What's new

SACD chat (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Elusive Disc is shipping The Police. I ordered 3 titles last night. They have all the Audioquest titles back in stock with a new, lower price, $19.99. They had been $24.99. Audioquest has some terrific artists. They have, first and foremost, bluesman Terry Evans. They also have albums by Mighty Sam McClain and Doug MacLeod. Their BluesQuest sampler is quite nice. All the AudioQuest titles are hybrid, stereo discs.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
SACD chat. Hmmmmmmmmmm.........

Well Miss Rachel - upon your recommendation I picked up Jorma Kaukonen's "Blue Country Heart".

AND

after several listenings I find this disc to be utterly wonderful. :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip! :D

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I just ordered the Greatist Hits as a starter, which I already have on regular CD. I got an E-Mail it shipped from Circuit City. With free shipping the Greatest Hits was $13.99 and all the single layer ones were $12.99.

Bill Prince

Agent
I picked up Blue Country as well and really enjoy it. I also recently purchased Mark O'Connor's Hot Swing Trio and would recommend it as well. Most of the stuff I have picked up involving Miles Davis is great to.

One of the unintended advantages I have found with SACD is that the combination of a relatively small number of releases (to this point anyway) coupled with my new addiction to this format has led me to listen to and purchase discs I ordinarily would not have given the time of day to.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Dead on with that statement.

Case in point:

"Time*Sex*Love" by Mary Chapin Carpenter.

This disc is a real surprise and I never would have bought this title if I wasn't looking for something, anything, to play on my new player.

Bill Prince

Agent
You know, I picked that one up as well and play it about every other day. It was as blind a purchase as a blind purchase can be and it is a real gem. I hope some of her other stuff gets the SACD treatment as well.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
My name is Dan and I am a SACD-AHOLIC. I also cannot take Ryan Adams Gold out of my changer!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Good show Al! Not only is it a real quality but the recording is drop-dead gorgeous DSD. To me, this album is one of the ones that demonstrates the format's potential. Slap me if I start sounding like lee, get back!;) I've liked Jorma for so long too, ever since the Jefferson flyingOBJECT dayz. I wish Papa John was stille alive to fiddle 'fer him. Those were great albums (Hot Tuna). I'm glad you and Bill are digging Jorma! :)

Dan, you're gonna have to get up pretty durn early in the morning and start orderin' and buying SACD's to be worse than me...or maybe Lee Scoggins...? Eh!:D Besides, I've been at it for close to 3 years now. I know what you mean about the Ryan Adams album. I've had it a couple of months, about, and I'm stille not tired of it. He has another album, the title of which is escaping me at the moment, which I picked up on vinyl at the used record store. I like it maybe even more? I'd buy it on SACD if it appeared. Best wishes!:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My name is Keith, and I too am an SACD-aholic. :crazy: I will be heading to Best Buy looking for a couple Police SACDs on Tuesday. The word is that they are available in some places already, but I'll try to get them Tuesday. Should be fun! :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith, you'll proably have some fuzz music before me. Then I'll be jealous!;) My discs will proably trickle in about wednesday. I could proably find some of them at Busted Buy on tuesday. They've been good about getting Universal stuff. I think I'm not getting any DVD's this tuesday so BB proably won't see me this week. I'm getting another Terry Evans album too. So, this is gonna be a good week.

My name is Rachael and I am an SACD junkie...:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, if I am successful in picking up Synchronicity and Ghost in the Machine on Tuesday, I'll post my thoughts. I may pick up the remastered CDs too. :)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Well I broke down and bought another one today:D

Every breath you take, the classics by the Police. This hybrid was not out on the racks so I inquired with in the music men at best buy. They said they had 12 on hand but not in either the sacd or cd bins. So he went back and brought out the only one he could find. Beggars can't be choosers. He said he could sell it to me because the release date was last week:b Well, I listened to it once and so far so good except for the last two songs which sound harshly digital. Some songs have strong surround interaction and some are just ambiance. Sorry I couldn't list more particulars but I just listened to it once about 4 hours ago. Now back to SACD chat:D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dan, I'm getting EBTYT, ZENYATTA MONDATTA, and SYNCHRONITY. I'll just be doing the stereo myself. I'm not doing M/C again until I find a universal player that suits me. I got a shipping notice 2-day. Mine will tip-toe in one day soon, proably thursday at worst?

Anybody know any facts or rumours about the King Crimson, IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING SACD? Virgin title...It's pictured in the latest Sony SACD booklet. When? Why is one of fav's languishing?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,

Fripp owns full copyright on the entire Crimson back catalog (after years of legal battles with EG) and won't sign any restrictive contracts, Virgin is just a licensee. Boppin' Bobby has been known to take his good old time on many matters, and I don't think Virgin would have anything to say in the matter. The last unofficial buzz I heard it was no longer even certain which format(s) would be used for high-res Crimson. But Fripp has made it clear that high-res is on the way, with surround on some titles (I'm fairly certain that multitracks no longer remain for some/many of the oldest titles). With ITCotKC, they didn't even find the original two-track master for the B-side until after the most recent 24-bit remastering (downsampled to HDCD Redbook for the latest reissues).

Stereo would be fine with me though.

My favorite Crimson is the stuff from 72-74, but I like them all! I'll buy any high-res Crimson whether SACD or DVD-A.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Thank you Michael!:) I don't care wheather COURT OF is M/C or not either. I hope it makes SACD simply because I presently have better players for SACD as opposed to DVD-A. I like the later KC albums alot too but the first two with Greg Lake are rather special. I'll cross my fingers and make a wish.

Speaking of the new Police SACD-The Classics, it's incredible! I am also in agreement on the Ryan Adams disc, it hasn't left my player either, nor has Beck's "Sea Change." Diana Krall's 2 discs are great too. Rachel, I think the other Ryan Adams disc (vinyl) you're talking about is "Heartbreaker." I hope it comes to SACD too.

Back to "The Classics", I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the difference between (at least 2 of) the tracks when comparing Stereo to MCH. On "Every Breath You Take", towards the end where Sting repeatedly sings "I'll be watching you" and is answered in backup vocals until the song is over---these backup vocals are not there on the stereo mix--it's just Sting. They ARE present on the MCH mix. Also, a similar difference between stereo & MCH tracks occurs at the beginning of "Wrapped Around Your Finger." The segment of the song between 0:15 and 0:30 contains a keyboard strain--but it's not present on the stereo mix.

Anyone know why? Planned, or just a gaffe?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I posted my thoughts on The Police Every Breath You Take -- The Classics hybrid SACD in another thread. In short, the stereo SACD track is wonderful! Just wonderful! :D

The Ryan Adams SACD is very good too. :)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I posted my thoughts about "The Classics" disc too (but I keep calling it "The Singles" for some reason). I'm not as impressed as most of you.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Michael, I checked the record and it is indeed HEATBREAKER with him layin' there with a cigarette in his mouth. I listened to it yet again and I like it even more than GOLD. It's on a small label, maybe it will get sold up to one that does SACD? Oh, I just looked, it's an English import. Who know who owns this label or what the U.S. rights are? BTW, it's on Bloodshot distributed by Cooking Vinyl. I got it cheap and it's got a few pops but I like's it.

My Police SACD's came today guyz. I might be off to that thread soon....:)

Bill Prince

Agent
My twelve step program is not working. Purchased The Who, James Taylor (October Road), Sychronicity, Regatta D'Blanc and Time Out. I also slipped in a Faith Hill DVD-Audio. Internet shopping is very convenient and very deadly to one's wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks