What's new

Question about Make Room for Daddy (a.k.a. The Danny Thomas Show) (2 Viewers)

mark-edk

Second Unit
Roughly halfway into Season one comes a flashback episode to Danny's honeymoon, the same Vegas one featured in episode one. Only this focused more on the kids, using previously unseen footage filmed in and around Vegas at the same time as the premiere. Was the premiere meant to be a two-parter, or maybe a one-hour special? Or was this mid-season flashback the plan all along? (Sheldon Leonard has a non-speaking cameo.)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I suspect that you'd need a capture card on a PC, with the video/audio routed to it from a second device that's actually doing the streaming. Probably territory that is going out of bounds to say much more about.

Unlike free to play YouTube videos, I don't think there's going to be a way to rip something like that directly to preserve for a future viewing.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Roughly halfway into Season one comes a flashback episode to Danny's honeymoon, the same Vegas one featured in episode one. Only this focused more on the kids, using previously unseen footage filmed in and around Vegas at the same time as the premiere. Was the premiere meant to be a two-parter, or maybe a one-hour special? Or was this mid-season flashback the plan all along? (Sheldon Leonard has a non-speaking cameo.)

The premiere was meant to be a two-parter, but they re-cut it when it was thought they should get to the regular format shows more quickly. As you noted it became a flashback episode later in the season.

Really enjoying these shows on Amazon; I had forgotten how much I liked the show when I was a wee lad. Every once in a while though there are audio sync issues but they clear up after a minute or two.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
If you have AMAZON PRIME are they free to watch ? And they are UNCUT with original opening credits?

Tom.W

Second Unit
I suspect that you'd need a capture card on a PC, with the video/audio routed to it from a second device that's actually doing the streaming. Probably territory that is going out of bounds to say much more about.

Most capture devices use component cables (routed to a pc via usb) as a means of legitimately capturing signal for time shifting or gaming. You wouldn't get 1080p, as it is with streaming, but it'll probably still look very good. I hope Amazon keeps it online indefinitely, unlike Warner Instant, which took down the majority of Hawaiian Eye episodes almost as soon as they were up on the website.

mark-edk

Second Unit
For some reason I can't watch Season 3 Ep 7 Terry Goes Bohemian. It wants me to pay $2.99 to buy it. All the other eps (so far) play fine.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Off topic but Amazon also has two seasons of Relic Hunter in widescreen. It was only issued p&s on dvd here (I think one season came out in widescreen in Europe). They look good.

mark-edk

Second Unit
In the little green men episode Terry addresses her fiancé correctly as Pat, then a few seconds later she calls him Charlie. They just kept going, what with filming before a live audience and all. Every once in a while I can see Rusty trying not to laugh as well. (I also like the bits when they have Danny singing with the orchestra behind him...and they’re really playing, not faking it to a prerecorded track. At least it looks to me that’s what they’re doing.)

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
(I also like the bits when they have Danny singing with the orchestra behind him...and they’re really playing, not faking it to a prerecorded track. At least it looks to me that’s what they’re doing.)
Musical director Earle Hagen stated once in an interview the musical numbers were performed live.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
This season I already have on DVD.....Wonder if AMAZON will do more seasons ??

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
In addition to prime streaming, they are also available for sale. No need to steal them.

I can buy them and burn them to a DVD? I don't think so. I can buy them and do what, watch them on my computer? I don't watch TV shows on my computer.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I can buy them and burn them to a DVD? I don't think so. I can buy them and do what, watch them on my computer? I don't watch TV shows on my computer.
I guess it's been a while since you purchased a new TV or disc player. Pretty much all of them come with the ability to stream online content now.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's been a while since you purchased a new TV or disc player. Pretty much all of them come with the ability to stream online content now.

Well, considering that almost everything I watch is old TV shows from the 50s and 60s, I don't desire a 16x9 set to watch 4x3 programs. Not to mention the fact that if you watch something from VHS, especially if its a dub, it looks ten times worse on a high def set than it does on a normal television. I don't really care about movies nor new TV shows so I don't see the point.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I make a point to purchase hardware which does not include such unnecessary "frills." That's what streaming boxes are for. Those TVs and disc players with built-in streaming apps become obsolete far faster than my "dumb" ones. Plus I don't have to worry about unwanted and/or unneeded updates coming in without my permission.

Plus S7/3 is not yet available on physical media. Just streaming. And it's not available as a season, just on an episode basis at $2 each in SD and $3 each in HD. That's $64-$96 for the season, which is too high for physical and outrageous for streaming "ownership*."

*Streaming isn't owning by any stretch of the definition.

Is there a way to record them?
AFAIK, that's possible only with an Amazon "Fire" tablet. You can download the episodes, or should be able to, I've not checked on this one, for later playback. But there's no way I know of to get them off the device for non Fire use. Once upon a time it was possible to download purchased movie files and put them on disc or a media server but Amazon removed that option a couple of years ago.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I make a point to purchase hardware which does not include such unnecessary "frills." That's what streaming boxes are for. Those TVs and disc players with built-in streaming apps become obsolete far faster than my "dumb" ones. Plus I don't have to worry about unwanted and/or unneeded updates coming in without my permission.

Plus S7/3 is not yet available on physical media. Just streaming. And it's not available as a season, just on an episode basis at $2 each in SD and $3 each in HD. That's $64-$96 for the season, which is too high for physical and outrageous for streaming "ownership*."

*Streaming isn't owning by any stretch of the definition.

AFAIK, that's possible only with an Amazon "Fire" tablet. You can download the episodes, or should be able to, I've not checked on this one, for later playback. But there's no way I know of to get them off the device for non Fire use. Once upon a time it was possible to download purchased movie files and put them on disc or a media server but Amazon removed that option a couple of years ago.
In that case, count me out if/when Amazon streaming ever becomes an option in Canada! UGH!!!! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks