What's new

Should I close off a room, or buy bigger sub? (1 Viewer)

Bill Leahy

Agent
Hello out there. Quick question about my home theater room. I have a room that is 18x11, with a open 4th wall that goes into an identical siz room. All my speakers and subwoofer is in the one room, and I was thinking of upgrading my sub. I use the Energy 5.2 system with their 8'sub and a 10'Kenwood sub, and was going to go with a Svs model. Perhaps the 25-31 pci. The gentlemen at SVS said that I need to take both rooms into consideration when buying the sub, and the 25-31 wasnt big enough. Which leads me to wonder about closing off the room. So, heres the qustion!! Spend the money on a bigger sub, or close the room. Any thoughts? Thanks alot!

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Close off the room.
I had two doors leading to my theater and had one closed off.
I was afraid my little cousins would run into one of the doors and knock over one of the front speakers.

Bill Leahy

Agent
I am leaning towards closing it off. My wife is concerned with making the house look " small " with it closed. If, the room would be 18x11 closed, what size sub would you guys go with?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There will be one problem worth mentioning when you close off the room. When you end up with a room that small with symmetrical parallel walls, it’s extremely difficult to achieve or equalize good sub response for anything but a single sweet spot.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Leahy

Agent
I do not quite understand what that means. But, how about leave it and get a sub ( SVS 20-39pc plus ?) that would be big enough to handle the adjoining room? Thanks!

Nick P

Second Unit
Bill,

My dedicated room is a foot larger than yours in each direction and I'm running a dual 20-39CS+ / S1000 combo.

Wayne - while your statement can certainly be true I've sat in all seven seating locations in my room and not noticed any meaningful differences. Besides, my sweetspot location is all that really matters...right? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks