What's new

Question To Owners of 36" Sony Wega(KV-36FS17) (1 Viewer)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I had a question for the owners of the 36" Sony Wega television. I noticed that around the edge of the tv there is a black frame about a quarter inch in from the outside of the picture. I noticed this mainly when I was playing soul calibur the other day and part of the picture at the bottom is cut off. It's not squezzed in it's cut off. I was wondering if this black frame is supposed to be there for a reason or if it can be removed in the service menu or something along those lines. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Sounds like over-scan, slight over-scan is normal, so is the black border around the edge of many CRT displays. Someone with the knowledge will likely chime in and let you know how to reduce it (the over-scan - not the black border) if you are comfortable mucking about in the service menu.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Yea I have been scrolling through the service menu trying to figure it out. So far no luck but I have managed to reset my color setting 6 times.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Yea I haven't done to many things but I always reset everything at the end, just in case I messed up something. This just takes away my channel programs so its no big deal, better then accidently screwing up something then saving. Thanks for the tip though.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
It's not overscan it's perfectly normal. It looks like windowbox which has borders on all four sides of the screen. However, it is slight compared to real windowbox. I Have a Sony 36XBR400 I also have it on my 27" JVC which is not a flat screen. So don't worry you'll forget that it's there over time.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Reginald, respectfully I understand that the border is normal on his TV. But he said;

I was playing soul calibur the other day and part of the picture at the bottom is cut off.
That is likely the result of over-scan. All CRT TVs have slight over-scan, this is basically to ensure that the entire screen area is taken up by picture. Most times it is not a problem and goes unnoticed. But the amount of over-scan can vary widely from TV to TV and is often noticed by those who play video games. This is usually because there is often info placed at the edges of the picture that is referred to often (points, remaining life etc.). Imagine if the screen on your computer was "zoomed in slightly, you would notice because your Task-bar would be off screen. For most of us, we wouldn't notice if we were missing a bit of picture around one or all the edges on our TV.

Brett, if the problem with the picture being chopped off sounds like over-scan to you, and you don't get any help after a while in this thread, I would let this thread die & try posting one specifically asking for service menu help in the thread title. There are some here with a wealth of information about service menu settings. Unfortunately I am not one of them. :b

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Well, thinking about it some more. It may not even need the over-scan reduced, maybe just tweak the vertical position a bit if its possible in the service menu. Don't know, kind of hard to say without seeing it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks