What's new

Slp Meter (1 Viewer)

GaryO

Auditioning
When I use an SLP meter to set up my system can I use the built in test on my receiver for the test instead of purchasing a CD. Do I start test, then say when (L) appears turn volume up until 70 appears on meter etc. I can do this for L,R,Center, Rear but how do I do it on my subwoofer. Doesn't show on my receiver. Do I turn the frequency or volume up on receiver to get it set properly?

Sorry for being so stupid. The Meter's here are $100.00 just wondering if it is worth purchasing.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Gary,
I think you mean an "SPL" meter, or sound pressure meter. Not sure where "here" is but if you can find a Radio Shack they are about $40. RS does have a web site and can ship most places I'd imagine.
There are some useful links about the meter most folks use here: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faqs.htm#meter
On your other questions, yes you can use the test tones in your receiver but I find test disks like Video Essentials and Avia give much better results. Receiver tones are sometimes NOT very accurate. Are you saying you do not get a tone on the subwoofer? If that's the case make sure your subwoofer is selected as "ON" in your receiver, and just for now make sure too you have one or more speakers selected as "Small" in your setup.
If you can't get a subwoofer tone and the sub seems to be working otherwise then you MUST get a test disk. Adjusting the subwoofer relative to your other speakers is one of the most critical tasks to good HT setup.
An SPL meter and test disk are the best use of money in HT, hands down.
Ron

Do the test tone portions of VE and Avia treat the surrounds as separate speakers or just as one.

I setup my new Yamaha RX-V1200 with the internal test tones, and then went verify that with the THX setup stuff on the Terminator 2 DVD. However, that disk treats the surrounds as a single channel, so I was getting sound of out both speakers, and that tone was about 4db louder than a single main speaker.

Also, how much do these test DVD's cost anyway?

thanks!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
AVIA DVD generally around $35-$40. My VE laserdisc was approx. $50 but the DVD should be lower. I think Sound & Vision has a test disc around $20 but I haven't used it.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Here's a link with really quick and straight forward directions on calibration using the SPL meter. BTW, I used the internal test tones, then when I borrowed a copy of VE, I confirmed my calibration with that. My setup was fine as it was, but a copy of VE/Avia is still a good tool to have in your AV toolbox.
Link Removed
--Steve

Brian E

Screenwriter
You can get the Sound and Vision setup disc at Best Buy for $15. If someone has tried it please post a review.

John Chow

Second Unit
Scott,

Are you sure you have your receiver setup properly? I haven't used the THX test tones in a while, but I'd be very surprised if they rear channels didn't play separately, unless your receiver is decoding the signal as pro-logic instead of Dolby Digital 5.1. I'll try to remember to check my THX test tones when i go home tonight.

The Avia and Video Essentials discs definitely do have separate test tones for the rear channels, and will probably cost you in the $30 range.

I'm sure I have it set up correctly. The internal tones from the receiver all match up with individual speakers.

On the THX setup (from Optivision?) on the T2 DVD, the on screen graphics show all of the surround speakers being output during that portion of the test, so I think things are being decoded correctly.

My receiver does say that it's in Dolby Digital mode.

This could just be a case that they put a stripped down test on the T2 DVD.

John Chow

Second Unit
Scott,

I checked out my disc and let me ask you this. Are you seeing the surround right and surround left as separate? If so, then this is correct. There is also the surround back left and the surround right left, which should go on and off together. This is the matrixed 6th channel for DD-EX. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks