What's new

Retro gaming (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Anyone buy a Playstation Classic? I've been successfully scared away for now.

While what I've seen doesn't look like as horrible as it's made out to be (Maybe I'd feel different playing it in person rather than watching video), for $100 I expect higher quality.

Maybe if it ever gets the price slashed in 2019 or is successfully hacked to enable us to load a more capable PS1 emulator and replace the PAL ISO's with proper 60 hz NTSC versions, I'll reconsider. So far though it's all quiet on the homebrew front it appears, despite this now being in many people's hands.

After the video reviews I have watched, you couldn't pay me to play that garbage.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
After the video reviews I have watched, you couldn't pay me to play that garbage.

Just saw it, and I agree-- lack of any real game choice, horrible colors, sluggish controlling; no way am I forking down the money for what I strongly agree seems to be quite junk!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, $100 for 20 PS1 games is a good deal. And the menu interface I kind of like because it's simple and a good throwback to the original. But yeah, the emulation is really poor (Digital Foundry did a great video about how it's the worst way to play PS1 games compared to the PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PS Vita) and the game selection is weak.

EDIT: The one thing that really gets me about this is...I mean..come on, Rainbow Six? Really? Were people clamoring for the PS1 port of Rainbow Six?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I preordered a PS1 Classic the day it was announced and picked it up yesterday. It is hooked up under my tv but I didn’t get a chance to do anything other than turn it on to make sure it powered up and set the language. I have to take a dog to the groomer this morning then I’ll come back and see if the reviewers are on the nose or if they’re blowing up a non-issue. If it’s as bad as they say, I’ll return it to Best Buy and take the hit on the restocking fee.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Rainbow Six was a real head scratcher.

If Sony was bound and determined to include a second Ubisoft game, I think they'd of been better off including Rayman 2. Not the greatest version of Rayman 2, but it was well reviewed back in the day (Much unlike the PS1 port of Rainbow Six) and is still well liked.

I can see wanting to avoid two games from one franchise for the sake of variety, but it's a very different game from the original Rayman. And even though Jumping Flash is present and is a 3d platformer, the lineup doesn't really have a traditional 3d platformer.

There appears to be some hope on the homebrew side. A way to access the emulator menu has been discovered, opening up settings like scanlines and the ability to switch to NTSC versions for games like Tekken 3.

It's the first step to hopefully a much improved Playstation Classic.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I got to try out a few games this morning. Tekken 3, which was one of my favorite PS1 titles, Grand Theft Auto, and Ridge Racer 4.

The reviewers are correct that the screen is often a mess and text (along with most everything else) is either a blurry, pixelated mess or so full of jaggies that it’s almost distracting. I’ve seen emulation done way better.

I’ll try out a few other games this week before making my final decision, but at this point, I’m 75% sure I’ll be returning it.

I went to Target this morning after dropping my dog off at the groomer, and they had a pile of PS1 Classics. It’s definitely not the seller that the NES and SNES Classics were and still are.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I never owned the original PS, and was hoping some of the more famous games I missed might be on the Classic (they were mostly originally licensed).

I wonder how much better these games would look on a "native" 720p display? Certain types of video irregularities really bother me, aliasing especially drives me crazy. And you tend to get a lot of that on just about any 1080p display with 720p HDMI input. There's probably some excellent 720->1080 converter that some harder-core retro gamers use...the ones that don't have e.g. a 720p plasma or something else 720p-contemporary.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: The one thing that really gets me about this is...I mean..come on, Rainbow Six? Really? Were people clamoring for the PS1 port of Rainbow Six?

Also MR. Driller. An odd choice I think. If Rainbow Six or Mr. Driller were replaced with Tomb raider, the sales probably would have doubled. I am curious to see how many units the PS Classic ends up pushing.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I never owned the original PS, and was hoping some of the more famous games I missed might be on the Classic (they were mostly originally licensed).

I wonder how much better these games would look on a "native" 720p display? Certain types of video irregularities really bother me, aliasing especially drives me crazy. And you tend to get a lot of that on just about any 1080p display with 720p HDMI input. There's probably some excellent 720->1080 converter that some harder-core retro gamers use...the ones that don't have e.g. a 720p plasma or something else 720p-contemporary.
I am using it on a native 720p plasma. I might try bringing a Logitech keyboard home from work next week and seeing if I can change some emulator settings to clean it up a bit before I return it.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ So it sounds like the 720p display didn't help. I can scratch that idea then, thought it might help a lot, seems the video is crappy to start with. I only have one 720p display here, and I'd have to sit on the floor to use it, it's so small. Wonder if a computer display would work better (for whatever reason...), don't know if mine do 720p though (will try with Nintendo Classics as source, never thought of trying this before).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you need to try to find a 720p TV to possibly get the best experience from this...maybe it's not worth it?

You could buy a PS3 and download over half of the PS Classic's games with better resolution, better features, and even improved graphics for probably about $100-150.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ From what Clint says with a 720p plasma and the PS Classic, not worth it. I was considering more generally, like a 720p display for the Nintendo Classics and even the PS3. I actually spent a fair amount of time trying to get a 720p Pioneer plasma in good condition. For general "retro" gaming use, and this was before any of the Nintendo Classics came out. I found the competition around here (shipping is a deal killer) more "intense" and open-walletted than I was. I thought nobody would want these things and they'd be cheap (>10 years old, smallish by current standards, defunct manufacturer...and 720p), but when I first started looking I was completely unaware of "retro gaming".

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If you need to try to find a 720p TV to possibly get the best experience from this...maybe it's not worth it?

You could buy a PS3 and download over half of the PS Classic's games with better resolution, better features, and even improved graphics for probably about $100-150.

Much less than that with a bit of patience. I have about $7 invested on my PSN account for the four original PS1 Tomb Raider games for an example, I think I spent $1.25 on Jumping Flash a month or two ago, etc. PS1 games often are on sale for around $1.25-$1.75.

And most of these PS1 games are on PSN, minus GTA and maybe one or two others from this lineup Edit: 14 of the 20 are on the NA PS store. And many of the big hitters like Silent Hill, Castlevania, Crash, and Spyro that people were upset not being included are also on PSN.

For $50 after tax and watching sales over the span of say a year, I'd say it would be pretty easy to assemble a great 20 game lineup of PS1 classics for your PS3/PSP/Vita/PSTV that puts to shame what Sony has assembled here.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You're right. I was saying $100 to get most of the games, as including the cost of a PS3.

The great thing about the PS1 games is that purchases work across PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. So if you want them portable then you can get a Vita, if you want them on your TV you can get a PS3 or a PS Vita TV.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's not idiot proof, but people are now able to add games to the Playstation Classic.

While piracy discussion isn't allowed in the HTF, this has a legitimate purpose for buyers since the numerous inferior PAL versions of games that were included in this 20 game lineup can now be swapped out for their 60hz NTSC versions.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Note that those PS1 Tomb Raider games can be played on a PS3, PSP, or PS Vita but NOT on a PS4.

However, less than $4 for all of them isn't a bad deal.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
They're addressing the control overlay issue since it's a widespread issue that amazingly apparently got by them during testing. I believe it's a clear plastic overlay, which they ideally want customers to request when aware of its existence before wear requires replacement of the controller panel itself.

As for the buttons and joystick, at least this accepts real arcade parts, so it's an easy and relatively cheap repair. $25 or so online will get it all replaced with real arcade components like Sanwa sticks and buttons. Very easy to do and no soldering is involved.

More concerning to me as a very casual observer to the huge thread at AtariAge about these, is the emulation flaws and the poor track-ball and spinner controls. One can easily and cheaply rectify joystick and button issues, but apparently not so with the non-joystick cabinets.

I'm more interested in this, if I were looking for one.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/28...e-home-arcade-full-size-machine/#entry4135641

In theory it all sounds good at least. We'll see if AtGames can deliver after developing a poor reputation with their range of Sega themed plug and plays. Safe bet is they won't get it right, but I'm crossing my fingers for a pleasant surprise (Although personally I'm not looking to buy one).
My father-in-law bought the Pac-Man and Galaga cabinets and I put them together for him after work yesterday. Freshly built, they’re pretty slick and play well. I’ll recommend the plastic control panel overlay to him and might even go ahead and upgrade the buttons and joysticks while I’m at it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the quality has improved on. The Arcade 1 UP cabinets.
I would really like this in my game room.
IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks