What's new

Sony PS5 buyers and owners (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was able to snag a PS 5 preorder yesterday on BB without issues. Guess I was lucky.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Lately I've definitely gotten more mileage out of my PSVR as a 3D Blu-Ray disc-delivery mechanism than as a gaming headset. I bought my 4K TV after they phased out 3D sets, so it's nice to have a way to view my imported 3D discs. I hope the PS5 lets me keep up that tradition.

I have a large disc library, so my big (i.e. non-Nintendo) consoles always double as my home theater player. Getting the disc version of the PS5 was a "no- brainer" for me.

The VR games have finally--I bold and emphasis on "finally"--started coming up to speed on a few of the big titles, after two years of rambling indies: The Iron Man VR game looks good, and I'll confess to being hooked on the two Hatsune Miku games. (The second of which is a major workout for the Move controllers.)
One of the mystifying "Why PS5??" reasons was reportedly a major streamlined upgrade on the PSVR hookup, and any lighter set or less cords will be an improvement. (And let's be honest, we know what a large number of VR adopters are really watching... ;) )

Upcoming 3D personal-cinema headsets like the Cinera Edge also look to bring VR-headset-as-Blu3D-viewer to the non-gaming public, although it's still a question of whether those people who "didn't want to wear glasses" want to wear goggles either.
I never gave up my old Panasonic 3DTV, but if those goggles catch on, I may just get interested in a 4K screen after all.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I know you have some kind of quote about the best time to buy and I haven't agreed with it at all in all the times you have posted it, but this time it really doesn't make sense. The best time to buy a PS5 digital is day 1, there will be few moving parts or other widespread bugs to worry about that would be fixed in a mid cycle upgrade, and with the PS+ deal you can catch up on the best of the best PS4 generation games that you might have missed. Again on day one.

Which PS5 games are you excited about?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
For me there is a lot to get excited about for the PS5. Games wise I'm super hyped to play:

Spider Man: Miles Morales
Astro Bot Playroom
Demon's Souls
Resident Evil: Village
Gran Turismo 7
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Horizon II: Forbidden West
God of War: Ragnarok

For PS4 games that I'll PS5 version instead:

Cyberpunk 2077
Doom Eternal
Far Cry 6
The Witcher 3
Little Nightmares 2
Last of Us 2 (Not announced but you know it's coming)
Ghost of Tsushima (Ditto)

I'm getting the physical version because I will definitely be using this as my main UHD player, if it turns out to be a great player. Hopefully this is as good a UHD player as the PS3 was a blu ray player, and not like the PS4 was a blu ray player. The availability of a first party media remote has my hopes up for that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Fuuuuuuuuck this. That’s not how preorders work.
1600455695222.png

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The current state of VR cinema is terrible so I don’t get the excitement for it. There is no worse way to watch movies right now IMO..

Hulu had a nice VR app for their movies--if...you want to watch movies on Hulu--that put the viewer in a 360 cineplex-theater room, a city penthouse, an inflatable beach screening, a snowy winter cabin, etc., while watching the 2D streaming movies or TV reruns on a big flat screen.
82bf0508e9c78ecc52640bbdae9982b3

They've since retired it, since, after all, as the industry's "decided", Nobody's Watching 3DTV VR.
And yes, a needless distraction, but one that Sony COULD have included on NA PS4 VR for disk viewing (there were reportedly a few apps on the JP version), including Blu3D, if they had put a little more interest in VR or disk viewing at the beginning.

Plus, the entire streaming-VR industry, that Hulu hoped to use the app for, was never much to write home about.
Even Sony never bothered to create a VR-friendly version of their PS Media Player, left all third-party VR-file viewing to Littlstar's service, which eventually ballooned out of control into an entire wannabe media service, and became too big and bugged to view simple Internet files off a USB Flash drive.

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The problem with using the PSVR to watch movies is just the resolution and tracking. When they first released the 3d blu-ray support in VR, I popped in Dr Strange to check it out. The 3d effect was fine, but it was like watching a DVD instead of a blu ray. And every 3 minutes I had to hold down the options button to re-center the display. I never went back.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
[
Is The Last of Us further improved for PS5?
is TLOU2 getting a PS5-specific release?
I don't know what tell you other than they are both games will play on the PS5. No specific TLOU2 release. But I can see that happening down the line.
I haven't a clue on how enhanced the PS4 games will be. Most likely better frame rates.

Lol! Radical Reggie isn't having it. So far his is the only voice on YouTube that echoes mine.

I agree with nearly everything he says in the video.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
[

I don't know what tell you other than they are both games will play on the PS5. No specific TLOU2 release. But I can see that happening down the line.
I haven't a clue on how enhanced the PS4 games will be. Most likely better frame rates.
didn’t know if TLOU was re-re-mastered for 4K. Or TLOU2 is 4K by design.

Doesn’t change my buying plan either way. I’m just ignorant on the basics of the transition from PS4 to PS4 Pro to PS5 and recent games.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I’m just ignorant on the basics of the transition from PS4 to PS4 Pro to PS5 and recent games.

When talking about PS4 games playing on PS5 we are all ignorant. Until the game is played on the new console, and it is explained about the differences between old, and new consoles we don’t know how different the game will play, look, or sound.
Chances are it will be slightly improved in one way, or another.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, currently, playing The Last of Us 1 or 2 on PS5 would just be playing a PS4 game through backwards compatibility like any other PS4 game.

They haven't announced anything regarding a specific PS5 remaster of either game, but I'd bet vital parts of my anatomy that there absolutely will be one for part 2.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I believe Sony has said that PS4-on-PS5 games will be able to take advantage of the speed of the console so things will load faster and play a little smoother but there's no talk of hardware-level DLSS type of stuff to push 1080p games up to smooth 4K. It will probably be like going from PS4 to PS4 Pro in terms of impact.

On the VR topic, I know YouTube had a bunch of VR stuff but it wasn't really 3D VR, just 360-degree-view VR, and it was mostly just neat things rather than anything I'd actually want to sit down and watch for a really long time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
MS said multi-console releases are determined on a case-by-case basis. I could see them spending the next year or two keeping to Bethesda's publicly-announced plans but anything past that might be exclusive, or they could use GamePass to be the only place you can play Bethesda's back catalog.

I mean, they just released Ori 2 on Switch last week and keep supporting Minecraft on everything. They know where money is. This was a move to get people to buy GamePass, not Xbox Series S and X.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The excitement around the Zenimax acquisition is understandable, but I think it will take a while to bear fruit. Right now, the critically acclaimed titles from these developers are already available outside of Game Pass. Until Game Pass has a stable of new, well-regarded, and exclusive titles from this acquisition, it's just a lot of fun speculation. In the meantime I'll enjoy my X1X.

I'm really looking forward to the PS5, but I am concerned that some of its "exclusives" are being developed for the PS4 as well. (Miles Morales and Horzon: Forbidden West were both announced for the PS4 this week.) I was hoping more of these games would be designed around the power of the new console.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Saved the GS link as a favorite, got on first thing this morning in a separate browser window. Was in "queue" until just before lunch, then finally got into the PS5 storefront....only to be greeted with a "sold out/not available" message. Same thing for 2 of my buddies.

Lame. Honestly, the only title I'm really pumped for at launch is Gran Turismo so it's not a huge deal for me. But, I think it may be the fact that I can't get one that is making me want one more lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks