What's new

Sony PS5 buyers and owners (3 Viewers)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I received an e-mail from BB with a link to pre-order. I passed on it, thought about it, and went back to the same link. The pre-order button was gone, and was replaced with a "coming soon" non-clickable.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I'll let you early adopters work out the bugs.
I remember the first PS4's that caught on fire, and the first PS3's that were so loud, companies tried selling "mufflers" that cooled the unit, until it was discovered they were blowing dust back into the machinery, for which Sony voided the warranty.

I'm still curious about 5's UHD drive, and I'm not falling for that cheap $100-discounted "bribe" for buying the Digital Version, but at least I don't have to worry about upgrading to 4KTV for at least another year.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I got the Best Buy e-mail, immediately tried to preorder it, got the console into my cart, and was unable to checkout. Pretty frustrating.

I wanted to avoid preordering on Amazon because my history with console preorders on Amazon is that they arrive really late in the day. I'd rather just go pick it up from Best Buy and get it right away.

This was a bit of a mess, to understate it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
LOL! Those scalpers are the real winners:laugh:. They bought em up like crazy flooded E-Bay with thousands of listings (for a pre-order no less). Problem is the market is so over saturated on that site they have to undercut each other to try and get a sale. I'm seeing most disc based systems for as low as $700 Buy it Now..with free shipping.

$200 to me isn't exactly striking it rich. Especially considering the shipping cost for that at minimum will be $25 + the time and hassle of dealing with it. Enjoy your newfound wealth scalpers!

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I pre-ordered a PS5 from an online retailer yesterday, but also received an email from Sony early this morning notifying me I was chosen for the pre-order list (I signed up a few weeks ago).

"Starting 10am PT, Friday 9/18, click below to enter the event. This URL is unique to you and not meant to be shared with anyone else. When clicked, you will be placed in a waiting room. When it's your turn, you'll get access to complete your PS5(tm) console Pre-Order Reservation. If the URL is shared with others and they attempt to use it, you may be locked out of the order system. Offer valid through 9:59am PT, Saturday, while supplies last."

This is pretty goofy. If I hadn't signed up for it, I would have guessed it was spam.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm honestly not trying to thread crap. I keep hearing how great the reveal of games was for this, and I just have to shrug my shoulders. Nothing about any of it excited me in the least. The exclusives both launch, and long term left me cold. Completely. The "Demon Souls" remaster was about the only game I would consider playing, but even that is very low on my list as I'm starting to develop an aversion to remakes.

I'm sure someday I will buy a PS5 but it will never be for their triple A exclusives. It will be like always the games no one talks about (mainly Japanese developed games) but for some reason only find their way to PC, and the Sony platform forcing XBOX owners like me to either miss out, or buy another system (either option sucks).

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm honestly not trying to thread crap. I keep hearing how great the reveal of games was for this, and I just have to shrug my shoulders. Nothing about any of it excited me in the least. The exclusives both launch, and long term left me cold.

Respect! I get this. Is it worth $500? Probably not for most people. (For me, obviously yes.) I'm more excited about playing my existing library with "possibly a few enhancements" than playing any of the launch games. If they hadn't included the ability to play (much of) my PS4 library, I wouldn't have bothered.

Platform owners sell game libraries now. The delivery system of that library (e.g. console) matters, but increasingly less so than the content. Just look at XCloud. It's not a great way to play games (yet), but all people can talk about is Game Pass and "150+ games" when they talk about it. It's an extremely forward-looking business model. And I feel Sony has lagged behind in this regard, despite having a majority market share this generation.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Bryan - I was kind of floored by the FF16 reveal. It's been an common rumor for the last 4ish months but the fact that it looks to be as mature of a project as it is with zero significant leaks and then look like it did in that trailer...I was very happy about that. I'm going to get Miles Morales at launch (if I can get a PS5; I'll hold off on the PS4 version) but, yeah, I don't care about Demon's Souls or Call of Duty or most of the other stuff they showed.

That said, compared to the big Xbox blowout at the end of July, which MS had previously described as "mic drop after mic drop," I think the FF16 reveal alone was more significant. MS' show was all games that will launch right onto GamePass, but a good chunk of the PS5 event yesterday was games that are exclusive to PS5.

The PS+ Collection idea was neat, but that seems more geared toward Xbox owners who are curious about getting on a PlayStation platform. I've already played nearly all of those games though there's a few I'm interested in.

Steve - what's interesting is that PS Now has like 800 games and functions as a streaming service OR a downloadable game service. I think GamePass gets more attention because every single MS game launches right onto it, meaning you'll get some of the highest quality Xbox games included right away, whereas PS Now is a lot of filler crap mixed in with some true classics. I think MS basically reducing all of their sub services into one $15/mo fee that includes EVERYTHING is a great idea and I wish Sony would do that with + and Now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bryan - I was kind of floored by the FF16 reveal. It's been an common rumor for the last 4ish months but the fact that it looks to be as mature of a project as it is with zero significant leaks and then look like it did in that trailer...I was very happy about that.

I wish I was still into FF, but I have been done with that IP for a long time (except for the FF7 remake which I only bought because it was one of my favorite games ever). If I was still into that series I'd be happy too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m in no hurry, but at $400, I can see buying the base PS5 eventually. And I like Sony’s approach of only having to choose between disc or not. No decision about reduced capability.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The PS+ Collection idea was neat, but that seems more geared toward Xbox owners who are curious about getting on a PlayStation platform. I've already played nearly all of those games though there's a few I'm interested in.

I think GamePass gets more attention because every single MS game launches right onto it, meaning you'll get some of the highest quality Xbox games included right away, whereas PS Now is a lot of filler crap mixed in with some true classics. I think MS basically reducing all of their sub services into one $15/mo fee that includes EVERYTHING is a great idea and I wish Sony would do that with + and Now.

This is a spot-on analysis. To me, the PS+ announcement was certainly intended to onboard people curious about this "great PlayStation library" they keep hearing about. The people who were irritated that it includes Persona 5 but not Persona 5 Royal Edition (for example) are simply not the people Sony is targeting.

PS Now, which I subscribe to for its PS3 collection, has a much more interesting variety than PS+, which for the past year has only offered games I already own. Even if they were to combine the services into an "Ultimate" model, I don't think Sony wants the Game Pass model just yet.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I wish I was still into FF, but I have been done with that IP for a long time (except for the FF7 remake which I only bought because it was one of my favorite games ever). If I was still into that series I'd be happy too.

I gave up on FF after 12, with that ridiculous "macro" system where you basically set up the game to play itself--If I don't have my turn-based hand on the genius strategy of every single attack, what's the point of playing?

Thankfully, some of the more recent seem to be going back to more player-involved real-time, like FF7's remake changing the old turn-based system for a more Kingdom Hearts-style real-time hack-slash.

I’m in no hurry, but at $400, I can see buying the base PS5 eventually. And I like Sony’s approach of only having to choose between disc or not. No decision about reduced capability.

The PS3's disk drive singlehandedly SAVED Blu-ray from itself, helping win the Format War, was one of the very first consoles to create the streaming-television industry we know today, and is considered one of the most successful game boxes ever released.

And yet you will find hardcore gamers--who believe everything in the game, console and screen industry must be created to their exacting connoisseur purposes and tastes--who still scream that the PS3 was a "disaster", because it "wasted" too much space on being a media device, when it "should" have focused more arcane detail on its image clarity, sound, and online playing features.
(Back when everyone was beating up on 3DTV, PS3's upgrade caused a spark in early 3D-screen adopters, but gamers also called that a "disaster", since "there weren't enough 3D games, all I could do on it was watch 3D movies!" Umm, yeah...)

Anyone who thinks a PS console is only "about" games DESERVES to play the disc-free digital version. And may you be happy in the life you have chosen.
Me, I'm waiting to hear whether we still get Blu3D disk support (which I assume we will, since 3D video is the essential ingredient in the VR they want to improve) along with the 4K UHD support, before plunking down the extra cash for a machine that does everything. As well it should.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Uhm...what?

I’ve gone digital only on my Switch. Got a zillion streaming boxes. Don’t need a game console to do anything but play games. If I buy a new-gen console, happy to not spend money on drive.

Other people can buy what they want.

If you’re fighting the Time Wars, and need to buy a box with a disc drive to retroactively save 1998, more power to you! :rolling-smiley:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Uhm...what?

I’ve gone digital only on my Switch. Got a zillion streaming boxes. Don’t need a game console to do anything but play games. If I buy a new-gen console, happy to not spend money on drive.

If you’re fighting the Time Wars, and need to buy a box with a disc drive to retroactively save 1998, more power to you! :rolling-smiley:

I hope that was a joke about the movie fizz-vs.-didj format wars, because if that was honestly a joke about "LOL, you still want a disk drive in your PS because you want to play GAMES on disk??", thank you for singlehandedly proving my point. The prosecution rests.

(Like I said: Scary, scary people, folks. :mellow: )

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

I honestly don't understand the logic. If you know you are going to buy one why wait for a price drop? If a year of playing games isn't worth $100 and having something when it is brand new and exciting I don't know what is. I get having to prioritize budgets but the rewards for waiting on something you clearly care about does not seem commensurate with the downsides to me.

I know you have some kind of quote about the best time to buy and I haven't agreed with it at all in all the times you have posted it, but this time it really doesn't make sense. The best time to buy a PS5 digital is day 1, there will be few moving parts or other widespread bugs to worry about that would be fixed in a mid cycle upgrade, and with the PS+ deal you can catch up on the best of the best PS4 generation games that you might have missed. Again on day one.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Me, I'm waiting to hear whether we still get Blu3D disk support (which I assume we will, since 3D video is the essential ingredient in the VR they want to improve) along with the 4K UHD support, before plunking down the extra cash for a machine that does everything. As well it should.

Lately I've definitely gotten more mileage out of my PSVR as a 3D Blu-Ray disc-delivery mechanism than as a gaming headset. I bought my 4K TV after they phased out 3D sets, so it's nice to have a way to view my imported 3D discs. I hope the PS5 lets me keep up that tradition.

I have a large disc library, so my big (i.e. non-Nintendo) consoles always double as my home theater player. Getting the disc version of the PS5 was a "no- brainer" for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I honestly don't understand the logic. If you know you are going to buy one why wait for a price drop? If a year of playing games isn't worth $100 and having something when it is brand new and exciting I don't know what is. I get having to prioritize budgets but the rewards for waiting on something you clearly care about does not seem commensurate with the downsides to me.

I know you have some kind of quote about the best time to buy and I haven't agreed with it at all in all the times you have posted it, but this time it really doesn't make sense. The best time to buy a PS5 digital is day 1, there will be few moving parts or other widespread bugs to worry about that would be fixed in a mid cycle upgrade, and with the PS+ deal you can catch up on the best of the best PS4 generation games that you might have missed. Again on day one.
I don’t mean to say I’m waiting for a $100 drop. I don’t need the $400 console to get to $300. The disc less version seems like the option I’ll get, when I get one. But while there’s new tech i *want*, I don’t *want* a new console yet.

Gaming time limited. Its hard to find gaming time on my Switch lately, and haven’t turned on the PS4 in over a year. A ps5 right now would go unused.

I’ve got a long and expensive list of tech upgrades in mind. PS5 is lower on the list.

Related: Don’t want to upgrade to a 4k console until I’ve upgraded to 4k.

Besides, it’s moot? Can’t actually buy one? They’re all sold out on preorders, etc? So, no hurry for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks