1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question About "My Three Sons"

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by TheLogoGuy94, May 21, 2017.

1. Sky King

Sky King Second Unit

John
    I know cable TV stations must continue to evolve to stay current and fresh, but the newer shows that TV Land airs for example, are just plain idiotic. Nobodies, Younger, Teachers, Lopez...all unwatchable and not entertaining in the least. What were they thinking ??
    Impaster started off fresh, but soon became a parody of itself.
    Although I love Everybody Loves Raymond, the same shows are repeated frequently and often within a few weeks of each other. Didn't someone tell TV Land execs there are 9 seasons of this show to choose episodes from ? TV Land has gotten stale IMHO.
    On the other hand, MeTV is innovative with what they have, especially with their very creative commercials. There seems to be more effort on their part to stay fresh with their older TV library.
    I could say so much more about cable TV stations gone awry, but will now step down off my soapbox.

2. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I think the fact that TVLand's ratings disappoint, their attempts at original programming have mostly failed,
    and I think their movie foray was short lived all rather prove that their attempt to re-imagine a successful niche network have only hurt it.

Yet the scraps from the old days still stick around despite feeling so out of place amongst so much trash, since something like Bonanza is timeless.

Even when you do, it's the same old episode. Most of the series never gets reaired. I only ever saw the St. Lawrence Seaway episode the night it premiered in the late 90's for instance, and still kick myself for not recording it since it actually was good.

But if I want to see the history of soda pop or something, they'll play that Modern Marvels episode to death.

3. Message #23 of 137 May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    If you have Xfinity, there are a good chunk of Modern Marvels episodes on demand. Not the one you mentioned, though. However, I did just watch the history of the polio vaccine the other day, so they do have some interesting old episodes available.

You know, at one point, I thought on demand was going to be the way things went in the future instead of streaming. And every now and then, I see glimmers of how it could have been, like the complete runs of mostly or totally unreleased shows like Diff'rent Strokes or Amen available, or the missing In The Heat Of The Night episodes that music rights kept from DVD intact and uncut, or the huge chunk of Modern Marvels available... but overall, On Demand failed to live up to the promise. And it's a shame, because it's better than Netflix or Amazon, who also now fail to live up to the hype since the companies got wise and decided they each own need their own dedicated service to charge you extra for.

And honestly, a series like My Three Sons would probably be served best by being available in an on demand setting.

4. Message #24 of 137 May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Perhaps given the large number of episodes, which I suspect is what you're getting at. But My Three Sons has one thing going for it if a publisher did want to take it on with today's complete series style DVD releases, that could help compensate for that factor.

The switch from CBS to ABC when the program went color presents a perfect cut-off point and excuse to package in two separate sets what on the surface is a daunting 12 season program requiring a large number of discs.

The result is two much more manageable releases with disc counts we're routinely seeing in budget rereleases from CBS and such, and two potential sales from fans instead of one. In fact the seven season run in color as I recall only has a dozen more episodes than the five earlier b&w seasons.

So almost a perfect 50/50 split.

Tony Bensley and Steve...O like this.
  5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Great post, Leo. The failure of M3S on DVD due to the Heyes debacle is one of my regrets about the hobby. I would have been in for all 12 seasons if done right. If CBS/P were to remaster all seasons and not replace music, Leo's idea of a B&W collection followed by a color package would be ideal.

6. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    Reading thru this thread makes me appreciate all the more that I cut the cable years ago and only watch stuff from my DVD and Blu-ray collection.

Jack K and Albert71292 like this.
  7. Message #27 of 137 May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

It appears that Me-TV is showing the DVD versions with the music subs (and edited for commercials). I'm not an expert on "My Three Sons" but I do own the first season DVD sets with the music substitutions. I recorded the 2 episodes from Me-TV today, in the hopes that these would be the versions with the original music. I compared the second episode on Me-TV to the second episode on my DVD set. The first episode on the DVD didn't have music subs because it was the pilot and had a different composer so they cleared that episode. It was episode #2 and on that had music subs) This is what I know. The second episode as shown on Me-TV is edited. It is missing the opening scene of the boys fighting and chasing each other around the kitchen and bub chasing them out of the house with the neighbor looking. It starts with Chip walking up to the neighbor and asking her for rags. Also, the music cue heard as Chip as walking down the sidewalk is the same music heard on the DVD. So it appears that Me-TV is showing the DVD versions with the music subs (and edited for commercials)

I found this thread to be helpful in my research: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/my-three-sons-season-1-vol-1.265734/page-7
    upload_2017-5-29_12-44-48.

8. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Thanks, Ron. I recorded this morning's episodes as well but so far have only watched the first one. Because of reading about the music edits/substitutions, I never purchased the DVDs and didn't know that the first episode did not have substitutions. Not hearing anything from today's first show that sounded out of place, I got my hopes up that ME-TV's versions wouldn't have the same issues as the DVDs, but now I know that they do.

Minus the commercials, that first episode today came out to 23 minutes. Obviously edited but not as bad as one might get if aired elsewhere, like Hallmark, where it might end up in the 20 to 22 minute range. Not that it really matters now since we know the music matches the disastrous DVDs.

9. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I wish they'd go off the 30/60 minute standard and just stop the editing completely.

I'd give up an hour of programming a day if the rest of what they aired in-between commercial breaks was spread out and allowed to run unedited. The irregular schedule always worked for TCM in the past and is only easier to follow these days in the era of DVR's and digital channel guides.

Gary16 likes this.
  10. Likecats

Likecats Stunt Coordinator

William
    Do they show the cars on the end credits of the pilot?

11. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    The US still holds Fast to half hours and hours. Even PBS still hacks up British dramas to fit them into a set one hour time slot, and PBS doesn't even have commercials!

And as you said, in the DVR era with channel guides, it's all a bit pointless.

12. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Yes

13. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    My family and I are watching the DVDs right now, and are enjoying the show very much. While I knew of the music replacements I rarely had a chance to watch the B/W episodes growing up so I have no knowledge of how it originally sounded. All I can say is that half way through season one we haven't found the replaced music to be a hindrance in any way. While it may not be adding anything extra that may have been part of the original music it hasn't taken anything away from the great story telling either. As Paul Mavis stated in his original review, it isn't the preferred release we all would have liked, but it is a shame to miss out on a great series if you can get pass the replaced music. There are those with phenomenal recall on what they original heard or are just so familiar with the original broadcast format that they can't get passed the changes. There are also those that just can't support something that isn't complete. However, for those that either never saw it originally or lack that kind of recall, it may still be worth a try because there is plenty still there to enjoy. After 7 years it doesn't look like CBS is going to revive/fix this series like The Fugitive, so if this is the best we will get then I would still support more releases of the same. I guess I fall in the category of preferring something over nothing.

Dave Lawrence likes this.
  14. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I also purchased the first two seasons -- and I knew about the music replacements.

The thing is -- unlike "The Fugitive" -- I had never viewed these seasons of "My Three Sons"; so the replaced music didn’t bother me as much.

In general, I have found these seasons to be more enjoyable and funnier than the color seasons which I viewed in syndication.

In the case of "The Fugitive" I was so familiar with the music -- which to me was part of the show -- that I initially only purchased Seasons 1 and 4 (which were released from day one with the original music intact). Funny the way that works ..

15. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Good points. I've previously seen some, but not all, of the Season 1 episodes. So however jarring the substitutions would probably be, I don't have originals to compare them to. And it's clear that after all this time if corrected versions haven't been released (as happened with The Fugitive), they likely never will.

So since the same versions are now on TV (only worse since they have substitutions plus edits for more commercials), I'm going to go ahead and just purchase the 2 DVD volumes that comprise Season 1 the next time I place an Amazon order. At least the price for each is lower than it would have been if I'd bought them originally 8 years ago. I do have Season 2 episodes recorded from years ago, so at least I won't need to buy those volumes.

What I have seen of Season 1 in the past, I really enjoyed. I like the whole series, but Season 1 seems to have a uniqueness to it. So despite the substitutions, I look forward to seeing many of that season's episodes for the first time.

16. mattfire64

mattfire64 Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    I had a bad feeling that the first two seasons were going to be from the butchered DVD releases. Considering that episodes of "The Fugitive" aired on the same channel with the DVD music substitutions, I can't say that I'm all that surprised. I will be interested to see what prints they use once they get around to airing Season 3 and beyond since those episodes haven't been seen in a long time.

17. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I have no issues with my MTS black and white episodes recorded from Nick at Nite. They are all complete and uncut with the original music. Sometimes off-air recordings are still the best. A lot of what we taped in the 70s, 80s and 90s became superfluous with the advent of DVD but then a lot of it still is the best way to possess the material.

Jack K likes this.
  18. TheLogoGuy94

TheLogoGuy94 Stunt Coordinator

Joshua
    That's the beauty of 16mm prints, a majority of hem are usually uncut and unedited. That's why I've always hoped Me-TV would acquire prints sourced from 16mm prints, especially in the case of Seasons 3-5 and 11-12 of MTS. I'm eager to see what the quality of those prints will be like when Me-TV airs them. I hope they forego airing Season 6-10, because they've been in syndication for so many years.

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I accidently turned on the TV one morning and saw MTS on MeTV. It was the DVD version with the creepy Hayes music. I think I mentioned in a Fugitive or MTS thread that we would never hear the original scores again on a network airing. CBS took the great music from those shows and threw it away.

20. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I couldn't agree more. I still kick myself for erasing my tapes of The Beverly Hillbillies from the 80's for Are You Being Served? I assumed they would show them forever in that form; heck, I never even knew editing existed on the show until the late 80's when a station north of us picked it up. Good ole WREG just kept showing those worn 16mm prints. All of a sudden parts of S7 I never saw on there showed up along with S8 and S9, but butchered. When they went for another go-around, it was edited for syndication tape masters. I have ONE off-air recording left, The Hot Rod Truck. The rest are either the first 4 seasons they released to DVD or the Columbia House tapes. Apparently some different episodes got released in PAL format, but when I contacted the seller, he said it was in black and white, but it was an episode that aired in color. Another guy online showed to have some 16mm prints for sale, but when I contacted him, he wasn't sure that he had them or even if they were playable. Sigh...I guess we either pray for a CBS miracle or I'm stuck watching butchered episodes the rest of my life.