1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question About "My Three Sons"

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by TheLogoGuy94, May 21, 2017.

1. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    I've preordered volume 1, hoping that music replacement will not be a problem. I never purchased the first two seasons due to the music debacle

Flashgear likes this.
  2. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    And this show has a hell of a long run in front of it DVD-wise before this thing gets finished, if it ever does.

3. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Supporting Actor

Matthew
    Honestly, I think unless seasons 1 and 2 have the music restored and reissued, the chances of this really gaining momentum again are remote.

4. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I'll be ordering both of these , and I hope we get future volumes , at least all of the Frawley seasons . I wasn't happy with the music changes on season 1 and 2 , but I like the show , and I'd rather be able to enjoy it even with altered music than to not have it at all.

5. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    Yes, it would be nice to get the Bub years complete at least. Season 5 is my fave of the B&W era and my homemade set unfortunately has the poorest quality on many of those particular episodes.

This from an Amazon review I wrote awhile back:
    It’s disappointing that CBS/Paramount really bungled the DVD releases of MY THREE SONS. Not only were buyers turned off by the split-season releases (which were unnecessary since both PETTICOAT JUNCTION and THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES were released in full seasons by CBS) but by the replacement score on most of the episodes. No wonder sales were low and future volumes abandoned.

I bought all four volumes that comprised Seasons 1 and 2 but to be honest, those aren’t my favorite seasons of the show. Some of the earlier episodes were a slog to get through. Not so with Season 5. This season has the best of both worlds since we get Bub (William O’Frawley) in the first half; and when he departs for Ireland exactly half-way in, William Demerest makes his debut as Uncle Charley (whom I always preferred). And Mike is still there (along with Meredith MacRae as his lovely fiancé Sally) yet we get a healthy dose of Ernie too even though he’s not yet a full-fledged member of the household.

By 1964, MY THREE SONS was well into the Swinging ‘60s and the plot lines reflected that. This is my favorite of the black-and-white seasons. No more of Mike’s boring Air Force shenanigans this year, etc. Loved seeing all the kids doing the Watusi at the malt shop and Robbie and his girlfriend performing the “crazy new dance” The Frog and the whole family dressed up as beatniks in the terrific episode called THE COFFEE HOUSE SET. Best episode of the season GOODBYE AGAIN was co-written by Tim Considine and not only does it provide some wonderful Douglas nostalgia in the return of Cynthia Pepper as Mike’s old flame Jean Pearson, it has Ernie going “undercover” as Secret Agent 007 spying on Mike and Jean in a nod to the 1960s Spy craze and breaking the fourth wall in a delightful caper.

Gloria Swanson guest stars as an old vaudeville pal of Charley’s and William Demarest really brings some humanity to his role in several of these entries.

Unless VEI gets the rights and puts out a big box set, I doubt we will ever see official releases of the rest of MY THREE SONS, and that’s a real shame.

timk1041, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  6. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

I agree. After holding out for years over dissatisfaction with the music replacement in the dvds, I finally bought the first two season releases. I was also unhappy with the timesped episodes currently running on MeTV. They are using old cut versions and sound muddled. I found the dvds worthwhile for the remastering and uncut quality. For me, the music replacement is not overwhelming as a distraction. I did get some of the Frawley episodes when they ran on Nick at Nite uncut.

The chances of further releases without music replacement does seem remote but since CBS did release the first two seasons, maybe it's not an impossibiiity.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    I'll be getting these at some point (hopefully the prices will come down).

This series was mostly before my time. I do recall seeing some of the later seasons, long after Frawley was gone, so the new music cues were not a huge deal to me.

8. timk1041

timk1041 Agent

Timothy

9. timk1041

timk1041 Agent

Timothy

10. timk1041

timk1041 Agent

Timothy
    Shame on CBS!

11. Message #71 of 111 May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    They lost a good chance recently to fix past sins. I'm pretty sure I've seen a combined season 1 & 2 set at Wal-Mart within the past year at a good price. Would've been a good way to reset things and get season 3 off on a good footing.

I hope this succeeds, season 1 and 2 get reissued in complete form, and we at least get through season 9 before stalling. The early color seasons and then the move to California and Robbie meeting Katie, getting married, and having triplets were great. I'm personally not such a big fan of the cast additions afterwards.

Sounds like wishful thinking, alas. I think that's one reason why despite hoping to see this happen, I'm not as excited as I should be. That and I already had the rug pulled out from under me once.

I was in college when season 1 appeared, bought them at Wal-Mart between classes on release day, then read the news here in a computer lab afterwards before getting home. It was many years before I had the heart to take the shrinkwrap off and pop in disc 1.

I only acquired season 2 late last year. Kind of would like to see about digging into it and replacing the audio myself, which partly was why I bought it. But it's a big project that I may never get to.

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    With the way CBS is trickling out their vintage releases at a snail's pace, I doubt very much we will ever see the color years. I would be grateful for the remainder of the B&W run as I have most of the color eps uncut already (though official releases with cover art would be nice). I am not a big fan of Season 10 when the show basically became "My New Wife and Stepdaughter" and focused WAY too much on Barbara and Dodie. However, I thought Ronne Troup was a big breath of fresh air and the conflict with her parents and her chemistry with Chip really made Season 11 a big improvement. Also, Dodie actually became tolerable that year.

LeoA likes this.
  13. Message #73 of 111 May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I bought the 1st two seasons and really enjoyed them. I had never seen any of the b & w episodes. I grew up watching the color Ernie years in reruns so the music changes did not bother me that much. I definitely noticed the music doesn't sound right and is mixed too loud but since I don't know the original music I would rather have these than nothing at all. The show is really good. I will get this when the price drops a bit. I think these mod releases will be the standard for whats left of TV on DVD pretty soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Beverly Hillbillies continued this way which to me is a good thing since we will get faster releases if they drop retail from the picture.
    While the $34.99 a volume list price is high it is standard for CBS split season sets. Gunsmoke and Bonanza go for close to this price until they have been available for a year or more. Season 1 and 2 of My Three Sons originally had a list of $29.99 each volume. I remember paying around $22-$24 for each volume on amazon.

Ron1973 likes this.
  14. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    My contact at CBS has advised that the music in season three is unchanged. Based on that I’m ordering it.

15. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks for sharing that info, Gary! That is fantastic news!!!

Professor Echo and Flashgear like this.
  16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Is this release 100% confirmed BOD? Amazon doesn't indicate this in their listing which leave me hopefull it's MOD in the same way Warner's BR Archive titles are MOD. Pressed copies with possible limited amounts.

17. Ron_B

Ron_B Extra

I haven't had a chance to dive into my copies received earlier this week, but I can tell you they weren't pressed. The resolution of the cover art is also sub-par. Not a game-changer though.

Flashgear likes this.
  18. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    I'll take MOD over nothing, any day. If this is the way that CBS is able to release this series and it is uncut with original music, I'll take it!

19. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I agree. As I mentioned in a previous post , I've already ordered these. I'd love to have factory pressed DVDs , with the original music cues , but I LIKE this show quite a bit , so I'll take what they release , which is much better than nothing at all.

20. classictvfan40

classictvfan40 Second Unit

Ron
    I've never seen Amazon release pressed DVDs. I bought one of the seasons of Growing Pains from Amazon and wasn't happy with the PQ. The only ones that have pressed DVD on MOD are WB archive.