Retro gaming

John_Bilbrey

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up a N64 with WCW/NWO Revenge - perhaps the best wrestling game ever created. Got it at a pawn shop with two controllers for $50. It reeked of cigarettes and needed a new video cable, but those were both easily solved. I also picked up a composite-to-HDMI converter. I only have one TV that has composite inputs, and I didn't want to be limited to where I played.
I need to pick up a couple of games for it (GoldenEye, MarioKart, etc) and get busy.

Reactions: LeoA

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
There's finally a good aftermarket controller if you discover the analog sticks are worn out on the controllers you got with the system (A common ailment).

Here's one of the colors on Amazon.

Amazon product
If you ever decide you want to upgrade the video quality, there's a good solution there as well. But it's expensive and requires modifications to the system (Look up the Ultra HDMI mod if I've piqued your interest).

John_Bilbrey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that. The controllers are in pretty decent shape - I think there's just some dust down in the stick area. I may tear into them this weekend and see what kind of magic I can work on them.

man - original game cartridges are fetching a pretty penny on fleabay. There are some "new" ones from China, but I'm not going there.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've heard that prices are on the rise there. Glad I have my original cartridges from when the Nintendo 64 was current (And several dozen more that I bought used when GameStop was clearancing their N64 inventory around 2004 or so).

There's an alternative option though. It's called an Everdrive 64, which is a multicart. With it, you can load up a variety of Nintendo 64 roms to a SD card and play them on your Nintendo 64.

Just be sure if you buy one to get it from an authorized retailer like StoneAgeGamer.com (Be wary of buying from somewhere like Ebay, since poor quality bootleg Everdrives are now common).

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Does anyone own SNK 40th Anniversary Collection? It's bugging me that it runs windowed on my Playstation 4 with black borders on all four sides of the screen.

Even the initial splash screens such as this one for developer Digital Eclipse are windowed.

Setting the emulated games themselves to full so that they fill the vertical space while maintaining their original 4:3 horizontal or 3:4 vertical aspect ratios, results in them only expanding to reach the black border around the screen (Where as ideally I'd want them to reach the top and bottom edges of my tv for the biggest picture area).

I don't understand why there's a black border throughout this collection or see any complaining about it. It's almost as if it's a fluke only affecting me, but a reinstall didn't do anything to change the situation. Nothing exotic about my video settings either. Just 1080p/16:9 like most other PS4 owners.

Last edited:

John_Bilbrey

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up (2) copies of GoldenEye. Why 2 you ask? Well, the first one wouldn't play on my console. Thankfully, a good seller on fleabay issued me a refund. I haven't tested the replacement I ordered from another seller.

What would make the cartridge not load up? The contacts looked OK, and he said it played fine on his console.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Picked up (2) copies of GoldenEye. Why 2 you ask? Well, the first one wouldn't play on my console. Thankfully, a good seller on fleabay issued me a refund. I haven't tested the replacement I ordered from another seller.

What would make the cartridge not load up? The contacts looked OK, and he said it played fine on his console.
20 year old cartridge? Maybe it was dropped in delivery and that was the final shock to break something.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Anyone planning to buy the Analogue Pocket? They finally announced when preorders will happen and further details.

Alas though, it doesn't ship until next year.

Reactions: Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Anyone planning to buy the Analogue Pocket? They finally announced when preorders will happen and further details.

Alas though, it doesn't ship until next year.

I don't do the pre-order/pay instantly thing anymore, so I hope they are available when the system launches, otherwise I'm out of luck.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm thinking it will be.

If I was running this company and releasing what I'm portraying as a limited edition product that will disappear from sale quickly, I'd open up preorders well in advance for about a week and close them to further the illusion that it's truly a limited item.

But then a few months later just before the system is to enter manufacturing, I'd open preorders back up briefly to tap the demand from people that didn't bite but regretted it during the first round of preorders. Then I'd tack on a certain percentage of extra units to what I'm ordering from the factory, and announce after preorders have all shipped next spring that limited inventory of the Analogue Pocket is available to purchase.

The similarly limited Nt Mini Noir has so far gone through my first two steps. We'll have to wait and see if step 3 happens whenever the thing finally ships, but I suspect it will. The buzz at release is going to make some people that stayed at the sidelines during preoders due to the $499 sticker shock, reconsider and want to buy one. Analogue would be stupid not to have some extras to go after those latecomers.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Tried to place a preorder for the Analogue Pocket.

It took several minutes for it to calculate shipping, but then a perfectly good credit card was declined. Entered it in a second time with the same result. By the time I got my debit card out for a 3rd attempt at payment, it was out of stock.

After buying the Super Nt and Mega Sg, this experience just now has I think cured me of my expensive attraction to Analogue products going forward.

• Sad
Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Tried to place a preorder for the Analogue Pocket.

It took several minutes for it to calculate shipping, but then a perfectly good credit card was declined. Entered it in a second time with the same result. By the time I got my debit card out for a 3rd attempt at payment, it was out of stock.
So they declined your credit card twice, then when you tried to use a debit card, the product was already sold to someone else? Unreal!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Yeah :(

I would've hoped that having it in my cart would've reserved my spot as I went through the process of payment, but apparently not. It essentially is tantamount to someone walking up to my shopping cart that has an in-demand item in it at a b&m retailer, and taking it for themselves as I walk up to the register.

Analogue's marketing apparently decided that making this appear limited is the way to go. They quickly rolled out COVID-19 afterwards on social media for an excuse on limited numbers and stated that they'd be making further units available in the future.

Yet the darn thing doesn't ship until May 2021. In no way has COVID-19 contributed to today when they won't even be sourcing components and entering manufacturing until the latter part of next winter.

They set an arbitrarily low number or timeframe for preorders, fully realizing many would be turned away. All apparently to further the illusion that it's limited of it, to get many others to jump the next time that were on the fence and with the knowledge most that failed today will probably try again next time.

But it backfired in my case. I'm thoroughly disgusted after the effort I put in to be here and ready at 11AM. I'm pretty sure I'm not only over the Analogue Pocket, but finished with Analogue themselves.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I was able to order the Pocket for my son (I had promised it to him as a present for completing grad school) at 11:03, I hope it ships before he gets his PhD. ;)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah :(

I would've hoped that having it in my cart would've reserved my spot as I went through the process of payment, but apparently not. It essentially is tantamount to someone walking up to my shopping cart that has an in-demand item in it at a b&m retailer, and taking it for themselves as I walk up to the register.

Analogue's marketing apparently decided that making this appear limited is the way to go. They quickly rolled out COVID-19 afterwards on social media for an excuse on limited numbers and stated that they'd be making further units available in the future.

Yet the darn thing doesn't ship until May 2021. In no way has COVID-19 contributed to today when they won't even be acquiring components and entering manufacturing until the latter part of next winter.

They set an arbitrarily low number or timeframe, fully realizing many would be turned away, apparently to further the limited appeal of it to get most of those that missed out and many others to jump the next time.

But it backfired in my case. I'm thoroughly disgusted after the effort I put in to be here and ready at 11AM.
I would be upset too Leo.

As cool as a product this is destined to be, this rollout of a pre-order was a disaster.
And charging credit cards the $200 (or whatever the total price is) almost an entire year before the unit ships...no thank you.

I thought a lot about this, and decided I'm going to buy an original mint GB instead as that is the only retro handheld system I care about playing. And the nostalgia, my goodness. It will be like Christmas 1989 all over again.

IMG_1881.JPG

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Looks like my hunch on how Analogue is handling the Noir and will handle the Pocket, was pretty accurate.

More Nt Mini Noir's available tomorrow morning, with the system shipping out to buyers in November.
I got an e-mail about it. I cant see it selling out too fast, as that is a pretty serious chunk of change. At any rate, I'll try to get my order in.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Unbelievable.
I checked at 9:30 and they were all gone.

I despise Limited Run Games for their timed pre order for the scalpers business model.
Looks like Analogue is following that same path, create demand by causing urgency, which leads to selling out in panicked minutes.
Systems are ready to sell for secondary pre orders from scalpers on E-Bay for the low price of $1,100 (and up). Get yours now.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I heard this possibly last round of preorders lasted approximately 2 minutes.

If I couldn't get my order done in 8 minutes for the Pocket, I'd of stood no chance with this. I was considering trying for one if another round of preorders happened and the government sent another stimulus check, but the timing wasn't right.

At the end of the day though, I'm confident that we'll see a plastic Nt Mini eventually at a saner ~$200 price. All these cores have been done for scratch for the Nt Mini Noir, including a fully rewritten NES core. That's an awful lot of work by Kevtris for such a limited availability item as this. I can't see that investment going to waste.

Plus a lot of the extra cores available through the "core store" are systems that don't particularly translate well to the NES controller, like the announced Intellivision core (Another 'Noir' exclusive core remains to be announced, with my bets being on the Bally Astrocade). Helps ease me having to skip on it. Plus, maybe all this work will reappear on a future Analogue platform with something like USB controller support.

I can't see how 90% of the Intellivision library will actually be enjoyable to play with the NES controller. If some Colecovision keypad buttons require 3 buttons to be pressed simultaenously on a Genesis controller on the Mega Sg, I'd hate to think what the button combinations will be on the Nt Mini Noir for Intellivision and Colecovision games.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I heard this possibly last round of preorders lasted approximately 2 minutes.

If I couldn't get my order done in 8 minutes for the Pocket, I'd of stood no chance with this. I was considering trying for one if another round of preorders happened and the government sent another stimulus check, but the timing wasn't right.

At the end of the day though, I'm confident that we'll see a plastic Nt Mini eventually at a saner ~$200 price. All these cores have been done for scratch for the Nt Mini Noir, including a fully rewritten NES core. That's an awful lot of work by Kevtris for such a limited availability item as this. I can't see that investment going to waste.

Plus a lot of the extra cores available through the "core store" are systems that don't particularly translate well to the NES controller, like the announced Intellivision core (Another 'Noir' exclusive core remains to be announced, with my bets being on the Bally Astrocade). Helps ease me having to skip on it. Plus, maybe all this work will reappear on a future Analogue platform with something like USB controller support.

I can't see how 90% of the Intellivision library will actually be enjoyable to play with the NES controller. If some Colecovision keypad buttons require 3 buttons to be pressed simultaenously on a Genesis controller on the Mega Sg, I'd hate to think what the button combinations will be on the Nt Mini Noir for Intellivision and Colecovision games.
I just figured at $500 a unit (plus shipping) that they would have lasted a bit longer.
Looks like a lot of people have deep pockets.

Nothing from Analogue has ever sold out as rapidly as these past two pre sales (normally months, not minutes). What has changed?

Just for fun I checked some of the non "buy it now" pre orders for the Analogue Pocket. They are averaging $700-$800. And they are selling swiftly. For something that doesn't ship until next April....from a scalper.
I never care what people spend their money on, but in this case it is kind of infuriating. We want these units because we love retro games. These scalpers want the units because they want money. We lose, and they get rich.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els