What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Roman Waxy Holiday, in HD (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sorry Oliver I disagree as I think Amazon has the worst quality while iTunes has the best.

On my LG 65” OLED my iTunes film look and sound great in 4K Dolby Vision as do my Vudu films in UHD.

Race please check in after you watch Roman Holiday and let us know what you think.
I had Amazon for a short period and thought they looked better than Netflix which I find to be very good, it’s weird that we are all finding this different, perhaps these providers take into account our internet connection at the times we view so at peak times maybe we see a worse image and at off peak a better one, that’s just a guess.

Certainly that site seems knowledgable to me and the caps back him up but also remember the DVD is likely sharpened a little.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
They have made exceptions for Criterion. Election was just released by Criterion and that was previously released by Paramount.
That's encouraging. Hopefully, Paramount will eventually make another exception with ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953), as it sure could use the Criterion treatment!

CHEERS! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's encouraging. Hopefully, Paramount will eventually make another exception with ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953), as it sure could use the Criterion treatment!

I'm of the mind set that Paramount will allow Criterion to release Roman Holiday. Hopefully, 2018 will the year for its 65th anniversary.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I had Amazon for a short period and thought they looked better than Netflix which I find to be very good, it’s weird that we are all finding this different, perhaps these providers take into account our internet connection at the times we view so at peak times maybe we see a worse image and at off peak a better one, that’s just a guess.

Certainly that site seems knowledgable to me and the caps back him up but also remember the DVD is likely sharpened a little.

Well the caps are certainly not indicative of what I’m seeing so In my opinion that site is not knowledgeable.

And how can the caps back him up if we don’t know how those caps were captured? And under what conditions. Lots of room for error.

I know you’re a fan of caps Malcolm. And that’s cool.

But To me they are mostly useless. I rarely agree with them. I make up my own mind after seeing a film in motion.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well the caps are not indicative of what I’m seeing so In my opinion that site is not knowledgeable.

To be fair that was an itunes download from 2013 or 2014 - a lot has happened since then and itunes downloads from today might look a lot better both due to the latest algorithms and a new master for Roman Holiday. Or it might be as it is with vudu where downloads of most movies look pretty bad as they are bitrate starved compared to the streaming version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To be fair that was an itunes download from 2013 or 2014 - a lot has happened since then and itunes downloads from today might look a lot better both due to the latest algorithms and a new master for Roman Holiday. Or it might be as it is with vudu where downloads of most movies look pretty bad as they are bitrate starved compared to the streaming version.
I don't agree with you there that most Vudu titles look pretty bad!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't agree with you there that most Vudu titles look pretty bad!

Only the downloads, streamed they mostly look really good. The last movie I watched was story of Ruth and i was very happy that it looked so good, Fox could easily release it on Blu-ray from that master. The downloaded versions of it has a substantially reduced bitrate as they use a three tier system of bitrates that leads to grain reduction and loss of detail, much better to just stream everything.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Probably because most older titles on Vudu downloads are SD

The HDX streams and downloads look great.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I can't speak for the general visual quality of vudu downloads, but older streams have been known to be sometimes replaced unannounced. Therefore, that review of the iTunes ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) may have been accurate for what presented to the reviewer on his particular viewing? On that note, I believe that Tino hit the nail on the head, when he stated to the effect that the variables associated with streaming can make it very difficult to make an accurate assessment, especially regarding the visuals. I'll add that a good, non-throttled internet connection is probably an important key, and not something that everyone gets to enjoy, unfortunately.

Alberto_D

BANNED
Ok, I respect the opinions of everyone.
I'm really sorry about the "doctor metaphor".

Maybe I trusted too much in the site's review.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can't speak for the general visual quality of vudu downloads, but older streams have been known to be sometimes replaced unannounced. Therefore, that review of the iTunes ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953) may have been accurate for what presented to the reviewer on his particular viewing? On that note, I believe that Tino hit the nail on the head, when he stated to the effect that the variables associated with streaming can make it very difficult to make an accurate assessment, especially regarding the visuals. I'll add that a good, non-throttled internet connection is probably an important key, and not something that everyone gets to enjoy, unfortunately.

Sorry, but we disagree absolutely.

Reviewing streaming is not at all difficult.

It is cosmically impossible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh for crying out loud, I just realized that the link the OP provided was an article published in May of 2013!!! The current digital copy was recently remastered and in no way reflects what was on iTunes 4 years ago.
Out of curiosity, how do you know that?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Out of curiosity, how do you know that?
TCM had a Film Festival touting the restoration back in 2015. Here's the only documentation I could still find on that:
http://2015.filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/roman-holiday/
In December of 2015 iTunes rebranded the version that they sell with new iTunes extras and new artwork. I'll admit I can't find any documentation to prove that the actual movie file was replaced with the restored version, but I always assumed that it was.

Edit: Actually there was a discussion about the Restoration in this very forum. Here is a post saying that a Fathom event advertised that the iTunes file was being upgraded:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/roman-holiday-restoration.342097/#post-4322158

Last edited:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm of the mind set that Paramount will allow Criterion to release Roman Holiday. Hopefully, 2018 will the year for its 65th anniversary.

I really wish Paramount had a relationship with Twilight Time. I mean, the list of titles I'd be interested in if TT did them would be as long as my arm.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
TCM had a Film Festival touting the restoration back in 2015. Here's the only documentation I could still find on that:
http://2015.filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/roman-holiday/
In December of 2015 iTunes rebranded the version that they sell with new iTunes extras and new artwork. I'll admit I can't find any documentation to prove that the actual movie file was replaced with the restored version, but I always assumed that it was.

Edit: Actually there was a discussion about the Restoration in this very forum. Here is a post saying that a Fathom event advertised that the iTunes file was being upgraded:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/roman-holiday-restoration.342097/#post-4322158

Thanks for confirming that, as I mentioned twice above this is a very old review. I will write to the guy who has that website and point out to him that there most probably is a new version available, maybe he updates his review.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks