AKUS Live in Santa Fe - Brief Concert Review

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Two Words: GREAT SHOW

Being a complete AKUS and Bluegrass newbie (the only Blue Grass in my collection is the SACD of New Favorite), I really was not sure what to expect.

Having said that, it was a fabulous show. If you caught the AKUS performance on Soundstage, you pretty well know what you are going to see, but it was great to see the interaction of the band members, and the between song chit-chat was a hoot. AK herself is a bit of a comedienne.

As for the venue, the Santa Fe Opera house is one of the worlds great performance spaces. It is open air, but the stage and seating are covered. Out one side is a breathtaking view of the northern New Mexico mountains, which also hosted a late summer t-storm that had some of the band's lighting techs running for cover after a virtual direct hit on the roof of the building!

Back to the show: The highlight for me was Jerry Douglas's dobro solo. I have always loved all forms of slide guitar, and while this will be old news to Bluegrass afficianados, the man is a genius.

He played two solo pieces, which led into the intro to The Boy that Wouldn't Hoe Corn. Fabulous!

The sound was also very good. While obviously amplified, the acoustics of the space, and the quality of the sound system allowed you to hear every note and nuance.

I suspect that New favorite will not be my last Bluegrass title. Well worth a ticket if they happen to come through your town.

BGL

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I am so jealuous Brian. I have really enjoyed the AKUS Live SACD and now I want to see them in concert as well. Pick up the disc, maybe its a similar show. I can also recommend the Collection album as well.

I never thought I would enjoy bluegrass this much, but these are terrific musicians playing great songs.

Thanks again for the review, you lucky dog. [​IMG]

3. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I was suprised at how much banter they left in the AKUS Live video. It's a great show, but I would still like to have the SACD.

I had the chance to see them in Tulsa a few months ago, but they came on a Tuesday night, and the 3.5 hour drive each way would have been rough on a work night. I will see them though, mark my words. [​IMG] Lee's right, you are a lucky dog Brian.

Lee, my favorite AKUS album is "So Long, So Wrong". Have you heard if it will be coming out on SACD?

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Chat C

Chat C Agent

I saw AKUS last week in a newly renovated 2500 seat theater in Newark, OH. Simply an incredible show. While very similar to the DVD, nothing can beat the actual live performance up close and personal. I'm already looking forward to their next CD...