1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Shout Select Press Release: Abbott & Costello The Complete Universal Collection (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Rustifer

Rustifer Screenwriter
    Supporter

Russ J.
    Any A&C film is best observed after 2 or 3 martinis. It takes the edge off the corny stuff and amplifies what's really funny.
    If I remember correctly.

2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Like many of you guys I can watch an A&C film at the drop of a hat. I *love* The Three Stooges but they never made a feature length movie as good as the worst from A&C. When it comes right down to it, I consider The Three Stooges masters of the "short" film and rarely watch one of their feature length efforts. Laurel and Hardy managed to do both very well but their comedy is quite a bit different than that of A&C. Martin and Lewis have, IMHO, the weakest film library but I still greatly enjoy their work.

I introduced my oldest grandson to A&C about 5 years ago. We started with Buck Privates , then In the Navy, Keep 'em Flying, and Meet Frankenstein (I'd introduced him to the Universal Monsters a couple of years prior and he really enjoyed that one). He absolutely loved In the Navy, especially the sequences in the Mess with Shemp. The math routine, "13 x 7 = 28," was quite possibly his favorite gag, getting it down so he could go to school and show his math teacher (he was in the 5th grade at the time). She's my age (I met her in college when we were freshmen and she was his mom's, my daughter's, 3rd grade teacher) but, surprisingly, had never seen that bit before! He really got her with that one first showing the multiplication part and when she said "Wait a minute... what was that?" he did the double "proof" with the addition part!

I'd be hard pressed to put together a "Top 5" list as often my favorite is whichever one I'm currently watching. OK... I know that's somewhat of a cheat but it is what it is. These, like the Stooges and L&H, are "comfort food" movies for me where I can watch any of them just about any time, even the lesser ones.

3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Growing up in the NYC market I can’t tell you how much I looked forward to Sunday Mornings at 11:30 AM on WPIX.

It was magical. :)

4. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    For me it was Saturday mornings on WTOG in Tampa during the early 70’s. Great memories.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

In the 70's I too discovered Abbott and Costello on TV on Saturdays In Southern California they were on channel 9 KCAL
    It was The East Side kids from 11 am to noon and then Abbott and Costello from noon-1:30pm. I was really into Saturday morning cartoons so I am glad they were not on earlier in the morning.
    Another favorite of mine The Bowery Boys I did not discover until a little later. From 1979-1981 channel 13 KCOP used to show the Bowery Boys every weekday from 10 -11 am. I became a big fan of them watching them during summer and Christmas vacation every morning for 3 years. With the Bowery Boys being edited to fit 1 hour with commercials and Abbott and Costello edited to fit in 90 minutes with commercials one of the biggest thrills of 1st getting all these films on home video was seeing scenes in all these films I had never seen before because they were time shortened for TV.

6. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    They were on at 10 AM on Saturdays for me, but thankfully it didn't compete with any other cartoons I wanted to watch. Whew!!!

Gary "what a terrible dilemma that would have been for a kiddie" O. :3dglasses:

7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    My viewings of A&C, like those from The Bowery Boys, were totally random, usually on a Saturday afternoon after the weekly Tarzan/Shirley Temple movies had aired. There'd be another couple of hours of movies of all kinds and newsreels, Passing Parade, shorts (where I first saw Andy Clyde, Bert Wheeler, Leon Errol, and others), just about anything filmed in the early years that could be used to fill up those odd little bits of time left after/between movies. The Laurel and Hardy 2 reelers would often be in those slots. There'd also be some on Sunday afternoons and mid-mornings (of course we only saw those in the summer or when school was out for a holiday/snow). We saw The Three Stooges, The Little Rascals, and Looney Tunes (unedited, of course) every afternoon on a one hour local hosted kid's show.

I really liked local TV in the early years when they were scrambling for things to fill the airwaves and you got to see all kinds of old movies. Today's kids don't have it nearly as good - even with dozens of channels to watch. There's just not the variety of movies and theatrical short subjects on today like was on TV in those years.

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I brought out my A&C Vol 1 DVD set tonight and chose Ride 'Em Cowboy to watch. Besides lots of laughs and some good music, I was impressed by how well this DVD upconverted on my OLED. It looked wonderful, so I can imagine how sharp and impressive a Blu-ray will be. I was going to flip the disc and watch Who Done It? but a series of phone calls filled up my time until I was ready to shut down the home theater completely for the evening.

Tony Bensley and Will Krupp like this.
  9. Message #109 of 156 Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    oh, DO go back and flip it when you can, Matt!! I LOVE Who Done It? (also in my top five.) I think it was their first movie to feature no musical numbers wasn't it? Not to mention it includes the amazing 'Flying Bordellos' joke that miraculously sneaked by the censors and has a wonderfully faux NBC/Radio City feel to the whole thing. (I believe the original story had them working explicitly as Radio City soda jerks.)

Shout out for WPIX!!!!
    ("Pix! Pix! Pix!" for those from the northeast)

Happy, happy days!

10. Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K Second Unit

As an elementary school-aged kid in the first half of the 1970's, I saw the A&C movies when they ran on KTVT Channel 11 in Dallas-Fort Worth. It’s now a CBS affiliate, but back then it was an independent station that ran mainly syndicated reruns of 50’s and 60’s TV shows. It would also show usually two movies a day, drawn for the most part from a syndication package from Universal. At age 8 or 9, I became hooked on the old Universal monster movies. They usually aired at 11 pm on Friday nights, and my parents would let me stay up late to watch them.

Frankenstein and The Wolf Man, of course, led me to A&C Meet Frankenstein, which became the gateway drug to the rest of the A&C Universal series. Channel 11 would air A&C movies on Sunday, typically at 2 pm or 6 pm. Sometimes they would be followed by an old serial, like Undersea Kingdom with Ray Corrigan, to fill out the time slot.

A lot of us seem to have been A&C fans since childhood. Nostalgia certainly is a component of our affection for these movies. Are there any here who became fans as adults?

11. timk1041

timk1041 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy
    I like the scene Lou has with the transcription record where the announcer mentions about halitosis.

Tony Bensley and Will Krupp like this.
  12. timk1041

timk1041 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy
    She was in so many different types of movies at Universal. I always enjoy watching her films. Same for Martha O'Driscoll and many others: Elyse Knox, Grace McDonald, Peggy Moran, Helen Parrish, Nan Grey and of course Gloria Jean and Deanna Durbin. All talented and all very beautiful. None of them given enough credit.

13. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    For me, it was primarily ABC affiliate WXYZ Detroit's Sunday Morning Movie, where I would catch The Abbott And Costello Movie. They also sometimes went through the Martin And Lewis Film Library, as I recall.

The painful part of it for me and my older brother, was when WXYZ shortened the A&C timeslot from 90 minutes to 1 hour. There's nothing worse than KNOWING you're missing stuff! I don't really recall the types of scenes that would normally get cut in the 1 hour time slot, although I suspect they may have been largely of the extraneous, musical variety.

CHEERS! :)

Randy Korstick likes this.
  14. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    The maddening thing about the A&C films being edited into 90 minute time slots here in the NY market (and probably everywhere) was that the cut scenes were always comedy bits while the musical numbers were always inexplicably retained.

When they were eventually released on VHS it was a revelation to see these cut comedy classic bits.

Who edited these films I wonder. The studio or some local affiliate TV station technician? And under what guidelines if any??

Tony Bensley and Robert Crawford like this.
  15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Tell me about it, as the musical numbers were mostly boring to me during my childhood viewings.

BobO'Link and Tino like this.
  16. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Don't forget Evelyn Ankers! ;)

17. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    As a kid I didn’t care for many of the songs, although a few were catchy enough to keep my attention. Now, as an adult, I’ve come to enjoy pretty much all the tunes used in their 40’s films. Of their 50’s films with musical numbers, only Comin’ Round the Mountain and Jack and the Beanstalk have any songs that I can even tolerate.

Gary “I’ve transferred most of their songs into mp3 and listen to them often” O.

18. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    It's interesting because, in those early cable days when the cable channels were mostly limited to independent channels from other markets, you'd often get the chance to compare the cuts. WPIX would have a "standard edit" and I would get used to the way the movie played but, on occasion, I'd get to see the same movie from Channel 17 (or perhaps Channel 49?) out of Philadelphia and they would edit different parts of the movie while still attaining in the same 90 minute slot. TIME OF THEIR LIVES comes to mind because the scene of "ghost" Melody walking down the stairs in the strapless evening gown was always cut from Channel 11 but it was intact on the Philadelphia channel. The first time I saw the cut scene I think I whooped since I thought I knew the film so well. I think any cuts were channel specific.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I had the time tonight to continue with my last night plans and watch Who Done It? I honestly had forgotten how hilarious this movie is. I burst out laughing on several occasions, and Lou's adventures on the flagpole and wires high above the street even made me a little bit dizzy (and I really don't have a great fear of heights, but this rear projection was very well done).

20. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Any chance these will get standalone releases? I'd like to get The Time of Their Lives, but not sure about buying the entire collection.

Tony Bensley likes this.