What's new

Sony PS5 buyers and owners (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I believe you can flag scalpers on ebay and other sites so they get taken down. Unfortunately, there is always going to be another site to sell on and someone will pay the money.

Sony and Best Buy both seemed to have good fixes for this. Sony's site put you in a queue until you could even access the site, then you needed to go through the buying process. Best Buy did something similar where the "add to cart" button took a minute or two to change over so you could actually buy the console. I think that's probably what we're going to need to do going forward.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, I was able to get one from Best Buy, and it actually sent me a verification code through email that I had to enter on the site to process my order. This is probably the only reason I was able to get one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is the biggest cluster fk in the history of online purchases.
Best Buy got them in this morning. I had one in my cart got to checkout same as the Walmart scenario. Disappeared. This happened twice to me this morning. I've never seen anything like it. Very frustrating.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Bryan - Walmart will have more available this afternoon (I read noon somewhere but it might be 3 PM EST/Noon western).

The PS5 I bought from Walmart last Thursday at 6 PM shipped yesterday and should arrive tomorrow. I plan on running out to Best Buy today or tomorrow to pick up an extra controller and a couple games (Miles Morales, possibly Demon's Souls...maybe Sackboy so the wife and I have something to play together?)

Anyone have any idea of why I should get the camera if I don't do streaming? I bought the PS4 camera at launch because it had neat features tying into the system (mic control, identify face/controller for log in) but I have heard nothing about the PS5 camera other than streaming.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bryan - Walmart will have more available this afternoon (I read noon somewhere but it might be 3 PM EST/Noon western).

Thanks, I appreciate it. Although bots may snap them all up, I will try one last time. After that It will be 2021 before I think about it again.
I have to say their decision to only sell them online disappoints me. It has only created a super feeding frenzy for scalpers, and eliminated a decent chance of obtaining one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The problem isn't so much the online selling. The problem is that Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc are not doing anything to prevent shitbag scalpers from using bots to buy from their sites.
There should definitely be safeguards against bots, and the tools that use them.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Enter payment method
Subtotal(1 item)$499.00
DeliveryFree

Estimated taxes and feesTaxes & fees— —
(calculated once address is confirmed)

Estimated TotalEst. total$499.00
Hide item details

PlayStation 5 Console

Qty: 1Quantity 1$499.00

Apply promo code

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
AND....
PlayStationPlayStation 5 Console

PlayStation
Walmart # 585799039
Everyone
$499.00$499.00

Out of stock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taken out of my cart in the checkout stage . AGAIN!

I'm done bitching about it, done worrying about it. Biggest internet fiasco since the beginning of the internet.

I'll try again next April.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm not happy about the situation either but in-person sales would be annoying, too, even without covid. I'm not going to sit out in front of a store for 24 hours in the cold of November just to get a gaming system.

In hindsight, I wish I had signed up for Sony's PSN preorder system.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Anyone have any idea of why I should get the camera if I don't do streaming? I bought the PS4 camera at launch because it had neat features tying into the system (mic control, identify face/controller for log in) but I have heard nothing about the PS5 camera other than streaming.

Nope, there's no reason at all currently to buy the camera if you're not going to want to film yourself while streaming.

The problem isn't so much the online selling. The problem is that Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc are not doing anything to prevent shitbag scalpers from using bots to buy from their sites.

They don't care. A sale is a sale. Doesn't matter to them if it's an actual human or a bot script buying it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Regarding scalpers, I actually think the retailers DO care about it because a person willing to shell out $1000 for a PS5 would be just as willing to give that to the retailer as they would the scalper. It is in the retailer and manufacturer's best interest to actually meet the demand with supply. The money that scalper makes is revenue being lost by the retailer.

Just got my PS5 delivered from WalMart.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Before returning to PS5 discussion, I'm not sure I follow your thinking. The retailer isn't going to be selling the PS5 at $1000 instead of MSRP, so how is a retailer losing out on revenue when a scalper that purchased a system from said retailer specifically in order to resell it, sells it? It's still just one PS5 going ultimately to one home. That it went through a middleman before finding a home seems like it would be irrelevant to the retailer to me.

The scalper didn't ever intend on keeping it and playing it, so there's not a lost opportunity there if supply was higher where the scalper ends up keeping and enjoying the PS5 that they bought from retailer X that they had wanted to scalp, while the Ebay fool instead buys their own PS5 at MSRP from retailer X. The retailer only likely was going to make one sale off these two individuals, not two.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Like I said in the cyberpunk2077 game thread, the launch of both the PS5 and XBOX Series X consoles has been such a balls up that it makes me contemplate going PC Master race for this next generation of gaming.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Leo - let's consider the case of the scalper and the buyer (I'll call them person A and person B). There's 3 scenarios:

1 - Person A buys a PS5, sells to Person B at a higher price (limited PS5 supply)
2 - Person A buys a PS5 and keeps it, Person B buys a PS5 separately (ample PS5 supply)
3 - Person A buys a PS5 at MSRP and keeps it, Person B buys a PS5 at a higher price but from retail (adequate supply)

The current situation is 1. The ideal situation for consumers is 2. The ideal situation for retailers is 3. I think 1 and 2 are obvious, but let's think about 3 a bit. You know those annoying $800 bundles that GameStop and other retailers always push? Those are aimed at Person B. If the PS5 is a huge hit and it becomes hard to get UNLESS you buy an expensive bundle from GameStop then Person B is more likely to buy that bundle from GameStop (and get some games and accessories for that extra money) than from some random Person A on eBay (and only get the console).

All of this is ignoring the position of Sony. Ideally for Sony, the PS5 would be priced just right so that every consumer is giving the most money possible to Sony for the PS5, but the realities of retail distribution and selling a mass-market device limits that.

Edwin-S

Premium
They should make an ad like this;

PS5 is super fast. No loading screens
PS5 has controllers with haptic feedback for more in game immersion.
We spent all of our money on ads, especially on Ric and Morty, telling you these things, so we didn't actually make enough of them for the market.
PS5: play has no limits unless you can't actually buy one due to our all ads no supply marketing strategy.

MS could do something similar since their launch is a screw-up too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I highly doubt that the issue with being able to find a PS5 is the amount of money they spent on marketing. There's supply chain issues and the tariffs on Chinese imports (pushing a lot of manufacturing to Vietnam) is probably not helping the issue.

Also, I remember when Nintendo completely stopped marketing the Wii because it was so popular that they didn't even need to promote it for it to completely sell out. Sony and MS could probably do the same for the next 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sur