What's new

Sony Officially Announces The PS4 To Arrive Q4 2013 (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Morgan Jolley said:
That said, they announced CD/MP3/DLNA support is coming in a future firmware update.
And hopefully Blu 3D support too. Word's going around that that's one other frill left out of the rollout drive--There's a reason I've holding on to my PS3 and it ain't Killzone.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My gut tells me some of the best options are really going to be in PSN for a bit. And that's OK. Really, people snagging it on launch day are the early adopters who expect something. By Christmas, we will have some more titles, and the titles I'm really after (Watch Dogs and Infamous: Sons) will be out next year.

The most important games for me will depend on PSN. Outside of Last of Us, I didn't play a single game on the PS3 that I thought was as much fun as PixelJunk Monsters. Fl0w is another one of those wild games I just love and I'm eager to see on the PS4.

I think both consoles are going to end up with Bluray 3D (neither will support it out of the box) because that appears to be a driver tweak issue that has to come from AMD, who designed the GPU for both of them. So I figure we'll see that nearly simultaneously on both platforms.

I'm looking forward to Resogun. I have no interest in Killzone. I've pre-ordered a few titles.. but I'm expecting us to get some at least tech demos/etc. by Christmas, and if I can even get an announcement of Little Big Planet 3 or similar, I'm all over it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wait, the PS4 doesn't support bluray 3D PERIOD, or just in games? I thought the movies worked okay? Doesn't matter to me since I only got one eye, but it seems even more odd than the DLNA/CD/MP3 stuff.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If this is an AMD issue then you can't blame Sony or Microsoft, both probably relied on AMD to deliver and i can imagine some behind the scenes stuff going on to rectify all this, i would think both companies are working hard on their firmware revisions too and pressing AMD for a fix, this is just one of the reasons i never buy into hardware when it is first launched.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MS will probably not support 3D Bluray at all because I can see that becoming a huge hassle when trying to run multiple apps. Imagine the console having to run a 3D movie while splitting the screen with your fantasy football scores or Skype. I'm also not sure they technically could do that since passive 3DTVs use every other horizontal line for one eye or the other and that would be a hassle to try to work around. 3D Bluray isn't that popular, too, so I don't see them feeling like they're alienating many people.

PS4 will get 3D Bluray eventually. They said so, plus Sony actually makes 3D Bluray movies so it would be stupid to not support them.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, I'm kind of unhappy with Amazon at the moment. Despite the fact I ordered on June 10 - announce day, my PS4 apparently hasn't shipped. So, despite the fact I ordered early, I guess I'm not getting mine on 'launch day' despite it being launch edition.

Very disappointing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
Sometimes their system backlogs, don't fret until tomorrow.
Argh. Email from Amazon Customer Service. I'll get my PS4 Monday, it appears. I will not be getting the camera at all, it's been placed on back order to December 19.

Despite having ordered on June 10, announcement day. I should have just went to Gamestop.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
I saw my shipping notice on Wednesday, so i'm getting mine today! :)

Only launch title i'm picking up is AC4 - simply because I would have played it anyway.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The controller charging seems like a problem. Do they have to plug into the console?I leave controllers on the side tables. If the batteries are dead, I put in a fresh pair of rechargeable AA and keep going. But here, it seems like if the batteries are dead, I'm sunk for a few hours while I plug them into the console and wait for them to be charged. Do you just keep them always cabled to the console when not in use?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have 2 controllers (same with PS3). One is always plugged in while the other is being used. If the one I have dies, I switch it out.

If you have to, you can play while the controller is plugged in and charging. And you can charge the controllers on anything with a USB port, doesn't have to be the console. Also, the console can be set to leave the USB ports in the front alive while the console is shut off (not sure if shut off or standby mode) so that controllers can charge.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Ejanss said:
And hopefully Blu 3D support too. Word's going around that that's one other frill left out of the rollout drive--There's a reason I've holding on to my PS3 and it ain't Killzone.
Well, if you get rid of your PS3 ... how exactly are you going to play your old games?
Dave Upton said:
Excited as I am for the PS4, I think this article really makes sense. This is why i'm a PC gamer first, console second:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/14/5102892/where-next-gen-stands
Interesting. Thanks for the article.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Played with a friend's (who received his, damnit) We received an email with these, tested all.. all work. Some are very slick:
Push and hold the Share button to take a screenshot. To change the long press of the Share button to bring up the Share menu and the short press of the Share button to take a screenshot, press the Share button to bring the [Share Menu]. Then press the Options button and go to [Share Settings]. Select [Share Button Control Type] and choose [Easy Screenshots]. From the [Share Settings] described above, you can also change recording and streaming settings. A double tap of the share button will start a fresh video recording from that point, regardless of what Share button control type you have set. Push and hold the PS button down to bring a quick menu with volume and other settings (such as device management). Through this you can adjust what audio is sent to the headset jack on the controller, including all audio or just voice chat. FYI: This is probably the best part of the whole thing. Just plug in ANY headset into the PS4 controller. ANY headset works. We used a set of Apple Earbuds we had from our iPads.. worked flawlessly. The PS Home button can be double-tapped to quickly swap between the last game and app in use. Click R3 when using the onscreen keyboard for gyro control. You can either press L2 or say "PlayStation" on the dashboard to activate a voice command (using either a mic or the camera). For example: Press L2 and then say "Battlefield 4" to go to Battlefield 4 and then "Start" to start the game or say "PlayStation Battlefield 4" to go to Battlefield 4 and then "Start" to start the game. You can use the PlayStation App as an alternate keyboard as well as a secondary device to quickly navigate the PS4 dashboard and menus. For more info, check out this guide. As long as an account with PS+ has a particular system active as it's primary system, all accounts on that system (16 is the maximum per system) will be able to play online, regardless of whether the PS+ account is signed in or not. To set a PS4 system as the primary system for an account, go to [Settings] > [PSN] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4]. Note: This can also be used to deactivate the system as your primary. The DualShock 4's light pulsates when charging. It pulses slower the closer to fully charged it becomes. To view the actual amount left on a download and not just the amount remaining before you can start the application, go to [Notifications] > [Downloads] or [Settings] > [System Storage Management] > [Applications] and choose which app or game you want to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gitanistone9
Recent bookmarks