What's new

Shout Select Press Release: Abbott & Costello The Complete Universal Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I had the time tonight to continue with my last night plans and watch Who Done It? I honestly had forgotten how hilarious this movie is. I burst out laughing on several occasions, and Lou's adventures on the flagpole and wires high above the street even made me a little bit dizzy (and I really don't have a great fear of heights, but this rear projection was very well done).
That rear projection job holds up really well, even now! I wonder how well it will hold up on Blu-ray?

CHEERS! :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I really doubt you'll see individual releases. The boxed set is probably all we will see. Frankly, I'm shocked Shout is even doing this at all. I'm just hoping A-L-L the films have been cleaned up thoroughly (I'm thinking of the drastic difference between Buck Privates vs In the Navy for the DVD releases). If all the films have had the same attention paid to them that the monster releases have had, I'll be a very happy camper. Really clean films can make a big difference.

Gary "sometimes the best parts are watching the little glances and gestures from Bud and Lou" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I really doubt you'll see individual releases. The boxed set is probably all we will see. Frankly, I'm shocked Shout is even doing this at all. I'm just hoping A-L-L the films have been cleaned up thoroughly (I'm thinking of the drastic difference between Buck Privates vs In the Navy for the DVD releases). If all the films have had the same attention paid to them that the monster releases have had, I'll be a very happy camper. Really clean films can make a big difference.

Gary "sometimes the best parts are watching the little glances and gestures from Bud and Lou" O.
Agreed with 28 titles extremely doubtful of individual titles. Currently these come out to a little over $4 a title a great deal from Shout and will probably come down more by release. If they are individual titles Shouts normal price discounted is around $22 a title. So if you bought 6-7 individual titles you are paying for the box.

As far as cleanup goes. Bob Furmanek mentioned on here when Abbott and Costello meets the Mummy blu came out that Universal already has HD masters of all 28 films so that is probably why the complete 28 films were available to Shout.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Anyone up for your favorite songs (maybe Top 10, if you have that many) in Abbott & Costello films? Here’s mine, in no particular order:

You’re a Lucky Fellow, Mr. Smith - Buck Privates
Jumping on a Saturday Night - Here Come the Co-eds
Happiness Bound - Hit the Ice
The Boy with the Wistful Eyes - Keep ‘Em Flying
Big Foot Pete - Keep ‘Em Flying
Wake Up, Jacob - Ride ‘Em Cowboy
A-Tisket, A-Tasket - Ride ‘Em Cowboy
I’ll Remember April - Ride ‘Em Cowboy
Fun on the Wonderful Midway - In Hollywood
We’re Off to See the World - In the Navy

That was much harder than I thought. I could have added another 10 to the list. I’m sure I’m in the minority in liking so many of these songs.

Gary “I even like ‘I Fear Nothing’ from Jack and the Beanstalk“ O.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Anyone up for your favorite songs (maybe Top 10, if you have that many) in Abbott & Costello films? Here’s mine, in no particular order:

That was much harder than I thought. I could have added another 10 to the list. I’m sure I’m in the minority in liking so many of these songs.

I always liked Carol Bruce's rendition of "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" in Keep 'Em Flying.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Of course. Sorry. How could I forget?
Oh.. I forgot about Jane Frazee. She was another one of Universal's great gals. I pulled out one of her rarely seen films last night from my huge collection. It's called "Almost Married" from 1942. Besides Jane Frazee, it stars Robert Paige, Eugene Pallette and Elizabeth Patterson. Another nice Universal quickie running around 65 minutes. Very entertaining.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Oh.. I forgot about Jane Frazee. She was another one of Universal's great gals. I pulled out one of her rarely seen films last night from my huge collection. It's called "Almost Married" from 1942. Besides Jane Frazee, it stars Robert Paige, Eugene Pallette and Elizabeth Patterson. Another nice Universal quickie running around 65 minutes. Very entertaining.
Jane also had a featured role in "Buck Privates" with A & C in 1941.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

A great list of songs here.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I'm happy to see this type of discussion. Very often, classic comedy fans will deride the musical sequences and subplots, but I more often that not enjoy them because while I am a huge vintage comedy fan, I am also in general a classic film enthusiast. So bring on the singers like the Andrews Sisters, Ginny Simms, and Allan Jones and the many fetching ladies like Peggy Moran, Evelyn Ankers, and Anne Gwynne. I likely won't complain unless we're talking about Kenny Baker and Tony Martin in "At the Circus" and "The Big Store" respectively. :D

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I likely won't complain unless we're talking about Kenny Baker and Tony Martin in "At the Circus" and "The Big Store" respectively. :D

Does anybody remember a story about a famous comic (I can't, at this late date, think of who it was) who was supposed to have met Groucho Marx in a deli or somewhere? He said to Groucho, "Oh, it's SUCH an honor to meet you! I have to tell you that NIGHT AT THE OPERA is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time!" To which an obviously flattered Groucho answered, "Really? Well that's very nice, thank you very much." Without skipping a beat, the comic replied, "Yeah, I just CAN'T get enough of that love story between Alan Jones and Kitty Carlisle!" I wish I could remember who it was supposed to have been because I've always thought that was a very funny story.

Arthur, your post reminded me of it! Has anyone else heard it?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm happy to see this type of discussion. Very often, classic comedy fans will deride the musical sequences and subplots, but I more often that not enjoy them because while I am a huge vintage comedy fan, I am also in general a classic film enthusiast. So bring on the singers like the Andrews Sisters, Ginny Simms, and Allan Jones and the many fetching ladies like Peggy Moran, Evelyn Ankers, and Anne Gwynne. I likely won't complain unless we're talking about Kenny Baker and Tony Martin in "At the Circus" and "The Big Store" respectively. :D

I can’t imagine these types of movies without their musical sequences. I think there’s something about the heightened sense of unreality that shares a similar sensibility in musicals and with comedic routines so they just go together, for lack of a more intellectual explanation. I don’t think the funny scenes would hit as hard if you didn’t have the songs in between.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can’t imagine these types of movies without their musical sequences. I think there’s something about the heightened sense of unreality that shares a similar sensibility in musicals and with comedic routines so they just go together, for lack of a more intellectual explanation. I don’t think the funny scenes would hit as hard if you didn’t have the songs in between.
I have to be honest, I do skip some of those musical numbers when I watch such films. Not all films, but some when I find the music quite boring to me.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I have to be honest, I do skip some of those musical numbers when I watch such films. Not all films, but some when I find the music quite boring to me.

Robert, I suspect you are in the majority. Most folks I know don’t care for many of the musical numbers in the boys films. I’m clearly in the minority.

Gary “different strokes for different folks” O. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, I suspect you are in the majority. Most folks I know don’t care for many of the musical numbers in the boys films. I’m clearly in the minority.

Gary “different strokes for different folks” O. :)
If I had the choice to skip those musical numbers back in the 1960's when I first watched some of those movies, I would do the same.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks