Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1591911621850.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any idea if it sits horizontal? Not fitting in a rack is actually a big deal to me. It literally has to fit into a rack.

But I’m not an early adopter so I can always wait for gen 2 than does fit in a rack. :)

Erp. Never mind. I missed some posts showing just that. :) Cool. That fits a rack.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That's the ugliest exterior to a piece of electronics that I've ever seen.

That said, if there's plenty of people that feel like Sam does, I suppose Sony did right. But as someone that started out in videogaming with the Atari 2600, it looks like some strange contraption from an alien world to me rather than a videogame console. It looks like they hired a Formula One aerodynamicist to design it.

I'm too much of a traditionalist to ever find this styling pleasing (Or Microsoft's cheap looking trash bin look), but what matters of course is what's inside these systems. And there, I'm confident both will have gotten things right. What the box looks like from the outside really holds little importance to me.

I haven't watched all the game trailers yet, but nothing too terribly exciting in the preview today for me personally. But I'm sure I'll dive into Gran Turismo 7 and Hitman 3 someday. And if by some miracle this new GTA V port has substantial additions to the single player content of the game, I surprisingly loved that enough on the PS4 where I'd buy it again and replay it.

I'd actually be tempted by just a prettier and smoother GTA V if it just would return to including a custom radio station like the early 3D GTA's did on the original Xbox. The classic country & western station (Rebel Radio) was wearing thin after 60 or 70 hours on the PS4 and none of the other radio stations held any appeal.

If I could seamlessly play my own mp3 library when behind the wheel on the PS5, that could make it fun to do all over again.

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
That's the ugliest exterior to a piece of electronics that I've ever seen.

That said, if there's plenty of people that feel like Sam does, I suppose Sony did right. But as someone that started out in videogaming with the Atari 2600, it looks like some strange contraption from an alien world to me rather than a videogame console. It looks like they hired a Formula One aerodynamicist to design it.

I'm too much of a traditionalist to ever find this styling pleasing (Or Microsoft's cheap looking trash bin look), but what matters of course is what's inside these systems. And there, I'm confident both will have gotten things right. What the box looks like from the outside really holds little importance to me.

I haven't watched all the game trailers yet, but nothing too terribly exciting in the preview today for me personally. But I'm sure I'll dive into Gran Turismo 7 and Hitman 3 someday. And if by some miracle this new GTA V port has substantial additions to the single player content of the game, I surprisingly loved that enough on the PS4 where I'd buy it again and replay it.

I'd actually be tempted by just a prettier and smoother GTA V if it just would return to including a custom radio station like the early 3D GTA's did on the original Xbox. The classic country & western station (Rebel Radio) was wearing thin after 60 or 70 hours on the PS4 and none of the other radio stations held any appeal.

If I could seamlessly play my own mp3 library when behind the wheel on the PS5, that could make it fun to do all over again.
Holding out for the all black version. I personally think the white is a little over the top

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to preorder it for a bunch of reasons, but most of the games they showed off didn't excite and I'm generally not a fan of the console design. Apparently it's also huge compared to other consoles.

Sony said they have a lot more games to show and wanted to spend the show highlighting some of the smaller, more diverse games they'll have. I think it was a good call but I honestly am a bit disappointed overall.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That size might be a practical problem. I don’t care about how it looks. My electronics are hidden away in hutches and racks. But, then, I do care than they can fit into hutches and racks. Ginormous design might not fit available space.

<shrug> We‘ll see. I’m in no hurry.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Glad the still very high $500 barrier didn't get broken. I really thought one of the two would dare to try for $600.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Glad the still very high $500 barrier didn't get broken. I really thought one of the two would dare to try for $600.
$650 for the disc one in Canada. Woof!

I'm not going to pre-order, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks