What's new

Question re: sound insulation (1 Viewer)

Dave Do

Auditioning
Real Name
David Dodds
I am helping my neighbor plan a new home theater - the catch is, we live in a townhome with a common wall. We are discussing the best way to control the noise I hear in my home when he plays his Surround Sound movies. He says that I should build a sound wall on my side of the common wall (which affects my master bedroom and living room). I think he needs to stop the noise at the point of transmission (on his side) by adding a mass-loaded vinyl barrier, thereby reducing the sound that is passing through the wall structure before it hits the wall. Any thoughts or experience? Thanks.

mylan

Screenwriter
Well,it is HIS HT, so I think it should be HIS problem! I used a half inch thick Owens Corning sound deadening panel between the drywall and studs in my greatroom so that tv sound would not penetrate into the master bedroom and it works wonderfully though I don't know how it would work at stopping bass freqs. This board looks like a fuzzy, grey colored drywall so he might be able to paint it and make it look like his existing wall.

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
HAve him build a sound wall on his side. Make it a double wall and it will be just as effective as the lead-vinyl. So just a 2x4 wall with at least a half inch gap from the original wall.

I would use rockwool insulation. Much ehavier than the pink or yellow stuff and a better sound insulation.

I did this in my HT and have had good results. (doors would help, but even without them it does and amazing job).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks