What's new

Retro gaming (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have purchased 2 of the Atari Flashback systems (6 and 8) and enjoyed them immensely. I also got one of the NES Classic systems. I enjoy playing that as well. the crazy thing is Somewhere in Storage at my Parents' home of 35 years, the Original Atari 2600 and Nintendo NES are packed. One day I'll find them and see if I Can still play pro Wrestling.

The other thing I have done is purchased a number of the Plug and play Joysticks. Frogger, Space Invaders, Mrs. Pac man Defender, Joust Gauntlet and Last but not list the Classic NES Version of Double Dragon that was released by Trade West. I've been playing that one a lot and had a great time with it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Analogue's new Mega SG has had unofficial firmware released that enables use of the SD slot for playing rom images for Sega's 8 and 16 bit platforms. And thanks I suppose to the similarity of Sega's SG-1000 system, it also supports Colecovision games.

Sadly though, it doesn't support Colecovision accessories despite the same controller port being present. Despite fpga hardware being reprogrammable, I'm not sure the slightly incompatible controller pinout can be fixed since I imagine Kevtris would've implemented support on day 1 had it been possible (So I assume a physical issue is preventing it rather than a digital one). Perhaps an adapter can be produced by the community and will be supported by Kevtris, but that remains to be seen.

Hopefully we'll see some of his many other system cores ported over, since so many of us couldn't afford Analogue's NT Mini system or didn't really become aware of this until it was out of production.

Also worth noting is that there is an active homebrew game development scene on many platforms like the Colecovision, so the ability to read roms off SD card doesn't have to equate to piracy of copyrighted material. Piracy is of course frowned upon here, but there are many perfectly legal uses for this newly opened feature as well.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Is there such a wireless (wifi or BT) controller that will work with the Nintendo NES/SNES Classics as well as the PlayStation Classic? I was thinking it might have the SNES form factor, and have analog sticks too, like some of the 8bitdo offerings. I realize I'd (probably) need separate RF dongles for each brand. I really don't want to use a DS3/4 controller via BT, the form factor of these doesn't work well for me with these retro games, I prefer the Nintendo shape, in general, for this. I don't know anything about this...may not be asking the right questions...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Beware retro collectors, E-Bay is a hotbed of Bootleg retro merch being passed off as the legitimate article. I just received a new in package PS2 controller that was fake crap. I couldn't believe how the packaging looked so authentic, but there were so many things "off" about it I knew in a matter of seconds I've been had. The controller which looked legit in package turned out to be a $5 Chinese knock off. Cheap super lightweight plastic, unresponsive buttons, and Analog sticks--and a squishy unresponsive D-Pad as well. Analog red light was laughable off color dim, and a visible diode when lit.

$40 down the drain.:angry:

Last edited:

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
Beware retro collectors, E-Bay is a hotbed of Bootleg retro merch being passed off as the legitimate article. I just received a new in package PS2 controller that was fake crap. I couldn't believe how the packaging looked so authentic, but there were so many things "off" about it I knew in a matter of seconds I've been had. The controller which looked legit in package turned out to be a $5 Chinese knock off. Cheap super lightweight plastic, unresponsive buttons, and Analog sticks--and a squishy unresponsive D-Pad as well. Analog red light was laughable off color dim, and a visible diode when lit.

$40 down the drain.:angry:

Are you not able to return the item as significantly not as described?

I've been buying retro stuff off eBay for years and, while I've had a few rotten apples, I've learned how to side-step the landmines quite well. I've bought Chinese stuff before with mixed results but I've never paid top dollar for it and always known exactly what I was getting. I wouldn't bother with knock-off PS2 controllers because the genuine article is easy enough to find and they have a build quality that I know would not be present in a Chinese knock-off.

It might help if you posted a link to the listing you bought from to see if we can find any tell-tale signs to look out for in the future.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Are you not able to return the item as significantly not as described?

I've been buying retro stuff off eBay for years and, while I've had a few rotten apples, I've learned how to side-step the landmines quite well. I've bought Chinese stuff before with mixed results but I've never paid top dollar for it and always known exactly what I was getting. I wouldn't bother with knock-off PS2 controllers because the genuine article is easy enough to find and they have a build quality that I know would not be present in a Chinese knock-off.

It might help if you posted a link to the listing you bought from to see if we can find any tell-tale signs to look out for in the future.

I bought the controller last November, and didn't open it until June. I showed it to my friend over the weekend, and he too was just baffled at how professional the packaging looked, and how terribly fake the controller was...although it sure looks legit at first glance.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Managed to get a copy of Atari Flashback Classics yesterday for the Vita.

It's only my second Limited Run Games release. And since so few Vita retail releases that interest me are compatible with my Playstation TV, this is my first cartridge for the Vita. I still want to get Killzone for my PSTV since I enjoy the occasional fps and this was a technical showcase for the platform (and if I ever get a handheld, buy Uncharted and some others).

My previous purchase from LRG was Wii U Axiom Verge which had a print run of 6,000. But this one with 1,500 standard copies and 1,200 special editions has got to be my rarest officially licensed game for a Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft/Sega platform. I went with the game only standard edition.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Bryan, are you aware of a new fpga system called the Collectorvision Phoenix? Getting really intrigued about it as I read the thread covering it at AtariAge.

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/

Phoenix-1.jpg

Out of the box it's just an Analogue style take on the Colecovision with built in support for the 21st century Super Game Module add-on from OpCode Games. But it's going to also ship with an Atari 2600 fpga core and the ability to play roms via the internal SD card, and an Atari 2600 cartridge adapter is planned.

Planned for later is an Intellivision core and cartridge adapter. I believe several arcade cores are also going to be included, although I'm unsure what games are planned to be supported at this time.

Toss in Atari 7800 and Bally Astrocade someday and I'd be in heaven. An Atari 400/800 core also would be pretty neat to see.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will always stand by my claim that James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing is one of the best video games for the PS2, or any system really. Just a blast of fun from start to finish.

Shockingly, From Russia With Love is a better game in nearly every way. I can't believe how much fun I'm having-PS2/S-Video, running on a NOS Philips 27" CRT, with a 5.1 Onkyo receiver optical (sound is incredible).

Plus I love the fact that Maria Menounos is a Bond girl. Awesome!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This hurts. I don't want to buy these, but I am a complete idiot (hardcore fan) when it comes to Samurai Showdown.

IMG_1366.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG

At $140 each, I have done much dumber things, but yeah this is going to hurt my wallet.

But just look at how beautiful...that Nakoruru machine is a thing of beauty, and my favorite character.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I bought three S-video cables for my Super Nintendo, N64, and Gamecube--crazy they all have the same AV hookup--for $5 each it is quite a bargain. I tried Goldeneye out last night, has this aged well? Ummm it has a heap of nostalgia for me lets put it that way. It is still a fun action game but I have gotten so used to modern FPS controls for the last 20 years that his takes a bit of effort to get into.

Looked crisp and clear with S-video, at least 50% better than standard composite cables. Deeper color, and sharper image, but also showed the flaws inherent to the system.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is awesome!
https://www.analogue.co/dac/

Digital to Analog converter for $80. HDMI to S-Video? Sure why not.

CRT is great for me, and light gun games are back in the mix.
My Mega SG with scan lines on 65" TV though is so much better than I thought it could be...it is going to be a tough decision.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't realize you had bought a Mega SG.

I'm hoping to finally place my order here shortly, just weeks before their new system likely is going to be announced (October is when the Super NT and Mega SG both were unveiled). Hoping to also buy one of the 6 button officially licensed Retro-Bit controllers and the 8BitDo M30 wireless controller to go along with it.

I'll probably skip the DAC though for that and my Super NT. I still have my Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis 3 that I got for Christmas back in the 1990's. And I have the HD Retrovision component cables for them for whenever I feel like playing SNES and Genesis games on my Trinitron.

I was a latecomer to the Sega Genesis and have never actually owned a proper Sega produced Genesis system, just that budget Majesco rerelease that actually is quite good although it's treated as a 3rd class citizen by Genesis fans.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize you had bought a Mega SG.

I'm hoping to finally place my order here shortly, just weeks before their new system likely is going to be announced (October is when the Super NT and Mega SG both were unveiled). Hoping to also buy one of the 6 button officially licensed Retro-Bit controllers and the 8BitDo M30 wireless controller to go along with it.

I'll probably skip the DAC though for that and my Super NT. I still have my Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis 3 that I got for Christmas back in the 1990's. And I have the HD Retrovision component cables for them for whenever I feel like playing SNES and Genesis games on my Trinitron.

I was a latecomer to the Sega Genesis and have never actually owned a proper Sega produced Genesis system, just that budget Majesco rerelease that actually is quite good although it's treated as a 3rd class citizen by Genesis fans.

Yeah, I had to have it.

I grew up with Sega. The Master System was the first console I owned, and my first paycheck of my first job went to purchasing the Genesis.

The Mega SG was everything I hoped it would be. Being a purist I'm ashamed to say on my 65" Sony, I don't think I can go back to CRT (For this system)--the HD video is great(must have scan lines though) The high quality sound is honestly one of the features I love most. I can't believe that the Master System, and Genesis carts sound so crisp, and clear.
Like playing them for the first time.

I played games like Gauntlet 4, and Golden Axe 2 just so I could hear the awesome score 5.1 in high res audio

Holy cow do I love Golen Axe 2. Absolute perfection.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Also there is a pretty strong rumor that Analogue is going to release a new NT-mini, but apparently a cheaper price point. So, NES will be back in the mix in HD! I hope it is true.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Retro USB AVS is great, but if a new NT Mini appeared and still has the core store, I'd love to get it for stuff like Atari 7800 games.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think the XBOX is the most problematic system ever created!

My first unit that was very gently used, and well cared for died a little over 2 years thanks to the frightfully flawed Thompson Drive. So I bought another with the Samsung disc drive, and thought problem solved. No.

I understand that it is 15 years old now but my properly stored, and very well cared for/extremely gently used unit is broken--this time because of the second biggest flaw, the motor of the disc drive failed. So I am stuck either playing "Men of Valor" for the rest of my life or buying another "used" unit, and trust me....that is never going to happen. I don't need another boat anchor.
Two units with less than 200 hours of use between them, and this is what I am left with. Well at least I got to beat KOTOR which was great.
I'm really saddened by this, as there are some fantastic exclusive games for the system, and I would have liked to play those I never got around to initially.

At least with the XBOX 360, the red death light issue was remedied with a system that was so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks