What's new

Sony PS5 buyers and owners (3 Viewers)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Of course it supports Atmos...
Does it? It says in that official FAQ from Sony itself that it supports Dolby True HD (7.1). That's not the same thing as Atmos is it? Or is it?

Which audio output formats does PS5 support?

PS5 will support the following audio formats:

• Dolby Digital (max 5.1ch)
  • Dolby Digital Plus (max 7.1ch)
  • Dolby TrueHD (max 7.1ch)
  • DTS (max 5.1ch)
  • DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (max 7.1ch)
  • DTS-HD Master Audio (max 7.1ch)
  • AAC (max 5.1ch)
  • Linear PCM (max 7.1ch)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
You may be right. I swore they had said the stupid 3d audio was just for games and they would support Atmos for prepackaged movies but that seems to not be true at launch anyway.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ugh....
1605019861833.png

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Well hopefully it will at least just bitstream the damn atmos out so my reciever can decode it. Pretty damn pathetic as a media machine though. Just like the ps4. Man I miss the ps3 as the end all be all media player.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Man I miss the ps3 as the end all be all media player.

you and me both, brother. To go from the PS3 to the PS4 that can barely read a bluray the first time you put it in, it's no wonder I've had zero wind in my sales to upgrade to the PS5.

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Just finished setting up and playing around with the PS5 and it DOES NOT support Atmos no matter how I set the audio out options.

Streaming apps are a disappointment also. No 4K support and the HD picture on the PS5 Disney + app is nowhere near as good as the picture on the AppleTV Disney+ app, which puts out a sensational 4K signal to my system.

Thinking of putting it on eBay tomorrow - I discovered I'm not really a gamer anymore based on 2 hours of game play.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I went to the Walmart site as instructed they would have the consoles for sale at 9 PM (I noticed at 7:30).

I started paying close attention about ten minutes before nine. Got kicked off at nine refreshed immediately, got back in and noticed "add to cart". Yahoo, I clicked it, and got redirected to a waiting room because of the heavy traffic. Kept watching my cart for the next fifteen minutes, not being able to do anything else.

Then the moment of truth. Finally got into the checkout screen with one PS5 disc version still safely in my cart.

And that was the end of that. Suddenly the checkout screen refreshes, and red warning words pop up "item out of stock" and my cart refreshes with one PS5 console for $499, suddenly reverts to 0 items in cart for total of $00.00.

That my friends is class A bullshit. How in this day and age can you get to the checkout screen with an item in cart to have it suddenly snatched Up? Was someone's credit card more important than mine? I just don't get it.

Edwin-S

Premium
I went to the Walmart site as instructed they would have the consoles for sale at 9 PM (I noticed at 7:30).

I started paying close attention about ten minutes before nine. Got kicked off at nine refreshed immediately, got back in and noticed "add to cart". Yahoo, I clicked it, and got redirected to a waiting room because of the heavy traffic. Kept watching my cart for the next fifteen minutes, not being able to do anything else.

Then the moment of truth. Finally got into the checkout screen with one PS5 disc version still safely in my cart.

And that was the end of that. Suddenly the checkout screen refreshes, and red warning words pop up "item out of stock" and my cart refreshes with one PS5 console for $499, suddenly reverts to 0 items in cart for total of $00.00.

That my friends is class A bullshit. How in this day and age can you get to the checkout screen with an item in cart to have it suddenly snatched Up? Was someone's credit card more important than mine? I just don't get it.

Someone's connection was faster. I'm pretty sure these sites work on first in first served. You might have been on the cusp and someone else's credit card processed faster.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Someone's connection was faster. I'm pretty sure these sites work on first in first served. You might have been on the cusp and someone else's credit card processed faster.

I just assumed if it is your cart, and if you are in the checkout that the product was a lock. Like sort of an honor system. I did the work, I waited patiently. i got the item in my cart, and to the checkout screen.

If it wasn't available in the first place, the site never should have let me place an order...just to have it snatched out in real time (I didn't even hit refresh) right in front of my eyes.
I'm still pissed.
A grand cluster F&^$K. I have said from the start this is 2020 not 2002. This shouldn't be happening due to high traffic on any site, especially mega sites Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Amazon.
Inexcusable.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I just assumed if it is your cart, and if you are in the checkout that the product was a lock. Like sort of an honor system. I did the work, I waited patiently. i got the item in my cart, and to the checkout screen.

If it wasn't available in the first place, the site never should have let me place an order...just to have it snatched out in real time (I didn't even hit refresh) right in front of my eyes.
I'm still pissed.
A grand cluster F&^$K. I have said from the start this is 2020 not 2002. This shouldn't be happening due to high traffic on any site, especially mega sites Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Amazon.
Inexcusable.

You had no chance to begin with. Bot scripts snatch them all up the second they are released.

I was online for all 4 wal-mart releases and every single time went exactly the same. Refresh quickly at the release time, click add to cart, and then once you get in your cart, lag, crash, we're experiencing technical difficulties, "oh deer[sic], too many people online",etc. Out of stock.

This all happened within 1 minute of the go live time. Reading online comments every single one had the exact same experience. The exact same thing happened 2 days earlier with the Xbox launch. The reality is once the announcement was made that they wouldn't be sold in stores, but online only, the chances of a normal person getting one dropped to 0. Scalpers win, and probably nearly every unit sold by wal mart yesterday is now sitting on ebay for $1,000+.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
You had no chance to begin with. Bot scripts snatch them all up the second they are released.

I was online for all 4 wal-mart releases and every single time went exactly the same. Refresh quickly at the release time, click add to cart, and then once you get in your cart, lag, crash, we're experiencing technical difficulties, "oh deer[sic], too many people online",etc. Out of stock.

This all happened within 1 minute of the go live time. Reading online comments every single one had the exact same experience. The exact same thing happened 2 days earlier with the Xbox launch. The reality is once the announcement was made that they wouldn't be sold in stores, but online only, the chances of a normal person getting one dropped to 0. Scalpers win, and probably nearly every unit sold by wal mart yesterday is now sitting on ebay for $1,000+.
Thank you. I thought I was going crazy.

I went through only one round of disappointment, but you suffered through all of them. That truly sucks.

I am extremely disappointed in Sony's decision not to offer any units in walk in retail stores. I think that is pretty crummy, as it seems like you say all of them from here on will end up in the hands of scalpers who in turn will become semi-rich to the dismay of true gamers.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was able to get on from Walmart. I checked at noon to get one and was able to get it in my cart but issues during checkout doomed me. Same at 3 PM, except that time the PS5 stayed in my cart even though it was showing as out of stock. At 6 PM, I went to walmart.com/checkout and it immediately started the checkout process with the PS5 that was in my cart from 3 PM. Got a confirmation e-mail showing delivery by 11/25 though no idea if that means "delivery on 11/25" or "we're giving you a date 2 weeks from now but it will be sooner." Either way, COVID Thanksgiving plan is for just me and the wife to hang out alone at home so now I'll have more free time to putz around. I'll worry about picking up games, controllers, etc. once the thing ships.

I'm in a weird spot with my HT setup. I'm content with the 5.1 sound system I have and my TV is still working incredibly well (47" LG 3D TV from like 2012) but I really want to upgrade both (amp for 4K HDR passthrough, TV to receive it) now that I'm getting something that really would take advantage of it. I know TVs are getting real cheap and I'm not even bothering to consider anything expensive, but I'm setting my sights higher than stuff like the $150 TCL set that Walmart had on sale this week. In the mean time, I'm sure the games will still look great.

Edwin-S

Premium

I never even thought about scalpers using bots to scoop orders. Makes sense. Don't online shopping sites have ways to identify bots? If they don't then they should and if they do then it must be some pretty piss poor software.

On Amazon.ca, PS5s have gone from 1800 to 2200 dollars. Man, I would like to get one, but I'm not about to pay a 1500 dollar premium, just to be able to say the console version of the internet comment of "First!".

Edwin-S

Premium
It would stop if people just refused to buy the products and scalpers got stuck with thousands of unsellable consoles. I'd like to see all these bloody scalpers lose their shirts on these boxes. Unfortunately, there is always going to be someone willing to get fleeced in order to be First.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarrySonyMHC