1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question About "My Three Sons"

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by TheLogoGuy94, May 21, 2017.

1. TheLogoGuy94

TheLogoGuy94 Stunt Coordinator

Joshua
    That's why I'm actually hoping MeTV has the same prints of seasons 3-5 that Nick @ Nite had in the '80s, at least those have the original music and are edited less than the current prints.

2. TheLogoGuy94

Joshua
    The first 7 episodes of Season 11 are currently airing on Decades. CBS HAS touched these, as the CBS Television Distribution was at the end of the 2 episodes I've seen, but they're still unrestored.

3. Message #43 of 137 Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    MeTV got to season 3 a day or so ago. They're the old transfers with intact audio.

Still good looking, but not of the picture quality we've often been spoiled with in the DVD era. It's along the lines of shows like The Donna Reed Show and Dennis the Menace on DVD (i.e., how even the most popular of b&w classics looked in syndication just a few short years ago before DVD and HD televisions and the march of technology gave rise to some spectacular remastering efforts).

Much preferable to butchered audio though. Occasionally the remastered transfers don't sound too bad and sometimes you're even surprised with a few bits of original music in seasons 1/2. But more often than not, the Heyes sound only causes harm even for those that aren't purists that would be against music replacement on principle.

phenri, Gary16 and Flashgear like this.
  4. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    I'm watching the MeTV episodes as well, and I'm really enjoying them. I've never seen a b/w episode of this show until recently. I think they are more entertaining than the color episodes that I'm used to seeing.

I would love for these seasons to get some kind of DVD treatment. I would settle for the unremastered prints I'm seeing on MeTV as long as they are uncut with the original music intact.

5. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    For the record, I kept all my old VHS tapes of all the Nick at Nite stuff I taped from about 89-93. Something told me not to tape over them despite the stuff coming out on DVDs and I'm glad I didn't. No compressed credits, good, mostly complete prints.
    CBS should be ashamed at how they handled MTS. It's a classic and deserved better than replaced garbage and stall.
    And while I'm at it finish Hillbillies, you "25 year old just got out of college and don't know classic TV worth a damn" snowflakes.
    There was TV before Seinfeld and Friends believe it or not!

Mark Y, TheLogoGuy94, phenri and 2 others like this.
  6. Sky King

Sky King Second Unit

John
    Frank,

Wow...couldn't agree more. This statement could apply to so many classic TV shows gathering dust on the shelves.
    I've always felt like you, the reason for the lack of classic shows on DVD, is the lack of intelligence on the part of those in charge of DVD releases. Just look at what the current crop of DVD releases consist of...recent and trendy crap that's easily released to DVD only because any restorative issues are minimal.
    As some on this board know, I've been waiting since the dawn of DVDs for a release of Ben Casey and it infuriates me to see the DVD crap jumping to the head of the line.

John

phenri and Flashgear like this.
  7. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Yeah John, that's a travesty with Ben Casey too considering the garbage that's been released instead.
    I'd love to get an entire run.

Sky King and Flashgear like this.
  8. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Truthfully to be fair, outside of the MTS debacle and not finishing Hillbillies, CBS did great by me. They released a lot of classic shows and much of the other stuff they didn't want to release,'they licensed tom VEI and I got them anyway.
    Other than WA and Shout/Timeless, and VEI, CBS was the only other distributor that showed any kind of commitment to releasing classic shows. No, their record isn't spotless but they did a whole hell of a lot better than those idiots at Fox, Sony, and Universal, particularly Fox who probably own about 50 percent or more of the classic shows still unreleased.

Gary16, phenri and Flashgear like this.
  9. TheLogoGuy94

Joshua
    I would love to have had VHS recordings of MTS from Nick @ Nite, but sadly I don’t. I’ve only seen the B&W episodes when TV Land aired them and more recently, the Me-TV airings. I’ve never seen them nearly complete and uncut. The only VHS recordings I have is 1 episode from I recorded in 2012 and a few episodes from a Decades Binge a month ago or so.

10. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I agree with your post Frank. But I just wanted to add that have also not finished Petticoat Junction, Bonanza and Gunsmoke so overall I am happy with CBS especially compared to many studios as you said. But for me they still have 5 series unfinished. Gunsmoke and Beverly Hillbillies are the only 2 I still have any hope of them completing but that fades every year especially with 8 seasons of Gunsmoke left.

11. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Did season 2 of The Beverly Hillbillies get a bit of the Heyes treatment here and there? The episode on MeTV a day or two ago sounded awfully strange with the opening background music after the episode introduction, for an example.

I don't know this series like the back of my hand like I do with Green Acres and Petticoat Junction, so it's probably nothing since I don't remember any outcry about it around here when this season hit DVD.

12. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The biggest blight on CBS is for me always going to be "The Odd Couple" and the music editing on Seasons 3-4-5.

13. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    The DVD's never seemed to be "off" as far as I can tell. Season 4 is a train wreck, however. Some of the episodes are chocked full of replacement music, and I find that odd considering that S3 has pretty much the same incidental music as S4. "Pretty Woman" is missing in Hoe Down A Go-Go replaced by some bad generic stuff. The music is louder than the original and Jethro talking during that sequence is louder than normal and sounds unnatural. What I find funny, though, is during the episode with Mr. Farqhar, the song "Frankie and Johnny" plays in the background. So you can't clear some incidental music but you include a popular tune? Me thinks CBS is clueless!

Dave B Ferris likes this.
  14. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    That's what I thought I remembered from past threads here. What I heard must be original then.

15. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Flashgear and classictvfan40 like this.
  16. Message #56 of 137 May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

You won't find any guinea pigs I'm afraid.

$70 for six burned discs--Looks like the classic TV on DVD from CBS ship has sunk, and they are desperately trying to stay afloat by clinging on to a life preserver in frigid water.

In the end I would love to see the sales figures for this (both volumes). I would eat my hat if it is over 100 copies.

classictvfan40 likes this.
  17. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Exactly. Not perfect but miles ahead of any of the other major studios in terms of getting their important shows released, one way or another.

18. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Not an issue with my as I'm happy with my uncut first five seasons from Nick but I do think that for a BOD, they would not go through the trouble and expense of music replacement.

19. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I can't swing it just yet, but I'll bite in a few months (While hoping to see a sale or discount). Seeing My Three Sons continue is just about at the top of my tv on DVD wish list, especially if these are intact.

Jeff Flugel and classictvfan40 like this.
  20. Kasey

Kasey Supporting Actor

Kasey
    I bought them both and will post info once they arrive.