What's new

SLP meter ? (1 Viewer)

erx_lo_es

Grip
Real Name
eric
hi guys, iv got a couple more questions for ya. what is a SLP meter and Blue Tac. thanks

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
An SPL meter is a sound pressure level meter. It is used to calibrate audio systems. There are fancy digital models, but the analog ones from Radio Shack do the job for a lot less money. Have never heard of Blue Tac. Is that supposed to have some connection to an SPL meter?

Regards,

Joe

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only blue tac I have heard of is a sticky substance you put behind pictures and under knick-knacks on shelves so that when you crank the bass, things don't move.

-Robert

erx_lo_es

Grip
Real Name
eric
ok so i have a yamaha AVR and it came with a mic. for the set up. is that the same thing as a SPL?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For what most people here use the SPL meter for, yes they are equivalent.

I went to the next level and used my SPL meter and sine wave test tones from 10hz to 100hz to plot the in-room frequency response of my sub. Turns out that I had a 15db hump at 54hz. That's why my bass was boomy and I had no low end. I added a parametric EQ and flattened the response to plus or minus 2db from 17hz to 100hz. Not ruler flat but as close as I can get.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks