1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Retro gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bryan^H, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
    I have purchased 2 of the Atari Flashback systems (6 and 8) and enjoyed them immensely. I also got one of the NES Classic systems. I enjoy playing that as well. the crazy thing is Somewhere in Storage at my Parents' home of 35 years, the Original Atari 2600 and Nintendo NES are packed. One day I'll find them and see if I Can still play pro Wrestling.

The other thing I have done is purchased a number of the Plug and play Joysticks. Frogger, Space Invaders, Mrs. Pac man Defender, Joust Gauntlet and Last but not list the Classic NES Version of Double Dragon that was released by Trade West. I've been playing that one a lot and had a great time with it.

2. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Analogue's new Mega SG has had unofficial firmware released that enables use of the SD slot for playing rom images for Sega's 8 and 16 bit platforms. And thanks I suppose to the similarity of Sega's SG-1000 system, it also supports Colecovision games.

Sadly though, it doesn't support Colecovision accessories despite the same controller port being present. Despite fpga hardware being reprogrammable, I'm not sure the slightly incompatible controller pinout can be fixed since I imagine Kevtris would've implemented support on day 1 had it been possible (So I assume a physical issue is preventing it rather than a digital one). Perhaps an adapter can be produced by the community and will be supported by Kevtris, but that remains to be seen.

Hopefully we'll see some of his many other system cores ported over, since so many of us couldn't afford Analogue's NT Mini system or didn't really become aware of this until it was out of production.

Also worth noting is that there is an active homebrew game development scene on many platforms like the Colecovision, so the ability to read roms off SD card doesn't have to equate to piracy of copyrighted material. Piracy is of course frowned upon here, but there are many perfectly legal uses for this newly opened feature as well.

Bryan^H likes this.
  3. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    Is there such a wireless (wifi or BT) controller that will work with the Nintendo NES/SNES Classics as well as the PlayStation Classic? I was thinking it might have the SNES form factor, and have analog sticks too, like some of the 8bitdo offerings. I realize I'd (probably) need separate RF dongles for each brand. I really don't want to use a DS3/4 controller via BT, the form factor of these doesn't work well for me with these retro games, I prefer the Nintendo shape, in general, for this. I don't know anything about this...may not be asking the right questions...

4. Message #124 of 132 Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Beware retro collectors, E-Bay is a hotbed of Bootleg retro merch being passed off as the legitimate article. I just received a new in package PS2 controller that was fake crap. I couldn't believe how the packaging looked so authentic, but there were so many things "off" about it I knew in a matter of seconds I've been had. The controller which looked legit in package turned out to be a $5 Chinese knock off. Cheap super lightweight plastic, unresponsive buttons, and Analog sticks--and a squishy unresponsive D-Pad as well. Analog red light was laughable off color dim, and a visible diode when lit.

$40 down the drain.:angry:

5. English Invader

English Invader Stunt Coordinator

Simon
    Are you not able to return the item as significantly not as described?

I've been buying retro stuff off eBay for years and, while I've had a few rotten apples, I've learned how to side-step the landmines quite well. I've bought Chinese stuff before with mixed results but I've never paid top dollar for it and always known exactly what I was getting. I wouldn't bother with knock-off PS2 controllers because the genuine article is easy enough to find and they have a build quality that I know would not be present in a Chinese knock-off.

It might help if you posted a link to the listing you bought from to see if we can find any tell-tale signs to look out for in the future.

6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I bought the controller last November, and didn't open it until June. I showed it to my friend over the weekend, and he too was just baffled at how professional the packaging looked, and how terribly fake the controller was...although it sure looks legit at first glance.

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Greta to see a new Master System game. Sold out now more in stock come August. I can't wait.

8. Message #128 of 132 Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Managed to get a copy of Atari Flashback Classics yesterday for the Vita.

It's only my second Limited Run Games release. And since so few Vita retail releases that interest me are compatible with my Playstation TV, this is my first cartridge for the Vita. I still want to get Killzone for my PSTV since I enjoy the occasional fps and this was a technical showcase for the platform (and if I ever get a handheld, buy Uncharted and some others).

My previous purchase from LRG was Wii U Axiom Verge which had a print run of 6,000. But this one with 1,500 standard copies and 1,200 special editions has got to be my rarest officially licensed game for a Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/Sega platform. I went with the game only standard edition.

9. Message #129 of 132 Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Bryan, are you aware of a new fpga system called the Collectorvision Phoenix? Getting really intrigued about it as I read the thread covering it at AtariAge.

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/

[​IMG]

Out of the box it's just an Analogue style take on the Colecovision with built in support for the 21st century Super Game Module add-on from OpCode Games. But it's going to also ship with an Atari 2600 fpga core and the ability to play roms via the internal SD card, and an Atari 2600 cartridge adapter is planned.

Planned for later is an Intellivision core and cartridge adapter. I believe several arcade cores are also going to be included, although I'm unsure what games are planned to be supported at this time.

Toss in Atari 7800 and Bally Astrocade someday and I'd be in heaven. An Atari 400/800 core also would be pretty neat to see.

Bryan^H likes this.
  10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I heard about it. Sounds great.

LeoA likes this.
  11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I will always stand by my claim that James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing is one of the best video games for the PS2, or any system really. Just a blast of fun from start to finish.

Shockingly, From Russia With Love is a better game in nearly every way. I can't believe how much fun I'm having-PS2/S-Video, running on a NOS Philips 27" CRT, with a 5.1 Onkyo receiver optical (sound is incredible).

Plus I love the fact that Maria Menounos is a Bond girl. Awesome!

LeoA likes this.
  12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

This hurts. I don't want to buy these, but I am a complete idiot (hardcore fan) when it comes to Samurai Showdown.

IMG_1366.JPG IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1368.JPG

At $140 each, I have done much dumber things, but yeah this is going to hurt my wallet.

But just look at how beautiful...that Nakoruru machine is a thing of beauty, and my favorite character.