What's new

Small Subs (1 Viewer)

sako

Auditioning
Trying to make a decision on a small sub for a room 13'x14', 10'ceiling. I have listened to the DefTech Supercube II and read good things about Pinnacle Baby Boomer and Sunfire Jr. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I use a Sunfire, Jr. in the bedroom system. The dimensions are pretty similar around 13x17.5 with a 9ft. ceiling has has a tray ceiling area in the middle of the room. Is the sub mainly for movies or music or both and what electronics and speakers will they be used with?

sako

Auditioning
Probably 60% music/40%movies. I have a Marantz SR7400 on order. I have not bought mains and surrounds; but am considering Paradigm, Def Tech and Mordaunt; so far.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Consider the Stryke Mini Thunder. It's only a 16" cube and comes in your choice of 14 standard veneers. It comes with 2 12" passive radiators and the 12" Stryke SAE1204 which is comparable in performance to the Adire Shiva. It will be capable of a good deal more clean output than any of the mentioned subwoofer and I believe it's less expensive than all as well. John Janowitz of Styrke is an excelletn guy to deal with, I find the best way to contact him is through phone, MSN Messenger, or AOL IM.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If the Marantz has the ability to turn the DSP off so you can go analog direct you could consider a Rel Q150 or a Strata III (ST Series) for a drop more. Rels have 2 connections, one for the low level like other subs where you do the ".1" channel. They also have a high (speaker) level connection that with a supplied cable (you can upgrade too if you desire) that goes from your amp terminals to the Rel via a Neutrik Speakon connector. There are separate volume controls for each connection and a very flexible crossover with the Rel that is there so that when turns off the DSP (and in effect defining as no sub on the receiver) it is set at a point just below where your main speakers drop off and becomes invisible in your system, unless you turn it off. Rels on a dollar for dollar basis won't have the same output as some of the other subs on the market, but based on your room size and the fact that a high portion of your listening will be music it is certainly worth the time of an auditionto see if it is right for your situation. The Q150 is just a hair bigger than the Sunfire, Jr. in size and is around the same price point. They have a model below it as well and one or two above it in the Q series (www.rel.net).

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
PS, the new Mordaunt Short $599/pr. floorstanders are an outstanding music speaker at that price point. I think they might even be a bit better than their $995 floorstanders.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
John is a great guy and the Mini Thunder really looks like a great sub. I mentioned it to another guy, though I don't know if he actually went with it. A lot of people were recommending SVS's to that guy. The Stryke also has power as well.

Stryke will be changing its name at the beginning of the year but for a year they will still be reachable at their current web site which is http://www.stryke.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks