What's new

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (2 Viewers)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There are many great Making ofs. I don't know why they don't make them like before.
I would guess that it's because the overwhelming majority of consumers don't care about special features and, unfortunately, that has shrunk the budget on special features to a fraction of what it used to be. In the case of the great documentary on The Phantom Menace, it came out over 15 years ago during the golden age of DVD and it was funded by LFL and they always spent money on their documentaries (check out the insane amount of historical documentaries on the Young Indiana Jones DVDs).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Judging from the press release: It looks like the 3D Bluray will be an exclusive for both Best Buy AND target.

meme.jpg

Not knocking you, just the press release... lol.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They have to tell an interesting story and flow like a movie and not just some talking heads talking about random things. I'm not sure how much it's about money rather than good editing. I was shocked when at the end of TFA documentary I saw Laurent Bouzereau's name. He is experienced and his name is on many Spielberg documentaries. I don't know what went wrong.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If I could go back and do the film knowing what I know now, the final film would be completely different. I'd probably be willing to make Star Wars for the next 10 years and never let go of it -- constantly trying to finesse and find new ideas. But at some point, it stops, and it is the movie. The film that got released, I feel like that is the film, and everything else is just the process of making it.
Wow. Sage words, knowing that at some point, it stops, and it is the movie. Kind of wish someone else had that mentality... ;)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If I could go back and do the film knowing what I know now, the final film would be completely different.
--Gareth Edwards

I watched ROGUE ONE from a screener. Hadn't seen it since I saw it multiple times in the theater. I watched the whole movie on my TV, but I doubt I'll watch the first thirty minutes again any time soon. I will probably scan through it.

Say what you want about the prequel trilogy, but I was never bored, even when it was bad. The way the stories were told held my interest--if nothing else, visually.

The first quarter of ROGUE ONE, for this viewer, is just downright boring.

Visually, the movie was dishonest for me from the beginning, when the Imperial forces land a mile away and walk. That's just dumb. The whole sequence is kinda hard to believe. Especially the way the wife tries to kill Krennic. I'm not going to criticize the disjointed first hour of this movie in any detail. It's too easy of a target. I simply didn't buy into it. In the future I'll use my scan button.

The second half is entirely watchable, but I am still of the opinion that once a few more spinoffs are under our belts, RO will be at the bottom of the barrel.

The characters just don't engage me in a way that lasts for the length of the movie, much less beyond it. It's not that I didn't want to like it. I wanted to like it very badly. For me, ROGUE ONE just doesn't deliver more than a superficial emotional experience.

I was hoping seeing it on my TV would be different. All these months I've had that hope. Now I don't. Kinda sad about that.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...when the Imperial forces land a mile away and walk. That's just dumb.
I'd say that they were avoiding potential mines or some kind of weapon that would destroy the shuttle but I don't see how walking through the same area would be any safer.

Just goes to show that they should have left off that prologue and used the credit crawl that god intended all Star Wars movies to have. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Count me in as another who felt dissatisfied with this spin-off. Not a good Star Wars film.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd say that they were avoiding potential mines or some kind of weapon that would destroy the shuttle but I don't see how walking through the same area would be any safer.
Yes, that suggested to me right away that Edwards was more concerned with how the opening looked visually than with it making any kind of sense. And it was downhill from there. All those lower thirds (five in all, I lost count?)--begone from the STAR WARS universe, please. Never before used in any STAR WARS show and may they never again be used in the future. Tell a visual story that communicates and you don't need the pitiful crutch of lower thirds.

Just goes to show that they should have left off that prologue and used the credit crawl that god intended all Star Wars movies to have. :)
I was hoping they would at least bracket the title with the word STAR on top and WARS on the bottom, like in the PR stuff. But no. It's a STAR WARS story, but not anywhere on the actual film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
All those lower thirds (five in all, I lost count?)--begone from the STAR WARS universe, please. Never before used in any STAR WARS show and may they never again be used in the future. Tell a visual story that communicates and you don't need the pitiful crutch of lower thirds.
I didn't like those either but I get why they did it. There's a few planets that we only see once or twice (Ring Of Kafrene, Wobani) and the story ping pongs between 4 or 5 (?) planets early on so the locations could have been confusing to people. Once again, I don't like it but I understand.

Whatever the flaws the movie has, I absolutely loved the last hour of it. I'm sure I've said it before but I thought the idea of a group of average soldiers that died and will be forgotten by galactic history was great.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I didn't like those either but I get why they did it. There's a few planets that we only see once or twice (Ring Of Kafrene, Wobani) and the story ping pongs between 4 or 5 (?) planets early on so the locations could have been confusing to people. Once again, I don't like it but I understand.
I get why the did it too, because they couldn't construct the final cut well enough so they didn't need the crutches. Someone check me on this, but no iteration of Star Wars, be it TV or big screen, has ever been reduced to lower thirds to tell their story. Except for RO? Is that correct?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't recall ever seeing one in Clone Wars or Rebels, but I haven't given the holiday special close scrutiny :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I get why the did it too, because they couldn't construct the final cut well enough so they didn't need the crutches. Someone check me on this, but no iteration of Star Wars, be it TV or big screen, has ever been reduced to lower thirds to tell their story. Except for RO? Is that correct?
Correct. The Clone Wars used the opening narration or dialogue to establish the location and Rebels uses dialogue. To be fair, those shows don't hop around from planet to planet like RO did or if they do, they're doing it with established characters which cuts down on the potential for audience confusion.

Lower 3rds?
The graphic that comes up on the bottom third of the screen giving the planet/location.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
With all of the reshoots and reworking of the film, I wouldn't be surprised if they added those graphics because they didn't have an expository scene to lead into at least one of the segues, and then added it to all of them for consistency.

I am as baffled at some of the hate Rogue One is getting as I am for the love that TFA got. Absolutely LOVED Rogue One but was bored to tears by TFA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks