What's new

Retro gaming (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What was the remedy-- one without an insistent red death light?

The "Red Ring of Death" which was just an overheating issue, but destroyed systems regardless was remedied with the redesign of the console. The XBox 360 "S" runs cool, and lasts forever.

This is perfection:

IMG_1409.JPG

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
For those interested, Sydney Hunter for the Master System now has the second batch available and ready to ship at Collectorvision.com.

I finally ordered mine.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
https://www.analogue.co/pocket/
I am a huge fan of the original Gameboy so this goes above and beyond what I could have hoped for.
ap1.jpg

It even comes with a dock so you can play on your TV.
I would say this is too good to be true, but I have bought products from Analogue and have been nothing less than 100% pleased with their products.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've been drooling over it all day.

Another neat thing is this will be open to homebrew. So we'll hopefully see some stuff like Mister cores (An open source FPGA based retro gaming platform) getting ported over. Lots of neat things there like Vectrex, Astrocade, and tons of arcade cores.

Also, my impression is that the dock will be sold as an accessory. So we're likely looking at an additional $100 plus another $20-$30 shipping charge.

Also, they've said that this is only "announcement number 1" and that "we're just getting started." So hopefully that Analogue 8 patent, which some believe might be a HDMI only, plastic cased successor to the NT Mini, will get unveiled shortly.

https://www.retrorgb.com/analogue-handheld-and-8-bit-trademark-leak.html

Since I'm most interested in today's announcement as a console, I'm actually hoping their next announcement will be a true consolized version of this handheld system, minus the dock, onboard controls, screen, speakers, headphone jack, etc. A lot of retro gamers are interested in this for a better tv experience, so I could see demand for a console only option.

$200 will be kinder to my wallet than $300+ and if this next Analogue announcements instead ends up a NT Mini follow-up with all those extra cores like for the Atari 7800 that Kevtris created, I don't even want to think about it in the same calendar year.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Also, they've said that this is only "announcement number 1" and that "we're just getting started." So hopefully that Analogue 8 patent, which some believe might be a HDMI only, plastic cased successor to the NT Mini, will get unveiled shortly.

I sure hope we get another NES based system from Analogue.
Changing topic-----
I think the best advice I can give to any game collectors out there is to never trade, sell, or purge your classic games. You might regret it.

When I sold 75 of my mint Sega Genesis complete in box games(no sports titles) I thought I did alright ($8 each:angry:) . Now most of those games complete and in great condition bring between $50-$200. Not to mention I would have loved to play them on my Mega SG.

With the announcement of the Analogue Pocket, I find myself in very much the same situation having to buy back the games I have gotten rid of over the years, and desperately want to play them again on the new unit.

It really sucks!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sega Genesis Mini is now $50 at GameStop, so I gave in and put an order in. Looking forward to putting it through its paces, although with my Mega Sg now here, I'm in no rush.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is crazy. Krull for the Atari 2600. Common. Cases of 6 sealed copies selling for $40-$60 about 10 years ago.
So why is a single sealed copy now going for $270 on E-Bay?
I have a theory that is pretty frightening.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a Nintendo mini (2017) that has a usb connection. Why is this? Is it meant to be able to be plugged into a computer?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's meant to power the system, much like how you'd charge a cell phone.

It's also the avenue that modders take to install other emulators and add games, but we can't delve further into that topic here (Even though there's plenty of freely distributed modern homebrew games for most any classic gaming system, it's also the pathway used to illegally load it with copyrighted software).

Most plug and play systems now that that segment has finally entered the HD age seem to be utilizing USB connections to power themselves these days, thanks in part to most television sets having a conveniently located USB port. It's also how the high end fpga systems I've bought from Analogue get power (The Super Nt and Mega Sg). Same with a Roku Express HDMI dongle I just set up for my mother the other day. Seems to be the option of choice for electronics with low power demands these days.

Speaking of Analogue, one last run of the Analogue Nt Mini is coming after being out of stock since 2017.

1247348015_NtminiNoir.jpg.1c2f28a5a2a04dfb77e60d8b4a5b65a5.jpg

Too rich for my blood at $499, but I sure wish I could get one. For anyone unaware, it's a high definition Nintendo (NES) clone utilizing a fpga board for the system's guts. It can also play games from a variety of other classic consoles like the Atari 2600.

I had hoped this would happen, but was hoping it would have a plastic shell and drop the analogue video outputs like their last two systems had. $200 for the Super Nt and Mega Sg has been expensive, but reasonable. But $500 for extra frills like the aluminum casing machined from a solid block of aluminum isn't something I can justify.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It's also the avenue that modders take to install other emulators and add games, but we can't delve further into that topic here (Even though there's plenty of freely distributed modern homebrew games for most any classic gaming system, it's also the pathway used to illegally load it with copyrighted software).

Most plug and play systems now that that segment has finally entered the HD age seem to be utilizing USB connections to power themselves these days, thanks in part to most television sets having a conveniently located USB port. It's also how the high end fpga systems I've bought from Analogue get power (The Super Nt and Mega Sg). Same with a Roku Express HDMI dongle I just set up for my mother the other day. Seems to be the option of choice for electronics with low power demands these days.

Speaking of Analogue, one last run of the Analogue Nt Mini is coming after being out of stock since 2017.

Too rich for my blood at $499, but I sure wish I could get one. For anyone unaware, it's a high definition Nintendo (NES) clone utilizing a fpga board for the system's guts. It can also play games from a variety of other classic consoles like the Atari 2600.

I had hoped this would happen, but was hoping it would have a plastic shell and drop the analogue video outputs like their last two systems had. $200 for the Super Nt and Mega Sg has been expensive, but reasonable. But $500 for extra frills like the aluminum casing machined from a solid block of aluminum isn't something I can justify.

So, I can plug it into my tv USB port instead of plugging it into a standard outlet and unplugging it all the time? Ok. Cool.

I’ve been hoping Nintendo would release a second system with more games like At Games did with the Atari Flashbacks. The Nintendo mini didn’t have the Nintendo pro wrestling game on it and that’s my favorite game. I still Have an old 8 bit Nintendo system somewhere in storage but the gun doesn’t work with the newer TVs. They don’t have the right sensor

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

$500 is too steep for me. As much as I want this, I have to pass, especially knowing that it is almost certain another NES FPGA system from Analogue will be launching either late this year or next year...at a lower price point I'm sure.

I missed out on the Game Gear expansion for the Mega SG. Sold out.
And for those that don't own the Super NT, I wouldn't waste any time placing an order. They are down to just the black systems, with all others sold out. Because Analogue doesn't have a "low quantity" marker, many times the hardware sells out unexpectedly leaving potential buyers in the dust. Left to kick themselves gazing at the 3X (or more) aftermarket prices on E-Bay.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I hope you're right, since I also have to pass.

I don't own an Everdrive N8 flashcart or a Retro USB AVS (The only other fpga HD NES clone), so if I can buy a $200 Analogue system that does NES one of these days and which also serves as it's own built-in flashcart, it saves me over $100 right off the bat. And if it keeps all the Nt Mini's additional cores like the Atari 2600/7800 one, even better.

Maybe it's what the secret Analogue 8 is going to be (They trademarked the name at the same time they did the Analogue Pocket, the latter of which is hopefully going up for preorder soon).

I missed out on the Game Gear expansion for the Mega SG. Sold out.

At least it turned out to be a dud. Analogue has cautioned people not to use the Game Gear adapter and will be supplying free replacements before taking fresh orders.

I know at least one AtariAge user with a Mega Sg that possibly has been damaged thanks to the Game Gear adapter being faulty.

And for those that don't own the Super NT, I wouldn't waste any time placing an order. .

It's a great high-definition Super Nintendo, so if anyone is on the fence, I highly recommend it.

So, I can plug it into my tv USB port instead of plugging it into a standard outlet and unplugging it all the time? Ok. Cool.

Should work fine.

If not, it just won't turn on. This was the case for me with the Playstation Classic on my tv. Apparently the USB port of my television didn't put out quite enough juice for Sony's system, so I had to use a NES/SNES Classic USB power adapter plugged into my surge protector.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've slowly been laboring through Lego Dimensions on my Xbox One in recent days, unlocking the classic Atari Games/Midway/Williams arcade games. I wish there was a code I could input to unlock these though since I don't care for Lego Dimensions at all, but only about 10 more levels to go.

The classic arcade games aren't perfect, but at least they run without severe visual artifacts like they do on the Wii U version (A patch broke them and it never got fixed). Somewhat concerned that Timber and Roadblasters won't play too well when I reach them though since they were two of my main goals.

Timber's bonus stage where you have to keep your lumberjack from falling off a floating log doesn't seem to have any animation on YouTube videos of Lego Dimensions. I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a consequence of 30 fps video uploads instead of 60, since if you can't tell which way the log is rolling, the bonus stage literally is impossible.

And the steering in Roadblasters on a YouTube video I watched appears to be all or nothing with no analog finesse. The arcade game had several dozen degrees of steering input possible, so I'm crossing my fingers that the uploader was just using their d-pad to steer instead of the analog stick.

And I wish there was a way to port my save to the PS4. I bought the Wii U starter kit at first only to discover that the arcade games were broke. The Wii U portal accessory though is also compatible with the PS4 (And PS3) and a used PS4 disc is only $5. But I don't think I have it in me to play through Lego Dimensions a second time to unlock these games over there.

Would be nice to see that Wii U purchase not go completely to waste though, but at least it was only $20 on Black Friday a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks