What's new

Sony PS5 buyers and owners (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What the hell? This initial games lineup feels like it is aimed at kids with Nintendo Switches. How many kids are going to spend 500 to 700 dollars on a gaming console? And their parents are most likely going to balk at those prices too.

On another point. How is the BC of the PS5 comparing to XBOX One X? People had were majorly anticipating that the PS5 would have extensive BC to earlier generations of PS games, but it looks like the XBOX 1 X has them beat in that department.

I think there are 8 PS4 games that aren't playable on PS5 and don't have a patch in the works, and I've never heard of most of them. Some of the major devs are talking about how the system improves the performance of PS4 titles due to the SSD and processing power.

I would assume that the many digital PS4 remasters of PS1/2/3 titles should also work on PS5.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So which version are you guys leaning toward? The discless version or the standard with the 4K drive. I was leaning toward the latter when it comes available, but I'm not sure it is worth spending the extra 150 or so dollars on the drive version. I have found myself mostly doing downloads of games lately and at C$80 bucks (not including taxes) a pop I have not been purchasing a lot of games either. These new PS5 games are probably going to be C$90 bucks a pop, so the amount of games I purchase is going to go down even more. Unless it is something I really want to play badly, I've been mostly waiting for them to show up on PS+ as "freebies".

Also, I have not been purchasing too many 4K discs lately. On the other hand, I really dislike my Samsung K8500 4K player, so I guess the standard is still an open option

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Physical media version for me all the way. If the ps5 is as good of a UHD player as the ps3 was a blu ray player then it will become my main player. (Although I have my doubts about this seeing as the official sony media remote doesn't even have a stop, chapter forward, or chapter backward button on it). Next my ps4 disc based games that come out with ps5 versions with a free upgrade will work for the free upgrade only on the physical machine. Finally with the limited SSD storage, it will be nice to be able to re-install from a disc vs. having to re-download the game if I need to shuffle around what's installed on the SSD.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It looks like the PS5 only has one HDMI output. This is bad if a person has an "older" AV receiver. For example, my A3080's pass-through is 4K/60p 4:4:4. To take advantage of the 4K/120HZ HDMI 2.1 ports on LGs new OLED sets, I would have to connect the PS5 directly to the TV. There is no additional HDMI port to allow connection to the AV receiver for audio which means using e-ARC out to the AV, unless a person replaces the receiver. I'm not sure how compatible the e-ARC on this new set I bought is going to be with the e-ARC on older receivers. Constantly having to replace an AV receiver every 3 years is getting tiresome. This planned obsolescence by manufacturers is getting aggravating.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Physical media version for me all the way. If the ps5 is as good of a UHD player as the ps3 was a blu ray player then it will become my main player.

I'm convinced the only thing that RUSHED PS5 onto the conveyor belt before the PS4 was even cold was that it was considered a "mistake" to send 4 out without Sony's latest home-theater disc format in need of promotional evangelism.
PS2 singlehandedly saved DVD, PS3 singlehandedly won the Blu/HD war (even when Sony's own standalone players were losing it), PS3's free Blu3D upgrade sparked 3DTV sales out of nothing, and it may even now be too late to save 4K UHD.
(Although I have my doubts about this seeing as the official sony media remote doesn't even have a stop, chapter forward, or chapter backward button on it).
Is it asking too much for just one more Sony media-controller that works as well as the PS3's?
I've had to sit out the PS4 controllers that brick in a week, after I read the Amazon reviews and discovered I wasn't the only victim.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At what resolution and what chroma is the PS5 supposed to be able to do 120 FPS? From the PC video in Sam Posten's "Watch Dog: Legions" post, the reviewer was saying that at 4K 4:2:2 on high or better the PS5 was supposedly supposed to be able to 30FPS; however, based on some of his PC tests, the reviewer had some concerns on whether the PS5 could actually do 30 FPS.

Edit: Or am I misunderstanding something, because I have to admit the fellow was bandying a lot of numbers around, causing me to start zoning out.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Not really sure what you mean by rushed. The gap between ps4 and ps5 is 7 years, which is the same as ps3 to ps4, and even longer than ps2 to ps3, and ps1 to ps2.

The "talk" and "rumor buzz" of "are they working on one?", and "denials of rumors that they're working on one...maybe!" started almost two years after the 4 came out. I won't say immediately, since the 4 took a while to get going, but urban fan-legends turned into confirmed company rumor pretty darn quick.

At the time, I put it down to just the Angry Gamer mentality, whose persecution complex is so determined to prove to the mainstream how Bold and Jawdropping the technical look and play of new games are, they keep wanting more and better, literally without knowing how to appreciate what they have. (Just ask a core gamer why he thinks the PS3 was a "mistake" because it "wasted" all its processing on being a media player, instead of giving the Real Fans What They Wanted...)
But, again, the fact that we're getting 4K UHD disk play this time, and a disk-free version for those who don't want the game to "waste" time with anything else, pretty much speaks volumes.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Edwin - regarding your comments on the PS5 launch lineup, I think you're missing a bunch of things. Generally, launch lineups are kind of weak and offer a wide variety of games to hit each demographic. You get a kids game, an adult game, a shooter, a racing game, a sports game, a unique puzzle game, and people only buy these games because they're the only things available. I don't think the PS5 launch lineup (or the XSX) are exceptionally bad. That said, they are relying a lot on cross-gen third party games, like Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Call of Duty to fill the adult-focused game gap.

Also, Sony is offering a bunch of really great PS4 games on PS5 if you have PS+. I believe all or nearly all of those will be optimized in some way for PS5. So if you buy a PS5 (either version) and buy PS+, you instantly get like a dozen of the best games of the previous generation.

I wish the backward compatibility for PS1/2/3 on PS5 had turned out to be real and not just a rumor but I'm still holding out hope that they bring it later. That said, Sony has said before that BC on PS3 was really not used by many people (I think MS has sort of admitted the same thing in the past) so I understand why they would rather sell re-mastered or ported-up games rather than implement full BC as a "free" feature. I'm also personally part of the problem, since I've bought collections of old games or remasters (like the MegaMan collections and FF7-9 on Switch).

I'm going to buy the disc PS5 because I tend to buy most of my games when they're down to $20-30, so the extra $100USD will pay for itself after a few games. I remember when the PS3 started to have digital games and offered a digital discount, I wish they would bring that back.

Ejanss - every console maker immediately starts working on their next hardware as soon as the previous one is released. It takes years to see where technology is going to be and plan everything so they can have millions of units available to launch worldwide. There are always the rumors about companies making their next consoles within 6 months to a year after a launch. I think the rumors of Xbox One X and PS4 Pro were flying within the first few months of the PS4/Xbox One being out. Nintendo making a Switch Pro has been rumored since the end of 2017.

I think the reason Sony has a discless PS5 available is because they make more money on digital sales and know that having a lower price point will entice more people to buy into their ecosystem early.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The "talk" and "rumor buzz" of "are they working on one?", and "denials of rumors that they're working on one...maybe!" started almost two years after the 4 came out. I won't say immediately, since the 4 took a while to get going, but urban fan-legends turned into confirmed company rumor pretty darn quick.

No. Everything about this post, just no.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
On another point. How is the BC of the PS5 comparing to XBOX One X? People had were majorly anticipating that the PS5 would have extensive BC to earlier generations of PS games, but it looks like the XBOX 1 X has them beat in that department.

Microsoft is committed to its backward compatibility program, despite ubiquitous claims that no one uses it or wants it. I'm one of those crazy people who finds it a HUGE selling point. All of the games that were playable on the Xbox One are playable on the Series S/X, many with enhanced features like optional auto-HDR. While it doesn't include the entire (original) Xbox or 360 catalog, neither did the Xbox One - the amount of tweaking and testing they've done over the years is truly impressive.

Sony's approach is more confusing. Despite claiming the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5, its store is littered with legal disclaimers about the possibility that games may have problems on the PS5. Last week, Ubisoft published a blog post (later removed) that claimed some of its Assassin's Creed titles would not be playable on PS5. Two popular PSVR games would be unplayable as well. To muddy the waters further, someone else extracted data from a library domain which suggested that some games (not mentioned by Sony OR Ubisoft) would be "bootable" but not necessarily "compatible."

Although we don't really know what this means yet, it raises doubts about BC on the PS5. Am I excited about getting one? Totally. But I'll be disappointed if I can't donate my PS4 Pro because I can't play all of my library on the new console.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks