What's new

SACD chat (1 Viewer)

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto to what Bill said. SACD has put me in the poor house. At least that house has some good tunes.
Two titles I have purchased recently that I really like are new releases from DMP records. Both are pure DSD recordings with absolutely fabulous sonics.
The first one is Bob Mintzer Big Band Gently. The first two tracks are a little slow for my tastes but after that the album seems to pick up the tempo and is excellent till the end. If you like Bob Mintzer's previous work, don't hesitate to get this disc.
Last but not least is Warren Bernhardt Amelia's Song. I like this album from beginning to end. This disc is an excellent example of how good a jazz trio can sound.
I think I may prefer the multi channel mix on both these discs. They use the surrounds to add ambiance with no wiz bang gimmicks. Both these titles are mixed with a full range LFE channel that may be used for a center back channel. I was wondering if anyone has listened to a DMP recording in this manner?

Greg

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Greg, I've got several of the older DMP releases and they're all muy excellente but not pure DSD. I haven't bought any of their new ones. I'm confuse about this LFE channel thang, que? LFE is a bass channel, isn't it? I think rear centre channels are for movies.

I'll have to look close at DMP's new releases. I'm watching for them to release one of John Tropea's albums or more material by Manfredo Fest. Best wishes!:)

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael,
Here is what it says in the liner notes about the full range LFE channel:
The Multichannel program has 6 full range channels, LF, RF, C, LS, RS. The full range LFE channel can be used as a center surround for added dimensionality.
I was just reading a ICBM thread in the audio/video sources section where they are discussing some Telarc titles that are doing basically the same thing. Telarc refers to it as a height channel.
Two other pure DSD recordings from DMP that I really enjoy as well are Bob Mintzer Big Band Homage To Count Basie and Warren Bernhardt So real. Both have excellent sonics as well. They have the full range LFE channel as well.

Greg

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Greg, Telarc's "Music of Turina and Debussy" is one that has the option for the height channel. I have not played the disc yet, a friend recommended the music. It uses the "LFE" channel and recommends 2 higher (smaller) speakers in between the front and rears and as an alternative a single small speaker may be placed above the central listening position. I might one of these days try it (after I 1st listen to the disc) by reconfiguring my rear center which only gets positioned when I use it for a movie. Moving it higher and running a connection from the LFE out of the player to the rear amp should not be that difficult in my room.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
So this is ceiling surround? I thought it would hit movies first. My Smart Jr. EX processor has outputs for a "future"ceiling channel. I actually have extra side surround speaker cables in the wall, in the right place, for these height channels. Least ways, I think they would pull out far enough, the outlets are low. I'm not doing M/C in the theatre right now, so I won't be trying any of this stuff anytime soon.

This is a dubious idea. Not because it won't work but because it's nonstandard. Chesky has his own, other, ideas on 6 channel. I have quite a few Telarc discs. I'll have to check their covers for this stuff. I don't like this idea if it handicaps M/C play on a garden variety 5.1 channel set-up. Some of Chesky's M/C mixes don't do well on 5.1 movie oriented equipment. I'm gonna take a second look at the new DMP releases. When I looked at them last week, none of my hopefuls had made the list. I might just buy one of their new titles out of curiosity?

We can't have every software provider setting up their own M/C standards!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
More great news! Elusive disc latest e-mailer is offering preorders for a newly recorded Bob James album call't IN HI-FI. Lightnin' Hopkins' BROKEN HEARTED BLUES is comin' and the last one is a tribute album of Peter Green, Fleetwood Mac founder. It's lengthy title is REFLECTIONS ON MAN OF THE WORLD PETER GREEN. It's chocked full of intresting artists like: Savoy Brown, Dave "Mr. Foghat" Peverett, Harvey Mandel, Rory Gallagher, Ian Anderson, Paul Jones, ect... Nice list, eh?

All 3 of these hybrid, stereo SACD's are priced at $14.99 @ Elusive Disc. They're on my new favourite SACD label, Audio Fidelity.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Rachel, the Chesky SACD of Bucky Pizzareli"Swing" is another "ceiling" release. It's recorded in 6.0, no LFE. That channel and the center are used for height, you're supposed to place 2 speakers 30degrees of center and 55 degrees above the horizontal plane. Heard it at a show and it is awesome. It also has a 4.0 mix since the engineer is not a fan of hard center. A solid 10 in sound quality. As far as DMP goes Tom Jung is one of my favorite engineers. I still use the redbook Flim and the BB's "Tricycle" as a reference disc whenever I go for new equipment. Hard to find these days, saw them going for 25.00 on CD. Thank God I bought an extra back in '86.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Gary, I don't doubt that the purr-fect configuration for M/C music is something other than 5.1. It's just what's practical for most of us? Some of Chesky's M/C SACD's just don't playback well on 5.1 equipment. The Chuck Mangione album would be my worst offender. It sounded very echo-ey on my system. I only listen to it in stereo now. At multichannel's present state in evolution, you just can't tell folks to configur other than 5.1 for a few audio discs' sake. I think the software providers need to work within 5.1 confines for now.

I'll see what it sez on SWING's cover. I have it. I've read Chesky's theory on his website. It's been awhile though. It's not fresh on my mind. His idea seems rather like that (Sony) SDDS theatre system to me using 4 fronts. That's how it struck me or I remember it anyways... Best wishes!:)

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Rachel, how do you mean echoey? I listened to a friends copy on my system, and though I don't care for it pusically, I thought it was a real good recording. Are you playing these back in a true 5.1 mode using the analof inputs? I'm sure you must be using analog if you also listen to SACD's. I don't have a high-end system, I'd call it mid-fi. Older Sony rcvr(to be replaced soon with Outlaw or NAD), Pioneer Elite DV45-A and B&W 602's plus a sub. All the Chesky CD's sound I've played soung great. Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" is a wonderful re-mastering in true DVD-A. Loses alot in DD. Same for the Stones re-issues. "let It Bleed" is also night and day when played back in SACD. Actually, I was more than knocked over by the quality.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Gary, I haven't had my XA777 or 555 in my theatre since I moved last november. My theatre has the speakers for M/C SACD but my 9000ES in there because I like it for the video. I have side tower I can switch to, from the dipoles, for music or if I just want to. I've been doing all my SACD listening in stereo here in the new abode, for now. It's been quite some time since I listened to Chuck Mangione in anything but stereo but the left and right front channels did not sound right in M/C. It was my impression at the time and stille that the disc was really optimized for a channel configeration other than mine. It sounds great in stereo. WE've discussed Chesky M/C in threads here before including the Mangione disc. Not just lately though....

As to why the Mangione SACD sounded bad for me...? Maybe partly the disc, maybe partly bad room acoustics at my old place? I do remember experimenting with the bass management and phantom centre mode in an attempt to play the bugger to my satisfaction. I'll try it again someday when I find a universal player for my theatre. I can't bear to remove my XA777 from my stereo. I'm enjoying it more there for now. No M/C for me presently. Best wishes! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks