What's new

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (1 Viewer)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I do not mind the "lower 3rds" at all. What is the alternative -- have a character say "boy it's hot today on Tantooene"(sp?)?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The planets have alien/foreign sounding names, so it's a benefit to see them spelled out.

BTW, Gareth Edwards tells a story about the time he went to Starbucks and they wrote "Scarif" on his cup. It stuck.

Maybe there will be a planet named Swarley in the future.

Although the article implies it's an alternate ending that never left the script stage, they shot scenes of Jyn running with the hard drive on the beach that made it into the trailers, so that direction went pretty far into production.

For those that read the novelization, did Jyn and Cassian make it out alive or did they die on Scarif?

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I do not mind the "lower 3rds" at all. What is the alternative -- have a character say "boy it's hot today on Tantooene"(sp?)?
Watch the other Star Wars movies, which are well-crafted in this regard. Good writing and storytelling gives the information in other ways when necessary (watch the brilliant scene between Han and Leia in the Falcon talking about Bespin in Empire). Tatooine is never named in the original Star Wars because it wasn't necessary. Because the script was thoughtfully considered before production began.

Edwards said "If I knew what I know now, I'd make the movie completely differently." It begs the question, "What does he know now?"

Whatever it is, that is a damning thing for a director to say about his own movie. But I don't blame him. A few fundamental changes could have made that movie ten times better, and he knows it, apparently.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For those that read the novelization, did Jyn and Cassian make it out alive or did they die on Scarif?
The novelization is basically the finished movie and not based on a version of the movie/script prior to the reshoots. There's a handful of things that aren't in the movie (like Jyn and the TIE Fighter from the trailer) but nothing particularly substantial.

Although the article implies it's an alternate ending that never left the script stage, they shot scenes of Jyn running with the hard drive on the beach that made it into the trailers, so that direction went pretty far into production.
I doubt I'll find out any time soon (or maybe even ever) but I'd bet the house that while they reworked stealing the plans or how they were sent to the fleet, the characters never escaped Scarif while they were shooting the movie.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I scanned through ROGUE ONE again. Tarkin looks better on my TV. But I still don't understand why Forrest Whittiker gives up and lets himself be killed. He could have died saving Gyn. Anything would be better than wimping out like that after all his tough guy act. And I also don't understand why Vader simply doesn't use his star destroyer to destroy the rebel flagship instead of trying to board it and physically get the plans. He outgunned them 20 to 1, and the rebel ship was already heavily damaged.

The last 45 minutes of that movie is still mostly fun, though.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
And I also don't understand why Vader simply doesn't use his star destroyer to destroy the rebel flagship instead of trying to board it and physically get the plans. He outgunned them 20 to 1, and the rebel ship was already heavily damaged.
That's one thing that bothers me about the ending. I think it would have made more sense that the ship that escaped from Scarif wasn't Tantive IV and that the rebels laid low for a few weeks before transmitting the plans to Leia. That would have made the beginning of ANH make more sense. This way, Vader is not fully aware of where the plans are.

I know R1 got slammed for "fan service" which I mostly didn't get (with some exceptions). When R1 took place , it made sense to have tie fighters and x-wings and Tarkin and Vader. But that ending I talked about above seems that fan service got the better of them at the cost of a more sensible ending.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's one thing that bothers me about the ending. I think it would have made more sense that the ship that escaped from Scarif wasn't Tantive IV and that the rebels laid low for a few weeks before transmitting the plans to Leia. That would have made the beginning of ANH make more sense. This way, Vader is not fully aware of where the plans are.
As per his dialogue in A New Hope, Darth Vader knows that Princess Leia's ship received the plans. She's just trying to tell some ridiculous lie about being on a diplomatic mission. A diplomatic mission is a tough sell when you try to outrun a pursuing Star Destroyer that shoots at them and then shoots and kills a bunch of stormtroopers when they board the ship.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
As per his dialogue in A New Hope, Darth Vader knows that Princess Leia's ship received the plans. She's just trying to tell some ridiculous lie about being on a diplomatic mission. A diplomatic mission is a tough sell when you try to outrun a pursuing Star Destroyer that shoots at them and then shoots and kills a bunch of stormtroopers when they board the ship.

Well, maybe I used the wrong choice of words. The Rebels, after getting the plans, lay low for a bit and then when they think it's safe they transmit the plans to Leia, but Vader/Empire somehow get wind of it. That way it makes more sense when Vader states that the plans were beamed to the ship by rebel spies. And it makes more sense that Leia attempts to lie. The charade doesn't make a ton of sense when Vader saw Tantive IV escaping from Scarif.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, maybe I used the wrong choice of words. The Rebels, after getting the plans, lay low for a bit and then when they think it's safe they transmit the plans to Leia, but Vader/Empire somehow get wind of it. That way it makes more sense when Vader states that the plans were beamed to the ship by rebel spies. And it makes more sense that Leia attempts to lie. The charade doesn't make a ton of sense when Vader saw Tantive IV escaping from Scarif.
But Leia's charade doesn't make sense with what is shown in A New Hope either. To equate Princess Leia's actions to the real world, it would be as if she robbed a bank, was trying to outrun the cops, got the tires on her car shot out, had a big shootout with the police and then when they arrested her, she tried to say with a straight face "What are you arresting me for?!"

Vader says "Where are those transmissions you intercepted" and "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies" and technically the Rebel flagship was sent the plans and then copied them on to a disk which was put on the Tantive IV but I don't see Vader a) splitting hairs over the order of who got or b) taking the bold action of shooting at the ship and killing a bunch of the crew of a Senator from a core world unless he was 100% sure that they had the plans.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Rewatched this last night, still a great movie but CGI Princess Leia just takes it down a tiny notch for me, she was just too "perfect" looking. Meaning no blemishes, looked like watercolor painting.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
CG Leia was terrible when she talked. If she didn't say a word I would have been ok with it.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have no problem with the Vader Leia encounter that much. It's a movie, it's supposed to be exciting. What bothered me was C3PO and R2D2 at Yavin. They explained it but that's not the point. It would mean more if they visit Yavin for the first time in ANH. Was Leia also supposed to be on Yavin in Rogue One?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I wanted to ask this. What's the total world wide box-office of Rogue One? What was TFA?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Rewatched this last night, still a great movie but CGI Princess Leia just takes it down a tiny notch for me, she was just too "perfect" looking. Meaning no blemishes, looked like watercolor painting.

The problem is for me is that Leia was lit like A NEW HOPE and placed into RO lighting. Looks better on Blu-ray but still not convincing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks