What's new

Shrek DVD Review (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Just got finished digging through disc 2 of this wonderful DVD. Havent touched disc one yet...jumped right into the widescreen disc.
Picture quality on this is mindblowing. Absolutley perfect. Not one complaint on this bad boy. Personally, I think it looks better than Final Fantasy, but then again it is just subjctive since I didnt like that film anyways.
Only listened to the DTS track on this and it is very very good. Not agressive. Definitely not demo material. A few good scenes of aggresive surrounds, but only for a second or so. Where this soundtrack shines is in the music. The music throughout the whole movie just swallows you up. Very beautiful reproduction of the music on here. Dialog is crystal clear, never overpowered. Overall a first class presentation.
The extras on disc two are also very nice. The glitch area is funny to watch, and as an animation graduate it is nice to see I am not the only one who makes mistakes like this. The funniest I think are the "fuzzy donkey" glitches. It makes Donkey look like a porcupine.
The behind the scenes stuff is very good, but yet seems very self congratulatory to me. The dubbing reel is kinda neat, but not as neat or funny as the one on the Ultimate Toy Box. I havent looked at the abandoned concepts reel yet.
The progression galleries are very cool, showing how the characters evolved into their current forms.
Will give the commentary a listen next couple days. Even dig into disc one, very curious as to how the redubbing studio thing works.
The menus are also very nice, featuring all new animation.
And the extended ending is also wonderful. To access it just press up on the main menu to highlight the music note on the top of the screen, or when the credits are rolling on the film hit the next chapter button. Very funny stuff on the extended ending. Including:
Spoiler:it is a huge karoke session with the cast. Shrek sings "Just the Way You Are" Donkey sings "Baby Got Back", Robin Hood and his gang sing "YMCA", and Farquaad sings "Staying Alive" from within the Dragon's belly. Great Stuff.
Overall a first rate package, worth the price for disc two alone. Will write back later with a review of disc one(extras that is, wont bother watching the "full screen" version).
Another peculiar thing, the sheer number of audio tracks on this disc. On disc two alone there is a 2.0 commentary, DTS 5.1, Dolby 5.1, Dolby 2.0, Spanish 5.1, and French 5.1.
Hats off to Dreamworks...keep up the great work!!
------------------
card11.jpg

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
Wonderful news, i can believe, 5.1 Spanish and English DTS. What else you can ask for.
What i can´t dig, is the different treat other regions receive on this particular title. Dreamworks will release a cut edition to save cost (At this price, 26 US$ on the us, how much they will cost, 15US$, i doubt it). I have found this about the region 4 release, the australian version:
The features you mention do not appear on the International DVD release of SHREK, as a single disc of course limits the amount of material able to be added. The International DVD was specifically designed to be a single disc, because the price point, the nature of the film and its unique bonus material, make it a perfect title with which to expand DVD use, especially among young families. It was a definite decision by DreamWorks to go with a single disc to keep the price point down. However, our Shrek certainly contains exciting unique features, some that have never been seen before by DVD consumers (all of which is outlined in the Press Release you would have received).
You can find the whole article on :
Link Removed

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Whew. I am drooling for this disk. It will take me a week or 2 to got hrough all the extras.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is scheduled to release Nov 2 which is Friday. Can this be correct because it seems most DVD's release on tuesdays only?

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Rather clever, and a little sneaky of Dreamworks to release the title the same day as Monsters Inc hits cinemas in the US.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks