What's new

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
These wonderful rumors run rampant among the collector community.

An original print of London after Midnight;

Multiple prints of the uncut Star is Born;

The Ambersons print sequestered in Brazil;

A stereo print of Kwai;

An uncut 35mm print of Aurens;

et al…
Like the rumors of The Rogue Song playing on Russian TV in the 1960's or a print of Convention City in England --- RAH have you heard TCM is funding the search for the complete print of The Magnificent Ambersons that might exist south of the border?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Like the rumors of The Rogue Song playing on Russian TV in the 1960's or a print of Convention City in England --- RAH have you heard TCM is funding the search for the complete print of The Magnificent Ambersons that might exist south of the border?
Even if he heard something, do you really expect RAH to answer that question openly on the forum?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You really expect RAH to answer that question openly on the forum?
Worth a shot!

This was postponed due to Covid

TCM funding September hunt for lost ‘Ambersons’ in Brazil
April 13, 2021

By RAY KELLY​

With the financial backing of a classic movies channel secured and a COVID-19 vaccine available, documentarian Josh Grossberg will travel to Brazil in September in search of Orson Welles’ lost, longer version of The Magnificent Ambersons.
TCM announced today it will distribute the documentary Grossberg intends to shoot about his quixotic quest for cinema’s Holy Grail.
“I’m cautiously optimistic that we will find the print,” Grossberg told Welesnet, adding the September expedition “is our last, best chance of finding the original version of The Magnificent Ambersons.”

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

April 13, 2021

By RAY KELLY​

With the financial backing of a classic movies channel secured and a COVID-19 vaccine available, documentarian Josh Grossberg will travel to Brazil in September in search of Orson Welles’ lost, longer version of The Magnificent Ambersons.
TCM announced today it will distribute the documentary Grossberg intends to shoot about his quixotic quest for cinema’s Holy Grail.
“I’m cautiously optimistic that we will find the print,” Grossberg told Welesnet, adding the September expedition “is our last, best chance of finding the original version of The Magnificent Ambersons.”
The link to the whole article https://www.wellesnet.com/brazil-hunt-lost-ambersons/

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

April 13, 2021

By RAY KELLY​

Still, RAH isn't going to reveal something he might have heard as WAC is usually tight-lipped on such things.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The only one that is not on Blu-rays from Kino is The Heat’s On, which I have on DVD, and expect Sony or Mill Creek to release on Blu-ray within the next year, I do not see any of the Extras that attract my attention that are not on the Kino discs. So this is a non purchase for me.
Being in the UK I bought the Indicator box which is fabulous, especially the book. Fascinating to see these films, most of which I'd never seen before. The only dud is The Heat's On (aka Tropicana) in which Mae West looks bored, has none of her usual sparkle and sadly, looks her age.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If the screening print of Ambersons, which was sent to Brazil, wasn’t destroyed as requested, the heat and humidity should have had their affects.

And really, why would anyone bother keeping it?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If the screening print of Ambersons, which was sent to Brazil, wasn’t destroyed as requested, the heat and humidity should have had their affects.

And really, why would anyone bother keeping it?
I have never to this day watched "Ambersons" despite the glory years of WOR-TV airing it quite often. WOR-TV where I bet a lot of us saw King Kong, The Thing, Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Astaire and Rogers and where I saw Holiday Affair one Summer day at 1pm and fell in love with the film - I seemed to be ahead of the curve on that one - love watching TCM and the hosts even back to the GREAT one Mr. Osborne say that that film has grown in stature over the years. Mr. Harris should I catch "Ambersons" next time it airs? I always turn it off after 10 minutes. By the way will you be giving us "A few words about . . . .It's a Gift?" (Fields masterpiece)

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have never to this day watched "Ambersons" despite the glory years of WOR-TV airing it quite often. WOR-TV where I bet a lot of us saw King Kong, The Thing, Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Astaire and Rogers and where I saw Holiday Affair one Summer day at 1pm and fell in love with the film - I seemed to be ahead of the curve on that one - love watching TCM and the hosts even back to the GREAT one Mr. Osborne say that that film has grown in stature over the years. Mr. Harris should I catch "Ambersons" next time it airs? I always turn it off after 10 minutes. By the way will you be giving us "A few words about . . . .It's a Gift?" (Fields masterpiece)
You are best to view the Criterion Blu of Ambersons, and understand going in that’s it not the actual film, which was a masterpiece.

Presume you’re aware that WOR constantly ran the RKO library as they were both owned by General Tire.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are best to view the Criterion Blu of Ambersons, and understand going in that’s it not the actual film, which was a masterpiece.

Presume you’re aware that WOR constantly ran the RKO library as they were both owned by General Tire.
It was great growing up in the NYC Metro area back in the day, but those great films were cut too on WOR.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Thank you Sir, when Criterion thru Barnes and Noble has their 50 percent sale I will grab Ambersons, Yes I knew RKO was General Tire. When we lost the old WOR we lost so much, that station is now unwatchable. The good old days besides RKO titles I saw Drums Along The Mohawk, How Green Was My Valley and the Universal horror classics on the station for the first time.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It was great growing up in the NYC Metro area back in the day, but those great films were cut too on WOR.
Thank you Mr C! Maybe the one saving grace was back then there were less commercial breaks meaning hopefully not much was edited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks