What's new

Question About "My Three Sons" (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Great news about the Australian release, if it pans out. Should we assume that the first two seasons will suffer from the same music substitution problems that plagued the CBS / Paramount R1 releases?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Great news about the Australian release, if it pans out. Should we assume that the first two seasons will suffer from the same music substitution problems that plagued the CBS / Paramount R1 releases?
I've noticed that foreign releases sometimes have fewer music substitutions due to rights issues differing in other parts of the world. It's probably a wait and see (or hear, rather!) thing, though.

CHEERS! :)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I've noticed that foreign releases sometimes have fewer music substitutions due to rights issues differing in other parts of the world. It's probably a wait and see (or hear, rather!) thing, though.

CHEERS! :)
Can we dare to dream that these releases from Australia will have unedited episodes and no music substitutions???

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Feel free to dream, but I can’t think of a single instance where this company has offered a product that differed to the US version, disc content wise. If they can throw something straight onto a disc with little effort, that’s usually what they choose to do. Still my favourite Australian company though, as you don’t see anyone else releasing a set like this.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I doubt it, at least for the first two seasons.

I'd bet money that the HD transfers that CBS has on file for seasons 1 and 2 are the edited versions used for their previous DVD releases, which is why they're the versions aired on Me TV.

I would hope the unedited originals are digitally archived, but seeing them be pulled out for use sounds too good to be true. Would sure love to see it happen though.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Dawn, I didn't see a link in your post above...would you mind sharing just which company it is in Australia that's planning on releasing the My Three Sons set? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
You can never tell about these things. Yes. I agree. It is probably too good to be true. I wouldn't mind too much with some slightly edited episodes, but it would be nice if the original music cues were in there. We'll see what happens.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Most of the smaller companies are just going to put on disk what they receive. So I think the question here is whether they licensed distribution rights with source coming directly from CBS, which would likely mean the exact same source as was used for the CBS release. Or did they license but use a source already available to them, which may or may not be syndicated and may or may not have edits, and may be varying in quality of the prints.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Dawn, I didn't see a link in your post above...would you mind sharing just which company it is in Australia that's planning on releasing the My Three Sons set? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
This is the only source so far : https://stack.com.au/australian-release-dates-movies-tv/

The naming style suggests that it is coming from Via Vision Entertainment. There aren't really any other companies left that would be prepared to put out a set like this in Australia.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Not being a My Three Sons expert, was there an episode where Bub leaves or did a season 5 episode begin with Steve mentioning that Bub has gone to Ireland to take care of his sick mother?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Yeah, it's explained what happened to him (As are the others). But it's not as fun as a mystery.

About all that we don't actually know is what tragedy led to Steve becoming a widower, what happened originally to make Ernie an orphan (He became a Douglas though because his foster parents had to move and rules wouldn't allow him to move out of the county to stay with them), and what happened to Barbara's late first husband.

The kids even telephone Mike and Sally in the episode where they think Steve is going to elope with a young woman and they're afraid they're going to be in the way (Uncle Charlie plans to go back to sea while the kids will be moving east to stay temporarily with Mike). If I'm not mistaken, that perhaps is the only time they're ever mentioned after the wedding when the series changed networks and went color.

Of course they went the Happy Days route eventually, with Mike never mentioned again, Robbie being the firstborn, etc.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The question though-identical to the U.S. releases from CBS with the music substitutions and edited episodes? Or just in terms of overall picture and sound quality?

We'll just have to wait for early reviews to find out, I guess. I suppose the skeptical comments above, about this company (Shock Entertainment) likely using the exact same masters as CBS / Paramount did, are probably correct...but who knows, we might get lucky. And from my experience, shipping from Australia is quite expensive, especially for a 24-disc DVD set, so plan to add at least $20 or more onto the final cost.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We'll just have to wait for early reviews to find out, I guess. I suppose the skeptical comments above, about this company (Shock Entertainment) likely using the exact same masters as CBS / Paramount did, are probably correct...but who knows, we might get lucky. And from my experience, shipping from Australia is quite expensive, especially for a 24-disc DVD set, so plan to add at least $20 or more onto the final cost.

Yes, but the Australian dollar vs. the US dollar is quite a favorable exchange rate. So that $99.99 set is about $66 bucks before shipping. Even adding in $20 USD in shipping will take us to just a bit over the price for two of the MOD sets (one single season), and less than the $99.99 sicker price.

Still a hell of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks