1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Retro gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bryan^H, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'm in

2. Message #102 of 134 Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Hopefully it includes more than just Space Invaders Part II (The color version). Really needs that beautiful backdrop that the original uprights had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously wouldn't be accomplished here via the old mirror setup of the arcade, but emulators and ports have long simulated the feature.

Even the Super Nintendo port included it as an option.

[​IMG]

Plain Space Invaders looks a bit dull. Space Invaders with that beautiful backdrop though, especially an original arcade cabinet with the sense of depth you got with this mirror setup with the bright raster graphics overlaid on it (And the backdrop actually being two parts, with the planet surface closer than the actual backdrop), still has timeless beauty.

Bryan^H likes this.
  3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Although I do like the 1UP cabinet art, I really wish it was the north American cabinet release art instead. I do love the game though, and playing emulations never has felt proper. I should just look at mint original arcade cabinets, but do not have the room for it.

LeoA likes this.
  4. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Just got Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 in the mail today for the PS4. Time for some black & white Atari arcade games. :)

Bryan^H likes this.
  5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I bought the digital of "Oniken" for the Switch. Very good game with great 8-bit graphics, and music. But dear heaven the Pro controller is utterly, and completely abysmal for this.

The d-pad is way too squishy, and the thumb stick is worse. Unplayable with it. Are there any dedicated NES style controllers for the Switch...that are good?

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Nintendo itself sells exactly that:
    https://www.imore.com/how-buy-new-nes-controllers-nintendo-switch

Bryan^H likes this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The NES Switch controllers are just about as close to the original NES controllers as you can get. It's kind of amazing.

They also become really uncomfortable to use pretty quickly...so they're VERY authentic!

Bryan^H likes this.
  9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

But perfect for twitch style gameplay, which many 8 bit games are. Oniken is Mega Man style in terms of split second/precsion timing. Something that the pro controller simply CANNOT do.

10. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I’ve been impressed by the NES controllers for the Switch. They look and feel right. However, they’re expensive, so it’s important to know they aren’t compatible with every game. Nintendo only “officially” supports them for NES games. They’ll work with others, but only games that support d-pad movement and only the A/B buttons. For example, they won’t work for Smash Bros (which doesn’t have d-pad movement support) or Dead Cells (which is missing a button for “attack”).

They also don’t have a home button, so I think you’ll still have to reach for a standard controller to exit games.

11. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Another option in lieu of Nintendo's own Switch specific NES gamepads is the 8BitDo adapter.

http://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

As one with a big Classic Controller collection, including NES/SNES Classic gamepads and the Emio arcade stick for each system (Both of which I've upgraded with Sanwa arcade sticks and buttons), this will be an early purchase when I buy a Switch.

Also conveniently has a home button and a screenshot button on the adapter itself (and of course supports GameCube controllers, which is supposed to be its main draw).

Bryan^H likes this.
  12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I think I'm going this route. Only $20!

LeoA likes this.
  13. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I haven’t tried this specific adapter, but I’ve been using one of the older 8BitDo Super Famicom-style controllers (with specialized wireless adapter for the NES/NES classics) and the design is solid, like the real thing, and most of all, it works.

Conversely, controllers that rely on internal bluetooth to tether (e.g. to connect to a PC or a console) have not worked for me at all, but YMMV.

14. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I've been trying to pre order the Mega SG since November of last year, and Analogue's store is still broken. Almost four months later.

I find it odd that there is no mention of the problem on their site, Facebook, or Twitter.

https://www.analogue.co/store/
    .....??????........

15. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    This error?

"You cannot mix pre-orders with in-stock items because one item ships now and one later. Please place two separate orders."

I wonder if they've sold all of the 1st run, and this is some strange out of stock error.

16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

All I ever get is:

403 ERROR
    The request could not be satisfied.
    This distribution is not configured to allow the HTTP request method that was used for this request. The distribution supports only cachable requests.

LeoA likes this.
  17. Message #117 of 134 Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I hope they fix whatever's up that's causing our issues, since I got the error I said even though preorders appear to be open.

I'm not in the market right now for the Mega SG, but was hoping to get it this Fall like I did with the Super NT last year. Then, I hope Analogue takes the year off in 2020 since I want to get the Retro USB AVS for NES games one of these days, but I worry the Analogue stuff will be limited time so it took priority in 2018 and will again in 2019 (Which may be unfounded, since the Super NT remains available nearly a year after launch).

There's also a fpga Colecovision on the way that I'm keeping my eyes on. Along with Colecovision support including for original cartridges, it will include an Atari 2600 core and some arcade cores as well for playing those files off SD card. And hopefully a few surprises follow on that one, like the Bally Astrocade.

That's a system I'd love to own but one that seems to have become very fragile in modern times, making it not worth the risk since they're expensive. So if they do a Gorf/Wizard of Wor arcade core, I hope they don't forget the Astrocade (The Neo Geo AES of 1980, with very similar guts to what was inside Gorf and Wizard of Wor arcade cabinets).

18. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Something is up. My guess is that they only had a certain alotment of Mega SG, and the pre orders far exceeded that amount. But to leave potential buyers out in the cold for four months is rather cruel. I will e-mail them and hope for a response.

19. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I never got a response to my e-mail to Analogue. To be honest I didn't expect one. Oh well, all I can say is that when the Mega SG system launches in April it will be readily available to purchase. If not, life goes on.

20. Message #120 of 134 Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I just bought my last pro-grade (AKA nice security monitor:D) CRT another South Korean Pelco, but this one is 21" another new old stock from 2004 for just $140. that brings me to a total of four/ Three 14", and one 21".

[​IMG]

I tested it with my PS2, and Panasonic 3DO. I didn't expect otherwise, but the video quality is fantastic..

Just thought I would post this to let all retro gamers out there know you can have a pro-grade NEW CRT monitor for next to nothing, stay away from the like size Sony models they may be a bit better but is that worth an added $1K? well maybe if you are rich. These units were made for us.

BobO'Link and LeoA like this.