What's new

Question about Make Room for Daddy (a.k.a. The Danny Thomas Show) (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Amazon streaming is available in Canada if you have Prime, but it's really only useful for their original productions.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This season I already have on DVD.....Wonder if AMAZON will do more seasons ??
What Amazon currently has is not correctly labeled according to the correct seasons.
Season 1 = Season 5
Season 2 = Season 6
Season 3 = Season 7

Only Season 5 and 6 were released on DVD. Season 7 has never been released on DVD. So I started there. Hopefully they will add more seasons since no one seems to want to release this show on DVD.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Last night watched the episode that was a pilot for Andy Griffith--I actually remember seeing this when it aired on CBS...makes me kind of old doesn't it? This time I noticed several choppy edits (they apparently had to do a lot of trimming to get this into a half-hour time slot). Plus the scene where Andy is dickering with the guy over a rented suit had some odd cropping and a few optical zoom-ins, apparently to hide the fact that there was another person in the scene, sitting in a chair across from Andy. You can just make out parts of a leg and a hand on the left edge of the screen that would not have been visible on the TVs of the time. Wonder who it was...

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Last night watched the episode that was a pilot for Andy Griffith--I actually remember seeing this when it aired on CBS...makes me kind of old doesn't it? This time I noticed several choppy edits (they apparently had to do a lot of trimming to get this into a half-hour time slot). Plus the scene where Andy is dickering with the guy over a rented suit had some odd cropping and a few optical zoom-ins, apparently to hide the fact that there was another person in the scene, sitting in a chair across from Andy. You can just make out parts of a leg and a hand on the left edge of the screen that would not have been visible on the TVs of the time. Wonder who it was...
FYI for those who don't know, there is a beautiful HD transfer of this episode with original opening and cast commercial on the CBS blu ray release of The Andy Griffith Show Season 1.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Finished up season 'three'. Kind of ironic how Danny tells his newly married daughter 'you'll always be in my life' in what I think may be her last appearance in the series. Presumably the same is true for Pat Harrigan. I remember him being a part of the show so vividly it surprised me to find he was just a recurring character for one season.

In the season finale Danny tells the story of his early career, and how he worked at a theater in Detroit. This rang a bell with me, because my mom liked to tell the story of the time she went to downtown Detroit and saw this young comic named Amos Jacobs. She'd recall how she was sure he'd never make it in show business, and laugh about her faulty forecast.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
That was Terry’s last appearance in the regular series. She turned up in the first episode of the revival series, “Make Room for Granddaddy”, 10 years later, played by the original actress, Sherry Jackson. She is now married to someone other than Pat, and drops off her son for Danny and Kathy to look after, setting up the premise of the new series.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Is there a way to record them?
I finally remembered and checked last night. It is possible to download the episodes to a Fire tablet for offline/later viewing. But there's no way I know of to get them off that device to play on a computer or other device.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, I remember reading -- and, of course, this was like 50 years ago -- that no one on the set of "That Girl" could wear yellow but her. :rolleyes:

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Oh, yes, me, too. About 50 years ago, he came to my town for a St. Jude charity event, and a woman who was there told my friend that he spent most of his time hitting on the women.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I've been watching this via the Filmrise app. They have seasons 8-11 which I haven't seen since the 60s. Interesting to hear the theme from 'The Bill Dana Show' a year before that show premiered; it was used as background scoring during some of Jose's appearances on 'Danny Thomas'. Before season 9 Charlie's wife was unseen, and was known as 'Myrtle'. Pat Carroll (who proved to be a good addition to the show) as Bunny Halper helps take the load off the two main stars, and they made perfect 'babysitters' during the overseas tour. (It turns out Bunny's name was actually Bufordina, so the character had THREE names in total.) Season 10 was the odd experiment of having Danny do a European tour with his wife and agent (Sheldon Leonard) accompanying him. They actually did shoot about 8 or so eps in various European countries, and back in the states shot some short intros for other eps where they pretended to be in a hotel room reading mail from home, dissolving into the week's story of Rusty and Linda with Uncle Charlie and Aunt Bunny. In the Venice episode Danny discovered Piccolo Pupa that child singing sensation they brought back to America. She even made a few records in the US before going back home and retiring from showbiz. The shows filmed abroad aren't as funny as the regular ones, though the one with Piccolo, and the excursion to Ireland to meet Kathy's relatives, were pretty good (Ireland was actually filmed in England according to the credits). The Filmrise prints are good, but the channel has its problems. They have the episodes in order according to IMDB, but that order has several errors in it. As a result, the episode where Charlie learns he's about to be a Dad is placed after the episode where Charlie shops for baby essentials. And in season ten the last episode (with Danny back home) is misnumbered and appears during the overseas shows. If they had used the Wikipedia episode list they would've gotten it right. (And don't get me started on those clumsy, awful, terrible Filmrise ad breaks.)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
When the show was being syndicated in the 80s by Weiss Global communications, they mastered it to tape at a pre-cut length of about 22:15 or so. Unlike larger distributors who had the good sense and foresight to transfer to tape uncut and then make a syndication version from that, Weiss only prepped the cut version. These are the only tape copies that have been around for the last thirty years. Also, the package of episodes was cut back as well, eliminating seasons 10 & 11, thus shortening the number of shows to 161 I believe. When this show was bought and aired on Nick at Nite, it was actually the show which caused Nick to begin cutting. Prior to picking up MRFD, Nick ran all of their series complete and uncut. When they started to run MRFD in edited form with several minutes missing, they found that the viewers didn't complain and didn't protest and that was when they decided to edit everything they ran.
Currently the series is in the hands of SFM Entertainment. Not sure if they are using the same transfers that were done 30 years ago or if they did new transfers but either way, they also only have butchered versions to make available. The only uncut episodes anywhere are the sixth season ones the Smore did for their DVD release.
That seems to be standard for the era, but -- I never followed the show that much, but a friend who is a big fan told me in the late 1980s or early 1990s when the show was airing simultaneously on Nick At Nite and WGBO-Channel 66 in Chicago, both versions were cut, but often cut in different places like in the old 16mm film chain days.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The situation with the MRFD episodes with Jean Hagen reminds me of Bob Barker and The Price is Right. The death of Danny Thomas did not lift the ban on her episodes, and I doubt it will be any different with TPIR when Barker passes away.

Barker is such a stupid moron. He acts like he owns the rights to every episode, even though he doesn't (fremantle does). These were the episodes he ordered a ban on:

Anything with fur coats (including the first episode; 1972-1980's)
Anything with models he had the biggest grudge with (especially Holly Hallstrom; 1977-1995 she served)
What's bizarre is when a "Best Of" set was released, there's a selection of shows from about 1972-75 (as you mentioned, not including the first episode) and then they include the whole final Bob Barker week. The effect is pretty jarring if you're watching them in order on the DVDs -- boom, Bob Barker is suddenly an old man.

I remember reading somewhere that there was some ill feeling towards Rod Roddy (who replaced Johnny Olsen as the announcer after Olsen died) and even though Roddy had since also died, Barker didn't want him on the set either. That wipes out a lot of years.

But this is all hearsay, besides being off-topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks