What's new

Need Advice re: Soundproofing Basement HT (1 Viewer)

MikeGlue

Auditioning
I've been doing loads of research into how to soundproof my eventual basement HT.

HT is in the basement and will be rectanglar. At this point I have not got the size 100% defined, but it shouldn't matter at the moment. The HT will be in one corner of the basement so 2 of the walls will be exterior walls and the other 2 will be freshly constructed interior partitions.

I plan on the following soundproofing approach:

1. fill ceiling and walls with Roxul Safe N'Sound insulation
2. use sound isolation clips with resilient channel on both walls and ceiling
3. 5/8" drywall on resilient channel (will use 5/8" on opposite side of interior partitions as well)
4. acoustic caulk where required

My question is given that 2 of the walls are exterior walls, do I have to put the same effort (i.e. isolation clips and resilient channel) into them, or will the cement wall act enough as a sound dampener? I'm concerned about the sound going upstairs of course.

Appreciate any input!! Any comments about my plan would be great as well!! Maybe I don't have the best approach in mind!?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the channels over the concrete. You don't get much more vibration resistant than concrete.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
Dave is right, the only thing that is more sound deadening than concrete is more concrete

SCOTTATL, whats going on buddy, hows your theater comin? how is daddy duty treatin yah? :D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Actually Mike, the place you’re losing momentum is the interior walls.

There are three keys to effective soundproofing:
  • Dense partitions, best accomplished in the home by doubling 5/8” sheetrock, the use of solid-core exterior doors, etc.
  • Dead air space between walls (or ceiling/upstairs floor) that are physically separated or de-coupled.
  • An airtight room.
The further you move from these elements, the less you can expect in the way of effectively minimizing sound transference.

You have it in the “double sheetrock on both sides department,” but you’d have much better success with two free-standing walls complete with a heavy solid-core door for each than insulation inside a single wall. Similarly with the ceiling, if isolation from the upper floors is an issue.

You must also make special A/C ventilation considerations with an airtight room – a separate return vent will be required.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator

Travis, its coming along good. I finished all of the framing in the media room and I'm 90% done in the game room. I'll take some pictures tonight of what its looking like so far.

So far, no new baby, the wife is a few days late, but that just gave me more time to work downstairs. I'm going to get the game room finished before the week's end, and try to get the office and bar framed this weekend. I want to get all of the framing finished out so I can get an electrician in to do the wiring. I need to put in another panel and I figured I'll take the safe way out and have someone in who knows what they are doing on that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks