What's new

Shout Select Press Release: Abbott & Costello The Complete Universal Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I can’t imagine these types of movies without their musical sequences. I think there’s something about the heightened sense of unreality that shares a similar sensibility in musicals and with comedic routines so they just go together, for lack of a more intellectual explanation. I don’t think the funny scenes would hit as hard if you didn’t have the songs in between.
I know exactly what you mean.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most Shout releases are also available from other retailers (both online and B&M).

Do we know if this is a Shout exclusive, or when it might be available elsewhere?
It's not an exclusive and the release date is November 19th so I expect we'll see links on Amazon and other sites rather shortly.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's exactly how I feel about the musical numbers, Randy.

Over the years (decades) I've developed an appreciation of music from older eras - especially "popular" music from the 20s-50s. I credit quite a lot of that to watching hundreds of movies from those years as a kid (and young adult) - basically those "formative years" we used to hear so much about.

Some time back I realized that in those early years of movies the only way to actually see some of your favorite performers was to go to a movie and that quite often a hit song originated in a movie, only later receiving radio play. Many of the songs in the A&C movies were hits of their day and people just weren't as mobile. Sure, an artist might appear in a nearby city but getting there could be problematic. Going to a movie? Not so much so as many smaller towns had movie theaters. It was similar to sitting down in front of the TV to watch a variety show in the 60s/70s (and just what would be the analog today? YouTube?). Many of those little "throw away" type movies, not that A&C were ever "throw away" considering the box office they did, could almost be considered event programming with comedy, songs, dance, and a few guest stars.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you buy it straight from Shout! Factory, who will most likely ship it earlier than Amazon?
I almost never buy direct from Shout as their prices even on sale are higher than most online retailers and they have high shipping rates. Which is why I am anxious for Amazon and other online retailers to post it for price comparison. Its also unusual that they have not posted it yet. It seems Shout may be going for an exclusive window with this one.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
In Chicago, WGN, Channel nine, used to air Abbott and Costello movies every Saturday, usually double billed with a Bowery Boys film, but the station would tend to cut more of A & C's scenes, than the musical, or romantic subplots, so it wasn't till many years later, when viewing these uncut, is when I really started to appreciate the musical numbers, and no longer found them intrusive.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I almost never buy direct from Shout as their prices even on sale are higher than most online retailers and they have high shipping rates. Which is why I am anxious for Amazon and other online retailers to post it for price comparison. Its also unusual that they have not posted it yet. It seems Shout may be going for an exclusive window with this one.
You'll get free shipping on that release. If they were going the exclusive window then they would say so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks