Any Philips DVD Player Experts Here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradP, May 23, 2002.

1. BradP

BradP Guest

It's new DVD player time for me, and I've got a strict list of requirements: Progressive Scan capability, silver in color, and the ability to play VCD and SVCD on CDR and CDRW discs. I've been using the VCDQuality.com website to cross-reference the features I want, however I've still yet to find that magical player within a reasonable price range, around $400 or so.

The Philips DVDQ50 seems to be a good solution for me, and since I've got the ability to upgrade the firmware if it needs it, it's not bad. However, the lack of a good display on the player and the cheap feel of it bugs me a bit, so I've been doing some more research.

I've seen folks here chatting about the upcoming Philips DVD962SA which does all the Q50 does, with a better display and SACD support. However, this player still doesn't seem available online anywhere.

NOW, I've JUST heard from a dealer that the 962SA has been discontinued, and the replacement is the 963SA. Anyone heard of this, is this true? The 963SA looks to be basically the same player as the 962SA feature-wise, but I'm curious as to how the player looks, if it still plays pretty much any kind of media/format you feed it (like the Q50 does) and most important, WHEN and where can I get one?

This may be the ultimate DVD player...Anyone who knows more about the upcoming and current Philips line, please respond!

Thanks,

Brad

2. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

The 962 has not been discontinued, in fact it has not even been released yet. The 962 should come out next month. It has 12 bit DACs, SACD supposedly on par with the SACD1000, and should street at about $400-500. The 963 is the successor to the 962 and will also have CD upsampling. Judging by the progressive picture quality of the DVDR985, which has a similar video section to the 962 but with 10 bit DACs, the 962 should be a very good player.

3. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone confirm the CD upsampling for 963? I could have sworn that the 963 was similar to 962 w/o DCDi (Faroudja) progressive scan chip set... it would explain why it's selling for a lower price than the 962 (no longer available on line) on yahoo shopping (PAC-2000).

Brad,
    Which dealer did you talk to?... I couldn't even get an answer from Philips customer service as to who was selling it. A service manager from goodguys.com said it would hopefully be available in June.

4. stephen_z

Manoj,
    My apologies (jumped the gun on my response)... I was thinking of a model 900 (posted on SMR site) for $299 w/o DCDi. Just found the 963 on the Philips site (funny, wasn't there last week).

5. stephen_z

I remember seeing the following posting in Audio Asylum:
    http://mail.music.vt.edu/pipermail/s...ch/011620.html
    963 is due out in Sept...only difference in description is 13bit/108MHz video DAC (vs 12bit/54MHz); super(?) bass management. No mention of CD upsampling, but that would be great!! and it's even less expensive than the 962 $499 vs $599...but will it be available in Sept?

6. BradP

BradP Guest

Hey all,

Well, I talked to PAC-2000 for a while as they DID list the 962 and the 963 both as being for sale on their site. This turned out to be very misleading, as they then confessed that NEITHER are available there currently.

They CLAIM that the 962 was once available but is no longer, and that it will be replaced by the 963. Can anyone out there CONFIRM that the 962 is even coming out in June anymore? I can't seem to get anyone to tell me that. PAC 2000 also said the 963 will be coming out soon, though didn't give me a month.

I would be happy with either the 962 OR the 963, I'll probably just buy whichever comes out first.

If anyone hears anything else, about EITHER unit, let me know!

Brad

7. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Brad, I was on the phone with the Product Manager for the 962 for Philips USA just last week. The 962 has not even been released, the first review units are going to become available in about 1-2 weeks. I am supposed to receive one for review for DVD Etc. magazine. The 963 will have the 108 mHz DACs and CD upsampling, and come out in the fall. If you want one, and I personally suspect that it will be a good choice, just wait another couple of weeks and you will start seeing them become available.

8. BradP

BradP Guest

Thanks!

Hey, if you could do me a favor, if you hear they're starting to be made available to the public, and could drop me an email or a reply to this thread, I'd really appreciate that! I'll keep my eyes open as well but I imagine it'll be hard to find at first.

Brad

9. stephen_z

ManojM,
    Thanks for the posting on the 963...wow,cheaper, better video DAC and bass management...and upsampling! How do they do it for $499? September seems far,far away...

10. michael_tran

michael_tran Agent

Hey guys,
    dont know if this is what are you looking for but I found this: http://www.shoppersadvantage.com, philips DVD963SA for $429.99, also at ps-2000.com listed for $413.

11. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

onecall.com also has the 962.

12. BradP

BradP Guest

Thanks all!

I read all you had to say and I think I'm holding out for the 963SA! Please post here if anyone sees it available! I don't believe one even exists yet (except maybe demo units).

Brad

13. michael_tran

michael_tran Agent

Brad,
    I called Shoppers Advantage and they said IT IS AVAILABLE now and ready to ship, you may want to talk to them if really want one....

14. BradP

BradP Guest

Just wanted to update everyone on this.

I did join Shoppers Advantage to place this order after they told me they indeed had the 963SA. After about 2 weeks, they finally admitted to me that they don't have it, and had the audacity to offer to sell me the 962SA for $100 MORE! I flat out turned them down, perhaps at the same price the 962SA would have been a consideration, but as far as I can see, the 963 is still a better unit (once it's out anyway!). So, I warn you folks, don't bother ordering the player from Shoppers Advantage!

So, the search continues for the elusive Philips DVD963SA. If anyone spots one online anywhere, let me know! Anyone around here a dealer that's heard something or have a line into Philips?

I guess Philips will try and have this out in the Fall as was earlier stated, but I guess that can change too. I really want this player, I hope to hear more about it soon.

Please post here if you find out anything! I will do the same.

Thanks all,

Brad

15. stephen_z

Brad,
    If you're waiting for the 963SA to come out, you may have a long wait... doesn't make economic sense for Philips to have it out that quickly after the 962SA. Last word was that the 963SA wasn't due out until September 2002. Considering how long it's taking the 962SA to get to dealers (besides Shoppers Advantage...there's also United Audio Products in Washington state), I wouldn't expect it until early next year.