What's new

Denon ext in's for dvd audio/sacd (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 5803 Denon and I have done the internal test tones with a Radio Shack slp meter. I also used Avia to set my DD and DTS surround modes. Using Avia I had to raise the rears about 1db compared to the Denon internal test tones. My question is how do I set the analog external inputs speaker levels for my Panasonic rp82 dvd audio player on ext 1 and Sony SACD player on ext 2?

Would you recommend I raise the rears 1 db for these since Avia had this for DD and DTS?

How do you set your dvd audio/SACD speaker level analog input speaker levels?

Thanks

KendallT

Agent
I have the 3803 and was wondering about about the settings with Ext In too. My confusion is how do the channel settings set on the reciever interact (if at all) with the settings you can make on the DVD player itself. I have the Denon 1600 DVD player.

I'm guessing that when you select ExtIn for DVD-A, the player's settings take over and bypass the reciever's settings. When you select Auto In via the digital input, the receiver takes over.

Anyone out there care to enlighten us?

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Use avia through the analog inputs. Let the DVD player's decoder do the DD or DTS decoding. It will be different processing, but it will be as close as it gets unless you can get a DVD-A test disc. With the SA-CD player, you'll have to get another test disc to set it exact. In either case, I would hope there isn't much difference. After all, the main difference in spl would hopefully come from the distance and placement of the speakers...NOT the components. If there is only 1 db of difference in the test tones and avia, I would just start from there and adjust to your ears.

CurtisC

Second Unit
On the 3803 I think the volume and ch levels are all thats active on multi ch input(maybe lfe+main too if set).The player should do everything else unless you use digital out.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Generally speaking, you cannot do time alignment and bass management at the analog inputs, there are some exceptions. The DVD-A player or the SACD player has to perform these operations, few do. One of the exceptions is to use the Denon-Link digital connection between the 5803 and Denon 9000 DVD-A player, and then the 5803 can apply time alignment and bass management in the digital domain before it is converted to analog. If you don't have the 9000, I believe the 5803 can also apply time alignment and bass management to the analog inputs, but that means going through additional analog-digital and digital-analog conversions, which may not be a good thing. The 3803 cannot do either.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
hhmmmm, that's nice to know. I knew already the analog wouldn't be converted to digital, I don't know why I assumed you could adjust the levels on the analog inputs. It stands to reason none of those adjustments can be made. I guess that's why my DVD/DVD-A player will allow for those adjustments.

So let me change what I would do. Still use avia through the analog outputs of the DVD player, but look for a menu setting that would allow you you adjust the levels of the analog outs of the player instead of trying to adjust the settings for hte analog inputs on the receiver.

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
whew...no wonder the average Joe gets confused with these new surround formats..
Thanks for the input

CurtisC

Second Unit
I use the Denon 2900 with the 3803 and have no issues.If you have a 5803 hopefully you have a player that can do BM and time and ch levels.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I use the Denon 2900 with the 3803 and have no issues.If you have a 5803 hopefully you have a player that can do BM and time and ch levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks