Roman Waxy Holiday, in HD

bigshot

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Stephen
I disagree Sean, screencaps can tell you if a title has edge enhancement sharpening or DNR
It will tell you about one frame of the film, but nothing more. Digital restoration isn't always applied equally across the entire feature. They may have scenes or reels that are problematic and they apply noise reduction to try to get them to match, but that doesn't mean that they've applied the same level of noise reduction across the board.

I've also seen screen caps where someone deliberately chose frames that weren't representative, or shifted colors or applied sharpening in photoshop to prove a false point. I'll always trust someone who has seen the transfer themselves over a screen cap.

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronyee.com
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Haha. Yes, I'm kind of a newbie to streaming video on my desktop computer, which has a calibrated monitor for photo editing. Most of my streaming has taken place on a Fire TV in the living room for kid shows, so it's pretty much an "is there a picture?" level of standards for most of my streaming up until now. :D

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
I have "download full-size HD videos" checked.
Well then I don't know what to tell you, Cameron. All I can say is that my iTunes version of Roman Holiday is highly resolved, has a velvety grain structure and is pretty darn close to Blu-ray quality. I'm very happy with it.

Reactions: Ken Koc

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronyee.com
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I basically said it looked fine once I gave it a chance for the streaming to stabilize. The download looks about the same from what I can tell and it's certainly better than the DVD. Maybe that message got muddled in my multiple posts.

Reactions: Mark-P

bigshot

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Stephen
The problems related to film elements dwarf the problems related to image processing and compression. A lot of times problems with processing and compression are the result of problems with the film elements. The condition of the elements is what it is. You can't assume that processing is necessarily bad. Sometimes to avoid jarring changes in image quality at reel changes, they apply a lot of processing. That is an improvement over the rough reel changes that were common on TV in the 1970s.

Streaming is perfectly capable of looking as good as a blu-ray. Sometimes you get a little banding in slow fades, but that isn't serious. If you compare the presentation of modern blu-ray and streaming to the way films looked theatrically back before the era of digital projection, there is no question that well projected home video looks better than most theaters back then.

Reactions: Worth

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronyee.com
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This may have opened the floodgates of "boy, that Blu-ray is non-existent or expensive, but here it is on iTunes and it looks pretty good." Movies on my list like this are:

- The Reflecting Skin
- Bugsy Malone

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

OliverK

Producer
Reaction score
Haha. Yes, I'm kind of a newbie to streaming video on my desktop computer, which has a calibrated monitor for photo editing. Most of my streaming has taken place on a Fire TV in the living room for kid shows, so it's pretty much an "is there a picture?" level of standards for most of my streaming up until now. :D
I know you will do better going forward - with a calibrated monitor you'll know what to look for :)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2