What's new

Question About "My Three Sons" (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree. As I mentioned in a previous post , I've already ordered these. I'd love to have factory pressed DVDs , with the original music cues , but I LIKE this show quite a bit , so I'll take what they release , which is much better than nothing at all.

There is always a chance.

Becker seasons 4-6, IIRC, were originally released burned MOD. Then, CBS pressed those seasons traditionally and released the entire series at a wide retail level.

So it's a possibility that one day, they'll take the S1 and 2 stock, combine it with new pressed copies of S3 and maybe 4 and 5, and release it cheaply to Wal-Mart or something.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but it has happened once before.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Becker seasons 4-6, IIRC, were originally released burned MOD. Then, CBS pressed those seasons traditionally and released the entire series at a wide retail level.

So it's a possibility that one day, they'll take the S1 and 2 stock, combine it with new pressed copies of S3 and maybe 4 and 5, and release it cheaply to Wal-Mart or something.

You are correct about Becker. I wouldn't purchase those seasons due to them being MOD. It worked out better as when that complete series on pressed was announced I was able to sell one of those early pressed seasons for half the price of that complete series set and the other 2 brought in the rest giving me a free upgrade.

FWIW, I only like the Bub years of MTS. If the price ever comes down a bit (yeah... right...) I might consider any MOD seasons. In spite of really liking the series I just can't bring myself to pay ~$70 for one season. I'd balk at that for pressed. On MOD it's a no-brainer no way purchase.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is season 3 remastered?

I'm personally okay with the old transfers as long as they're unedited. They looked good on TV Land back when they marathoned much of it 20 years ago and while we've been spoiled by things like the remastering job done to the early seasons of Petticoat Junction and stuff like The Twilight Zone and The Dick Van Dyke Show, I still find releases like Dennis the Menace very watchable that relied upon decent looking pre-DVD era videotape transfers.

That all said, I'd love to see them looking pristine. And I'll be very disappointed if somehow we make it to the color seasons and those aren't remastered. While the black & white transfers were good looking to my eyes, the color seasons from My Three Sons I suspect were transferred to tape many years earlier and they're in real need of a refresh today. On a scale of 1-5, quite a few of the color episodes would only rate a mere 2 for video quality in my book. Not awful looking at their very worst, but not much above it.

Hopefully the commercial viability via syndication of the color seasons will make CBS finally undertake striking modern transfers one of these days, DVD's or no DVD's. Otherwise it's going to be an even tougher sell in the years ahead for things like this and Petticoat Junction to get them on channels like Me-TV in today's big screen HD age.

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Great news about Season 3!

Whether pressed or not pressed, I don't care, as I'm just glad to finally see some movement on a series I thought had permanently stalled. I'm placing my order this week.

I hope they ultimately release all remaining seasons. And then they can circle back around with corrected Seasons 1 & 2 sets with the original music included. (Yeah, like that'll happen...)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

That would be nice! I hope it happens .

Tom.W

Second Unit
My contact at CBS has advised that the music in season three is unchanged. Based on that I’m ordering it.

I received Season 3 Vol. 1 today and spot checked the first disc. The original music does seem to unaltered and intact, although the box label says the music has been changed. It is not remastered. Two of the episodes on the first disc are cut, running times 22:27. So some episodes are probably the syndicated versions. The other episodes on the first disc are unedited.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I received Season 3 Vol. 1 today and spot checked the first disc. The original music does seem to unaltered and intact, although the box label says the music has been changed. It is not remastered. Two of the episodes on the first disc are cut, running times 22:27. So some episodes are probably the syndicated versions. The other episodes on the first disc are unedited.
He only said the music was unchanged which is true. They put that “music has been changed” disclaimer on just about every release whether they need it or not.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Got mine on Thurs and have watched a few episodes and checked running times on both volumes. Here is the review I am posting on Amazon, as well as some pics. Hope this helps:

**THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON 3 AS I PURCHASED BOTH VOLUMES TOGETHER**

It’s been nearly a decade since CBS released the second season of MY THREE SONS on DVD and those earlier releases drew the wrath of fans, many of whom boycotted, because the background score had been updated/replaced with a modern synthesizer score.

Season 3 finally makes its way to us, but there are issues. First, this is a MOD release so the discs are not pressed. They are the purple DVD-Rs but the good thing is they have a nice logo on them and each disc lists the episodes [SEE PICS]. Someone else on another forum remarked that the cover art was rather low-resolution but I don’t notice a difference from the earlier seasons. The rear cover features the same pics on both volumes—a great cast portrait on the staircase [SEE PICS]. Unfortunately, there is no insert with original airdates, etc.

The really bad news is that between both volumes, there are 5 edited episodes. The rest all run around 25:40 give or take a few seconds but the following episodes are cut:

ROBBIE’S EMPLOYMENT SERVICE 22:27
DAUGHTER FOR A DAY 22:27
CHIP’S LAST FIGHT 22:27
THE BEAUTY CONTEST 22:43
WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE 22:32

Video quality has not been upgraded/remastered like it was on Seasons 1 and 2 so the show is going to look the same as when you saw it on TV Land about 20 years ago or currently on ME-TV. The closing logo (for those who will ask) is the modern CBS Television logo and the opening credits do not feature any original sponsor info, etc. They are the same chopped up ones that have been running for years. The good news is that the original background music DOES remain intact here.

This is a step up from a homemade set, yet at $70 for the season it’s pretty steep. Die-hard fans will want it, but casual fans can probably live without it.

cap2.png
cap3.png
cap4.png
cap6.png

IMG_2333.JPG
IMG_2336.JPG

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yeah, it's #4 that kills it for me.

The first three I could live with, but 70 bucks for 6 burned discs? Even the old, pre-pressed days of the Archives weren't that much per set.

That, and the second disc being on top of the third one in each volume.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
While I find the pricing and lack of remastering unfortunate, I will still buy season 3 at some point later this Summer.

I grew up watching the color seasons and actually did not realize there were b/w seasons until much later (they did not air in syndication by me when growing up). I must say i thought the start was a bit odd with the older brother getting married and leaving the show in what i perceived as the first episode. It was only when I starting collecting TV on DVD that I came to realize there were all these b/w seasons I had never seen.

When season 1 and 2 came out on DVD, i picked them up right away. Then i started hearing about the music issues and they sat on the shelf. Finally, a few years later i pulled them down and we watched them as a family. To my surprise, we enjoyed them just fine. I guess for some, music changes can be less (or not all) obtrusive when you had never heard the original music for comparison.

I was then quite disappointed that no other seasons were released since I would have had no issue in buying them, even with substituted music. I tried the alternate set root, but the video quality was so poor, we stalled after the first color season.

While this will come off as heresy to many, I'd have preferred the remastering and music substitution over what it appears we are getting in old worn prints with original music. Unfortunately, this appears to be a last straw attempt with CBS. They obviously think the market is weak for this show and are taking no chances on getting some return on investment for preparing the show for a DVD release. I highly doubt we will see much in the way of discounts since there is no supply that needs to be cleared out. I can see maybe the total price for the season going down from $70 to maybe $50, based on Amazon starting high, but it may not go down at all as many MOD titles are rarely discounted.

Thus, I foresee a similar result of fans boycotting the release based on the combination of MOD, price, lack of remastering, etc. Except this time I see CBS shelving it for good, at least as far as physical media goes. I would like all of the b/w seasons, but have little faith of getting anything beyond season 3. As a glass half-full type of person, i will take what i can get and support this release, and hope for more.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
While I find the pricing and lack of remastering unfortunate, I will still buy season 3 at some point later this Summer.

I grew up watching the color seasons and actually did not realize there were b/w seasons until much later (they did not air in syndication by me when growing up). I must say i thought the start was a bit odd with the older brother getting married and leaving the show in what i perceived as the first episode. It was only when I starting collecting TV on DVD that I came to realize there were all these b/w seasons I had never seen.

When season 1 and 2 came out on DVD, i picked them up right away. Then i started hearing about the music issues and they sat on the shelf. Finally, a few years later i pulled them down and we watched them as a family. To my surprise, we enjoyed them just fine. I guess for some, music changes can be less (or not all) obtrusive when you had never heard the original music for comparison.

I was then quite disappointed that no other seasons were released since I would have had no issue in buying them, even with substituted music. I tried the alternate set root, but the video quality was so poor, we stalled after the first color season.

While this will come off as heresy to many, I'd have preferred the remastering and music substitution over what it appears we are getting in old worn prints with original music. Unfortunately, this appears to be a last straw attempt with CBS. They obviously think the market is weak for this show and are taking no chances on getting some return on investment for preparing the show for a DVD release. I highly doubt we will see much in the way of discounts since there is no supply that needs to be cleared out. I can see maybe the total price for the season going down from $70 to maybe $50, based on Amazon starting high, but it may not go down at all as many MOD titles are rarely discounted.

Thus, I foresee a similar result of fans boycotting the release based on the combination of MOD, price, lack of remastering, etc. Except this time I see CBS shelving it for good, at least as far as physical media goes. I would like all of the b/w seasons, but have little faith of getting anything beyond season 3. As a glass half-full type of person, i will take what i can get and support this release, and hope for more.
Just to point out that these are not old worn prints. They are clean without splices or scratches but they haven’t been newly mastered. Except for the few episodes that are shortened I think most fans of the show will find these enjoyable —I have so far.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just to point out that these are not old worn prints. They are clean without splices or scratches but they haven’t been newly mastered. Except for the few episodes that are shortened I think most fans of the show will find these enjoyable —I have so far.

That's good to know. I believe someone mentioned something about prints that played on TV land like 20 years ago. What i have as alternates game from TV land captures and they look pretty rough as well as heavily compressed. I'm hoping for something decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks