What's new

Real wood veneer (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Regarding real veneer finishes…when investing in some “expensive” speakers with real wood veneers should one pick a finish that will still be suited in 5-10 years? The reason I am asking is because I really like the light maple finish, but I am afraid that it will fade out the next couple years. Mahogany is just too dark and cherry kind of looks “country-ish”. What is your guys opinion on maple finish?

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Honestly, look at old speakers. What still looks hot, what does not? For the most part, wood does not go out of style. The only SAFE bet is black.

It really gets down to preference. I prefer all my speakers to be black (non-wood colors) - but some of the Paradigm's and Dynaudio's in maple are just STUNNING - but don't fit my decor.

Just get the most popular finish and you should be safe.

My Klipsch Chorus II's came in oak, and I really don't like that (they are real wood, and the color makes that 'sleepers' so nobody will suspect them :D ) - but I also paid $100 for that pair!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I would say get what goes with your decor now or planned decor in the near future. You can worry yourself to death about stuff like this but the next big thing could be totally different 10 years from now. Just thing though if you didn't want them to be seen 10 years from now maybe you'll have your own room for an HT and it won't matter as it will be so dark. Good luck.

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
I asked a similar question about a month ago. I was sitting on the fence as to whether I should switch from the black to the cherry finish. I was trading-up and it kept nagging me in the back of my mind that I liked the cherry finish.
I received some favorable responses, and traded in my black Klipsch floor standers, for some bigger/badder cherry finish floor standers (I had to trade-in my center as well).
I'm glad I did because the finish looks beautiful, more like a fine piece of furniture. Now don't get me wrong, I think the black looked great as well, but for our room the cherry really added a warm/rich feel. I think you need to go with your gut instinct - if you like the maple - go for it and don't think twice about it. I think they look great. As others have said, go with what fits your decor, and what you like. You won't be sorry.;)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Hey brian,

I didnt mean country...I just don't think it stands out like maple. Maybe i'm wrong. But thanks guys for the opinions. I appreciate it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Arthur,

I like them both. I do have maple speakers in my living room and figured cherry speakers in my bedroom. It's just that I prefer figured cherry and my next speakers for my living room will be figured cherry.

I say buy whatever finish you prefer. I bet within 5-10 years you'll be ready to upgrade to something different.:)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry aboput any wood veneer finishes going out of style. They've been popular for about 10,000 years now.

The trick is to make all of your wood-finished furnishings the same colour. Maple, light oak and the "brighter" veneers are more common, but darker ones can look just as good (But you have to search a little longer for matching equipment racks).

ArthurJ

Second Unit
well it has come down to maple or cherry...both are equivilant in cost. I beleive cherry is a little more neatral when it comes to aesthetics, but the maple looks hot, and I prefer it.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Had gloss black NHT towers before and they were good speakers but always dusty. Didn't matter you could come back the next day and if the light hit them just right they were dusty. My wife said never again. If I were going black as that is a safe color for just about any occasion, it would have to be a flat black like SVS uses. Doesn't show the dust. But I love my Oakies and will be keeping them for a long time to come. The only thing I have to wipe once in a while is the top cap and the risers. By the way visit av123.com sometime and look around. Lots of good folks there as well and very open minds. Great stuff.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Yes they were a one time thing but my point is I still prefer the real wood look!!! Had they had the darker wood when I started this I probably would have just done that but they didn't at the time and Mark was gracious enough to do this for me.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mark has indicated that he intends to do limited runs of different finishes from time to time. There was a poll on their website awhile back. I believe cherry came out on top but I personally really liked the pearwood. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he already has something in the works that he hasn't announced yet. I can't believe how many irons he can keep in the fire at one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks