this happened, I unplugged the player, then plugged in again and that solved the problem. But it almost always happened when I had company and wanted to show off a disk.

The firmware update has not stopped the player from locking up every once in a while. Usually when I have company and am trying to show a disc. I have to power completely off at the plug to fix.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had $400 of Best Buy gift cards to use, so I upgraded my UHD BluRay player to the Sony
UBP-X800M2. I hope it’s a good player that will hold up (it was $300 at the Lexington Hamburg store).
I ended up going with the Panasonic 820 instead as a Dolby Vision upgrade to my original Sony X800. I couldn't get past Sony's decision for manually switching DV on/off, plus the reported lockups (my X800 occasionally does that). I bought it on sale for $450 from Value Electronics, with free shipping and no sales tax. With your $400 in Best Buy credits, the Panny wouldn't cost you very much for a better designed player.

Ironically, with each new format I seem to follow the same pattern - - my first player is an early generation Sony, and I then upgrade to a Panasonic device. My first DVD player was a Sony S300, and I upgraded to the venerable Panasonic RP91. I did the same thing with Blu-ray, and now UHD.

Last edited:
Bought a SONY X-800M2 4K player from Best Buy, Chicago... bundled with 2 free discs...

upload_2019-8-30_12-37-50.jpeg

upload_2019-8-30_12-37-8.jpeg

upload_2019-8-30_12-38-10.jpeg

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyone still using the player this topic is originally for?

I am, but will be getting a 4K tv soon and will need to get aplayer that also has DV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Anyone still using the player this topic is originally for?

I am, but will be getting a 4K tv soon and will need to get aplayer that also has DV.
I still have my original Sony X800 in my main home theater. It doesn't get used much, as I use my Panny 820 for pretty much all movie discs. The Sony currently has a Rockford Files BD loaded, but I haven't been watching that series for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks