What's new

New Sony ES receivers look to be disappointing (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I just looked at the bottom 3 receivers and they are competing with older Denon receivers, not newer.

They also seem overpriced for their feature set and power output next to Denon and Yamaha.

Their new $900 STR-AN1000 offers the same 120 watts, 1Khz, 6 ohm as does the Denon AVR-X1700 for $700. The Sony is really an 80 watt, 8 ohm, 20Hz - 20Khz receiver. The Sony does offer 1 more analog audio input as well as composite video inputs but for $200 more. Just disappointing and not competitive IMO.

The $1100 STR-AZ1000ES offers features and power more in line with the older Denon AVR-X2700H which is only $800. Even though Sony says it has pre-outs, it does not.

The $1700 STR-AZ3000ES doesn't come close to the features offered in the older $1200 Denon AVR-X3700H but using same ratings format, has about the same power output. Once again, Sony doesn't even have pre-amp outputs. The Sony does have 3 more 8K HDMI inputs but Denon's own 8K switch box or even a cheaper aftermarket switcher levels that playing field.

IMO, it looks like Denon and Yamaha still dominate the best bang for the buck. Marantz comes in with a much higher price with not much more to offer, but still better than these Sony receivers IMO.

I was hoping for better from Sony with more competition.

Maybe in a year or so when the previous Pandemic is more in the rear view, these company's will come to their senses and be more competitive.

YANG

Screenwriter
the key here is... out with the old, in with the new.
anything new would often starts with high price tagging, if you compare to others in their product year.

a fair game would be year to year product comparison... where the "old" will often be on the slashing board to clear off gradually such that existing stock allocation can be cleared for new in-shipment of new stocks.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s not unusual for prices to drop on older AVRs, especially when they are about to be retired. The Denon 2700 originally listed at $1100, same as the SonySTR-AZ1000. And the 3700 listed at $1600, which is close to the STR-A3000.

Still, I agree your point is valid about the comparative feature sets – and no pre-outs? Really?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

YANG

Screenwriter
...Still, I agree your point is valid about the comparative feature sets – and no pre-outs? Really?...
ever notice that Sony's pricing is about the same as YAMAHA pricing when it comes to limited features?

you're unknowingly comparing apples to apples of different species. Royal Gala vs FUJI apple... where the latter can be produced in China, not Japan.
no i'm not comparing between the country of manufacture, but rather how the brand position themselves.
PIONEER and ONKYO are from the same group, hence the same in electronics and also design, but roughly difference perhaps in features.
Denon and MARANTZ are also the same, owned by a group. but brand positioning in different levels... slightly affecting the price.
SONY and YAMAHA are totally different with no relations.

should we're just to put our view on specific models to compete with one another, lets say, for 2022 model, Denon x1800H, have no competitors to challenge on... or perhaps YAMAHA A2A? there's nothing from Sony yet...

2023 will be different though... Sony had flashed their AZ1000es, 3000es specs card. other manufacturers may have something to look on and work on what kind of "value" they can offer to beat these 2 models without pre-outs. for the moment.
AZ5000es with pre-outs will be the tough nut to crack, and it's competitive challenger will have to be tough nut in specs as well... such as perhaps x3900H(speculated model where 9 represents yr'23) or Cinema5#* or Yamaha A6#A* or TX-NR8#00*... etc...
*(speculative model for yr'23)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Even compared to the newest Denons, the Sony ES models fall far behind. I was really hoping for some real competition as there is so little now a days.

Onkyo makes all their receiver brands with slightly different features. That being Onkyo, Integra, and Pioneer Elite. While many love these, after my recent Onkyo experience, I can't put them in the same high performance categories as Denon and Yamaha. Hopefully Sony ES is still a high performer.

Denon does the same with features on their brands, Marantz and Denon.

Yamaha would then be the 3rd brand but they are offering very little product lately. They haven't offered a full RX-V line since 2020 and 2018.

Sony would had been number 4 but honestly doesn't seem competitive. I know I wouldn't consider their products unless highly discounted.

Not like back in the day when you had home theater receivers from JVC, Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sherwood, Technics, Outlaw, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, NEC, Harman Kardon, and others. Also these brands were separate and not all owned by the same holding companies.

I guess with audio going low fi and kids now accepting this as good, MP3s, soundbars, and brightly sounding earbuds are what are preferred now over Hifi and Surround Sound.

BTW, while the Sony AN1000 only rates at 6 ohms, Denon does this as well as a 'secondary rating'. The AVR-X1700 is rate at 120 watts @ 1Khz into 6 ohms just like the AN1000. However the Denon also rates at 8 ohm into 20Hz - 20Khz at 80 watts.

The AZ1000ES is really 95 watts @20Hz - 20Khz into 8 ohms. Yamaha's 100 watt (20 - 20K) RX-A2A rates at both 1K into 8 ohms and 20Hz - 20Khz into 8 ohms

The AZ3000ES is really 110 watts @ 20Hz - 20Khz into 8 ohms. Yamaha's RX-A4A 110 watt (20 -20K) rates at both 1K into 8 ohms and 20 - 20K into 8 ohms also.

Oh Yeh, another thing is that these Sony receivers aren't compatible with HDR10+. That right there puts them out of the game since I enjoy HDR10+ quite a bit.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
my HT life started with a SHERWOOD RV6030 DPL receiver, then with PHILIPS FR755 with 5.1 inputs, and ended with PHILIPS FR996 with internal digital surround processing.

yeah... back when the two WOODs were around, KENWOOD and SHERWOOD were taking beatings from other makes in the market, back then when Sony, Denon and Marantz were considerably... less popular than Technics, Yamaha and Nakamichi.

YANG

Screenwriter
...BTW, while the Sony AN1000 only rates at 6 ohms, Denon does this as well as a 'secondary rating'. The AVR-X1700 is rate at 120 watts @ 1Khz into 6 ohms just like the AN1000. However the Denon also rates at 8 ohm into 20Hz - 20Khz at 80 watts.

The AZ1000ES is really 95 watts @20Hz - 20Khz into 8 ohms. Yamaha rates at both 1K into 8 ohms and 20Hz - 20Khz into 8 ohms

The AZ3000ES is really 110 watts @ 20Hz - 20Khz into 8 ohms.
if we're to look from a distance... it seems that Sony is taking the same 2 line route as others, if STR-AN is targeted towards Denon AVR-S, Onkyo TX-NR, and YAMAHA RX-V.

so... if we're to put aside the price tag number to determine it's value, it would be a fairer comparison if we're to look at where the line/series are positioned on. hence... Denon's AVR-X should be compared to Sony's STR-AZ, rather than STR-AN.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
My opinions on Sony's new ES Receiver line-up are very favorable. All 4 new ES receivers AZ1000ES 7.2Ch $1,099, AZ3000ES 9.2Ch $1,699, AZ5000ES 11.2Ch $2,099, and the AZ7000ES, 13.2Ch. $3,299 are all priced very reasonably. The Denon you listed are on closeout.

Regarding Sony's new ES Receiver line up. First and foremost the audio fidelity with all of the attributes of audio performance considered Sony's new receivers are very excellent premium performers.

I also love the many new features that make these new receivers much easier to add to any system. Like the capability to add your choice of Sony's wireless SA-SW3 or SA-SW5 SubWoofers and their Wireless Rear/Heights speakers, SA-RS3 or SA-RS5.

This yes's new amplifiers and power supplies enable the full line of 5 receivers all drive 4Ohm speakers. Sony takes advantage of this powerful and stable capability by now offering what they call "Dual Center Channels". The receivers center channel output can drive two center channel speakers so you can position one just below and one just above the TV or projection screen to delivery and very clear and large vertical footprint of the center channel sound stage. You must audition this to really appreciate the very nicely enhanced clarity and detail of this new center channel audio experience.

For Sony 2021 or 2022 or the upcoming 2023 XR Series TV's owners you can use all of your TV actuators as your 2nd center channel speaker.

Another center channel new feature for these new ES receivers is Sony's new "Center Lift – to raise the sound coming from the venter channel speaker, which will make the sound imaging accurate when the TV is mounted higher than normal, like over a fireplace."

Love Sony's SONOS interface when you add the SONOS Port to the new ES receivers. You control all of the operation of the Sony receiver from your cell phone, power on/off, and volume, ect. If you have SONOS in your home this is a very nice Sony benefit.

The new digital Auto Calibration app works very well and tunes the system to deliver truly immersive cinema audio quality with what Sony also refers to as 360 Spatial Sound Mapping

Finally, all of the new ES receiver get Sony's full 5 year warranty.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Pre-outs are on the AZ5000ES 11.2Ch and AZ7000ES 13.2Ch.

The AZ1000ES 7.2Ch and AZ3000ES 9.2Ch do not have analog pre-out.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
@Mike Up, thanks for starting this thread and your thoughts. My opinions on Sony's new ES Receiver line-up is very favorable.

First and foremost the audio fidelity with all of the attributes of audio performance considered Sony's new receivers are very excellent premium performers.

I also love the many new features that make these new receivers much easier to add to any system. Like the capability to add your choice of Sony's wireless SA-SW3 or SA-SW5 SubWoofers and their Wireless Rear/Heights speakers, SA-RS3 or SA-RS5.

This yes's new amplifiers and power supplies enable the full line of 5 receivers all drive 4Ohm speakers. Sony takes advantage of this powerful and stable capability by now offering what they call "Dual Center Channels". The receivers center channel output can drive two center channel speakers so you can position one just below and one just above the TV or projection screen to delivery and very clear and large vertical footprint of the center channel sound stage. You must audition this to really appreciate the very nicely enhanced clarity and detail of this new center channel audio experience.

For Sony 2021 or 2022 or the upcoming 2023 XR Series TV's owners you can use all of your TV actuators as your 2nd center channel speaker.

Another center channel new feature for these new ES receivers is Sony's new "Center Lift – to raise the sound coming from the venter channel speaker, which will make the sound imaging accurate when the TV is mounted higher than normal, like over a fireplace."

Love Sony's SONOS interface when you add the SONOS Port to the new ES receivers. You control all of the operation of the Sony receiver from your cell phone, power on/off, and volume, ect. If you have SONOS in your home this is a very nice Sony benefit.

The new digital Auto Calibration app works very well and tunes the system to deliver truly immersive cinema audio quality with what Sony also refers to as 360 Spatial Sound Mapping

Finally, all of the new ES receiver get Sony's full 5 year warranty.

I appreciate your comments. I read of all these new features which will likely appeal to the younger generation. Myself, I like the higher performance of wired speakers even if more inconvenient. Most I know will not need or will be using the center channel dual speakers, TV speakers as another center speaker or even the center lift. While pretty neat, I think they'll likely only be used in special situations where this receiver line will definitely be more appealing.

It does look like they'll be higher performing receivers with a lot of proprietary circuits made by Sony. I realize that in today's market, good sound and connection features may not be enough. So Sony coming out with these very unique specialized features may make them more appealing to some.

For me, I just want good connection options, good sound quality, good output power, and compatibility with the most formats as possible. While meeting all those requirements, I want a good, not a fair, price.

To me, with the features that I prioritize, it seems they are offering what the competitors offered years ago for the same or higher price, now.

I'm sure these Sony receivers, with their unique features, will sell very good. I was just hoping for more competitiveness in the features I prioritize.

YANG

Screenwriter
a comparison of the AZ5000ES against other 2nd top of the range Japanese makes that are about the same in performance and price range.
both Marantz and Sony could be much expensive than other makes, however, u should know that these 2 marques, are back by 5yrs warranty in American market while others range between 2~3yrs.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Pre-outs are on the AZ5000ES 11.2Ch and AZ7000ES 13.2Ch.

The AZ1000ES 7.2Ch and AZ3000ES 9.2Ch do not have analog pre-out.
I also found the feature set of the Sony line intriguing, especially the Spatial Sound Mapping. Sadly, Sony has elected not to produce a true preprocessor which rules them out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks