What's new

Anyone upgrade from SVS subs from 20 years ago? (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
There are rumors of a G28HP coming soon. Maybe they'll have another version of the F25? I'm getting a lot of suggestions of going with dual FV18's with the paper cones. I really need to get some free time so I can go out and hear some Rythmik subs.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Unless someone here can convince me otherwise, whenever I do retire my SVS PB12 Plus/2 it will likely be replaced with another SVS offering, be that single or dual. I haven't taken a close look at the competition yet but I've been extremely impressed with the SVS customer service experience over the years and performance is probably at least on par with competing brands.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unless someone here can convince me otherwise, whenever I do retire my SVS PB12 Plus/2 it will likely be replaced with another SVS offering, be that single or dual. I haven't taken a close look at the competition yet but I've been extremely impressed with the SVS customer service experience over the years and performance is probably at least on par with competing brands.
Of course, if you want a sub designed by the guy who designed the one you have now, you have to go PSA. :P

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
They are still top notch subs, that's for sure. Personally, I'm looking for more ultra low frequencies and the competitors I've been looking at surpass SVS in this category. That's why I'm planning on switching brands, or else I'd also stick with them. You'll never catch me trying to convince someone to not do something that makes them happy. (When it comes to home theater addiction.)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm with you there. I'm not looking for bells and whistles, which is kind of SVS' trademark. I just want maximum extension, low distortion, and at least decent value.

Foxman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russ
I'm with you there. I'm not looking for bells and whistles, which is kind of SVS' trademark. I just want maximum extension, low distortion, and at least decent value.

That's interesting John, I have never considered SVS to be a "bells and whistles" sub. Although, I was disappointed, though not surprised when I learned that the original owners sold to the new guys, who definitely have capitalized on the brand (Perhaps more to your point) with speakers, isolation feed, wires and all sorts of related accessories.

Though I am perfectly happy with my SVS, I am aware they have a lot of competitors who are making some serious; quality products at or around a similar price point in some cases.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm referring to mobile apps, wireless adapters and other tech things. Just give me performance, and nice, clean bass.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You'll never catch me trying to convince someone to not do something that makes them happy. (When it comes to home theater addiction.)

Well, sometimes we just "think" we know what will make us happy until we actually pull the trigger. After we live with our choice for awhile we realize we might have achieved better results with a bit more research and humility. I've been guilty of this many times over the years and it can be an expensive lesson.

Personally, I'm looking for more ultra low frequencies and the competitors I've been looking at surpass SVS in this category.

Nowadays I welcome ALL opinions as long as they are presented in a respectful, non-confrontational manner and supported with empirical data. I would be interested in any data you have concerning SVS's competitors. While SVS has been good to me, you [along with the esteemed @JohnRice] have convinced me that I should start looking at other viable options NOW, before I actually need a new sub.

Last edited:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I can't find my port plug, so I asked SVS if I could buy one. They are sending me one for free. For a sub I bought in 2003. That customer service is such a big plus with them, I see why you wouldn't be motivated to try someone new.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Well, after a bunch of going back and forth in my head, I pulled the trigger on a new sub which will be replacing my SVS PB12+/2. I decided to go with the PSA TV36iPal. I've been running my SVS at a 16Hz tune for the past couple of weeks and while I do hear some difference in the sound, I just want more. The TV36 has a cabinet tune of 14Hz so it should go down low plenty for me, while also giving me some good mid-bass. Of course I'm basing everything off of user accounts but after reading through months of posts, it's easier to get a read on who seems to know what they're talking about and not just being a brand loyal fan. While I do understand this sub is more than my room needs, I don't plan on living here forever. When I got married, I moved into my wife's house and didn't get to choose what kind of house I was in, so when we actually go look for another house, I'll be able to set some parameters of what I want.

Another selling point for me is PSA is an hour's drive for me so I can go pick it up, or drop it off if I don't like it. And of course, Tom designed my current sub. :)

The second place sub for what I was considering was the Rythmik FV18, which I would've gone duals with. Having two subs would help with in room frequency response, but looking to the future, I can add another TV36 if I really need to and I looked at it as I want to buy the best sub I can right now, which I feel I did (for me), and add a second later. Those Rythmiks though, were very tempting with their 12Hz tune and the articulated bass everyone says they have because of the servo technology. They are working on a FV28 and if that was coming out soon, I most likely would've gone that route. But I was told it will be at least 6 months.

Honestly, I don't think I could've chosen wrong, there are so many good choices out there.

Now it's on to the waiting game, I think I got my order in just before I had to wait until the end of March, so I may see this sub in a couple of weeks. If not, I can wait.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is a very interesting thread.

I have one of those huge cylinders SVS subs from 20 years ago. In fact, mine is a prototype model.

I have never thought about replacing it. The thing is a powerhouse and I figured anything I bought would be a downgrade.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

I have one of those huge cylinders SVS subs from 20 years ago. In fact, mine is a prototype model.

I have never thought about replacing it. The thing is a powerhouse and I figured anything I bought would be a downgrade.
I'll definitely post my impressions. My first real sub was an SVS PC 20-39. I sold it when I upgraded to the 12+/2, which was a huge upgrade output-wise in my room at the time. Keep in mind, I've always had a slab for a floor so I need the extra ooomph for get some tactile bass. The 12+/2 let me retire my bass shakers I had my couch.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Trust me Ron. You can definitely improve on the sub you have now. I have the same model George is replacing, and it is such a great performer I’ve hesitated to try to improve on it. I’m getting pretty close to taking the plunge, though.

Do you know which model you have? I suspect it must be the 16Hz tuned version of the one George originally had.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Trust me Ron. You can definitely improve on the sub you have now. I have the same model George is replacing, and it is such a great performer I’ve hesitated to try to improve on it. I’m getting pretty close to taking the plunge, though.

Do you know which model you have? I suspect it must be the 16Hz tuned version of the one George originally had.

Which of their subs should I be looking at?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Do you want to stick with SVS?

No, not a requirement at all. I am sure whatever you recommend is going to spectacular

EDIT: On second thought, give me the recommendation you were going to give AND an SV Sound equivalent. Since they are one of our advertisers I might be able to work out something with them, but that is no guarantee.

And, really, with that huge 20-year-old sub I have in my Home Theater, is this expense really going to be worth it? I already get a nice boom from that sub.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No, not a requirement at all. I am sure whatever you recommend is going to spectacular

EDIT: On second thought, give me the recommendation you were going to give AND an SV Sound equivalent. Since they are one of our advertisers I might be able to work out something with them, but that is no guarantee.

And, really, with that huge 20-year-old sub I have in my Home Theater, is this expense really going to be worth it? I already get a nice boom from that sub.
Ron, I'm trying to remember if SVS had a multi-driver cylinder sub, because I'm thinking maybe they did at one point. Do you know if yours is? Otherwise, the big one I remember was something like a PC16-42. But they also had ones with external amps.

The thing is, you're happy with your sub, so just stick with it. It's the reason I'm so hesitant to replace my PB12 Plus/2. It has some limitations, but in all it's pretty great. I just think I want a big, dual, sealed model for better control during the most demanding stuff.

I take it you don't have connections with Tom V (co-founder of SVS) at PowerSound.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I decided to go with the PSA TV36iPal.
What made you decide for the TV36 instead of the V36... well, I was going to ask that, since I didn't see a reason for one over the other, but now I see it. The TV has a larger cabinet, so I guess it's tuned lower, which is backed up by the specs. If you're gonna go for something like that, might as well go for broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks